Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First post & having a meltdown!

Hello everyone! I'm "tnrnchick"...I'm an NICU nurse who is pregnant with her first child! I'm due June 3, 2008.

AND I'M FREAKING OUT!!!! There are SO many choices & decisions to make!!! I have NO clue how to start!!! And of course I'm anal about safety, price, and safety!

I have a limited exposure to some baby products because of my nursing career. Things like diapers, wipes, swings and bouncy seats I got under control. But all the other "stuff"...I know some of the stuff that works for preemies, but I HOPE & PRAY I don't HAVE a preemie!

Thankfully my sister-in-law told me to rush out and buy the Baby Bargains book...and I did and am reading it now.

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

First, welcome and congrats on your pregnancy!

Yes, there are tons of choices and decisions, but honestly, you know way more than you think you do. I promise.

In the beginning, you basically bring home a 'meatloaf in a dipe' who only wants to eat, sleep, and have a clean, dry dipe for the first three months.

Thankfully, whatever supreme being/deity/greater power above there is had some forethought and knew to slowly ease new Mommies into this thing called parenthood. Just when you think you finally have a complete handle on everything, a new stage happens. For 18 years!

So, deep breaths. We've all been through it. That's the beauty of this place. No matter what, chances are, somebody here will have an answer for you.

Again, congrats, and I look forward to 'seeing' you around!

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa6826
    First, welcome and congrats on your pregnancy!

Yes, there are tons of choices and decisions, but honestly, you know way more than you think you do. I promise. ...

So, deep breaths. We've all been through it. That's the beauty of this place. No matter what, chances are, somebody here will have an answer for you.

Again, congrats, and I look forward to 'seeing' you around!

-m
    Thanks! I know its probably just the hormones right now...

But trying to decide about cribs and strollers and carseats...the MAJOR stuff! AUGH!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hello
    Im a mom of 3 and even the things I THOUGHT I hand under control sometimes I find isnt the case.... DS3 was allergic to disposible diapers so I came here and found ( as my DH called it) the Cloth diapering underworld LOL. This board is a great resource for anything you are looking for options on. Bottles, diapers, baby wash, bouncers, birth options, breastfeeding, along with fun things like getting to post the picture of your child making a xylophone out of panty liners on your toilet! You can find great solutions to many problems like say... what to do if your kid spills half a bottle of laundry soap on your carpet

Motherhood is the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me but hang on its a wild ride!
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the Boards. I will warn you it is a dangerous addiction! Just start listing your questions, no matter how wacky they might seem, and some knowledgeable Mama will have the answer.

Congrats on your little one!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Welcome to the boards, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

I firmly believe that one of the reasons pregnancy lasts so long is to give us time to prepare. Baby Bargains will be a huge help, and these boards are amazing. I only wish I had found them earlier. There are so many wise mamas (and a few papas!) here that are full of great information. The BBB is a GREAT resource.

Looking forward to getting to "know" you!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

marit is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Welcome!

I remember the first time my husband bought a toy off the shelves without me researching to death what the best option is. I was so angry!

Really, everything you can but in this country is safe, it is so regulated, we're not in a 3rd world country. So think of it as having to makes choices between very good and excellent, there are no bad choices. If you enjoy the research, go ahead and do it, if it causes too much stress, just buy whatever and you'll be fine!

Congrats!
    Marit

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74

But trying to decide about cribs and strollers and carseats...the MAJOR stuff! AUGH!
    Definitely research, but I highly recommend holding off actually buying stuff until the last minute. Carseats expire, strollers are forever going on sale/coming out with newer, cooler options, etc.

And cribs, well, I don't think there's a single baby here that slept in a crib until it was at least 3 or 4m old. All of them either co-slept, or in a bassinett, or co-sleeper in their parent's room. So, you definitely have time.

Believe me, I KNOW the feeling of wanting to have it all done, but you really do have time. Enjoy being able to sleep, go to the movies, read a book uninterrupted (oh, I miss those days!!!).

And, btw, how cool that you're a NICU nurse . I just bought my books yesterday for my pre-reqs to go back to school for nursing. I start in January. That A&P book has thoroughly scared the hell out of me!

hugs

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Welcome! This is a great place for support and more info than you know what to do with. Just ask!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74
    Thanks! I know its probably just the hormones right now...

No, the major stuff is loving your kid. You can figure out the merchandise as you go along. The only thing you need to leave the hospital is a car seat.

FTR, nearly everything I owned for my son before he arrived was totally the wrong thing for us. Not because they were bad products, but because I did not know how my baby and I would need/use them until I met the little kiddo. So there is a lot to be said IMO for waiting and buying stuff after you have a kid to test drive it.

Welcome. And congrats on the pregnancy!
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast