Default used breast pump?

I just read the section on breast pumps in the baby bargains book. It's clearly stated that purchasing a used pump is not recommended. The reason given is "the risk of exposing your baby to any pathogens in the previous user's breast milk is not worth it" since the used pump can collect milk in the pump mechanism.

However, the same chapter says it's fine to rent a breast pump from the hospital to try it out. A bit of a disclaimer here...I'm completely new to this but wouldn't the rental pump have the possibility of collecting milk in the pump mechanism too?

I'd like to know the real risk of purchasing a used breast pump. From the way it's described in the Baby Bargains book, there's no mention of any possibility to sterilize (clean out) a used pump. Is this a correct assumption?
    soon to be daddy of twin girls! due date: 03/17/08

Welcome to the boards! The difference between most single user pumps (such as the Medela Pump in Styles) and the ones hospitals rent out is that the rental pumps are a closed system. They have much stronger motors to last them through multiple users and they are designed so that it's impossible for any milk to get into the motor. Most single user pumps do not have a closed system, although I believe the Ameda Purely Yours (and maybe it's counterpart that's labelled under the Lansinoh brand) are single user pumps that do have closed systems.

Some people feel ok with using a used pump as long as they know the person that they're borrowing/buying it from well and trust that they are disease free. Here's an interesting thread from the MDC boards discussing this very issue, with a few anecdotal stories of actual disease transmission from open systems. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=804048 (it's a bit long but I think the stories start on page 3 or so)

HTH!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

I am not sure what's right or wrong when it comes to this, but after what we paid for our PISA, I can't imagine everyone could afford a new one. I think the thread is great and does a great job of debating both sides. I think it comes to a personal decision for the buyer.

That being said, I would replace all parts except the motor (main unit) if I bought a used one.

One other thought- my PISA died after about 7 months of continual use with DD (and maybe hauling it back and forth to work didn't help). Anyway, Medela was awesome and sent me a new one the next day (without waiting to get the original back). I mention this because I would factor it into the purchase price of a used one. You may end up getting something that goes kapoot on you before you are done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by emilys_mom
    You may end up getting something that goes kapoot on you before you are done with it.
    This is actually the point that I always make when this topic comes up...

When my DD was born, a friend (who I trusted) offered her used pump to me. I asked my lactation consultant, who said that yes there is CHANCE of the health issue, but her larger concern was the life of the motor. My friend had pumped exclusively for 6 months...I was pumping to increase supply and my LC felt that there was a good chance the motor would be worn down. The rentals are much stronger.

You might consider starting out with a rental to see how the whole arrangement works for you and then buying a pump later...

Good luck!
    Jessica

Do most hospitals allow you to rent a pump?
    Mom to an adorable girl born 3/23/08

All the hospitals in my area do have pumps for rent, and I know my pediatrician also had advice on where to rent one. FWIW, the reason I quit pumping at 7 mos. with DD was due to supply issues, and my OB told me last week I should have tried renting a hospital grade pump- that it may have made a huge difference. Who knows if it would have, but if I run into that problem again, I may try.

It really depends on your comfort level, and how often you're going to need to pump. I'm a SAHM, so I only needed to pump occasionally (to increase my supply and on the rare occassion DS and I were separated). I borrowed a Medela PIS from a family member, and it worked fine.

If I were working outside the home, I probably would have purchased a new pump (or rented a hospital pump, especially if I had to exclusively pump).
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

There are 2 pumps that I know of that have closed pump systems that are personal use pumps, not hospital grade, and they are Ameda Purely Yours and Playtex Embrace. Playtex is not that popular, but the Ameda Purely Yours is gaining as much notoriety as the Medela PIS. You can find used Ameda's on Craigslist, they are also more affordable new than the Ameda.