Thread: travel tray?

Default travel tray?

Are the hard plasic travel tray that you hook onto the seat in front of your child safe to use? I just bought one for ds, but then I realized that I should ask here just in case they aren't safe for some reason.

Thanks
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

In theory, you don't want anything hard that could fly around the car or be a landing spot for your kid's head in a crash (heads fly forward and down in a crash, legs fly up and forward), so I tend to prefer softer trays like this one... http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Tr.../dp/B0033A42JE (got a bad review, but gosh, what does a 19 month old need a tray for?) Or this one... http://www.amazon.com/Star-Kids-Snac.../dp/B000KJBFC8 I have that and like it, though we haven't gone on any long trips or tried to do any coloring on it yet.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

glad i asked is it a attached to the seat in front of him, but maybe it still isn't good?

so any of you smart mamas have any ideas for me? I don't specifically need a tray, but i want something that i can put his sippy cut, his snack and a couple toys for him that he can reach without me having to get it for him (which is very hard to do while driving) we have a mini van, but no console in the middle of the back captain seats and the only ones i found would be too low for him.

thanks for your help!

p.s-we are in canada so internet sites aren't so helpful

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have the second one that jools linked (the blue one) and we love it! It's soft enough not to be a worry in a crash, but sturdy enough for my daughter to color on, eat on, etc. I like the edges because they keep sippies, crayons, etc within reach for her.

ya, the second one looks nice, i like that there is a space to put sippy and snack on the sides. does it attach to anything or you just stick it on their lap?

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    I have the second one that jools linked (the blue one) and we love it! It's soft enough not to be a worry in a crash, but sturdy enough for my daughter to color on, eat on, etc. I like the edges because they keep sippies, crayons, etc within reach for her.
    How do you use it? We've got it and have not figured out how to make it work!
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, with my Britax, I just take the straps and wrap them around the back of the seat (through the slots where the latch belt is. With my Nautilus, if I snapped it like it should be, it covers the Nautlis's cupholder, so I just place it on her lap. Never had issues with it either way.

Here are some other pics. If I can remember I will try to take pictures of mine with my daughter using it.

Here's another mother's review of it: http://untrainedhousewife.com/review...ay-travel-tray