Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We went through a similar sort of dilemma a month or so ago when we were looking for a new car. DH and I didn't quite agree about how much we were going to spend on my car and it really frustrated me. Ultimately, dh and I compromised on a price and found a car that I really love.

ITA that if you have decided on a price point and the car that you want is in that price range that your dh shouldn't be the one telling you what to buy. You should go with what you want. I loved my ancient 1988 VW Jetta that I just had to send to the junkyard on Friday. I cried a bit as the wrecker picked it up. In recent years, though the Jettas haven't had great reliability.

ETC: I spoke before I really looked at CR. Consumer Reports DOES recommend the new Jetta now and predicts reliability to be good.

VWs have a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty, BTW. They've never had a 100,000 mile warranty. I know people that love their VWs. I do know that there is no reason that you have to take a car to the dealer for warranty service. Any licensed mechanic shop can perform warranty service on a car, most people just use the dealer. If you are that far away from the dealer, though, you can try to find a reputable shop in your area that specializes in German cars. I really wouldn't buy one if you don't have someone in your area that knows VWs well, though. They can be tricky to fix. I had an awesome mechanic who only worked on VWs and Audis and I'm going to miss him now that I don't have my VW any more.

On other thing to keep in mind is that the Jetta's backseat is not huge. If you are planning to add another baby to the family anytime soon, it may be a challenge to get 2 carseats back there without pushing the front seats up pretty far.
    Last edited by daniele_ut; 12-16-2007 at 11:12 PM.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think your DH has a valid point about a dealer 2 hours away. PITA, IMO.

That said, he should otherwise be as flexible as possible. I do think of marriage as partnerships and if you are a team, his opinion counts, but.... he should be as supportive as possible in finding something that makes you happy and he can live with.

I think you should hold your ground and check on local service for the VW. The dealer may be able to recommend a shop since they know they're too far away for you to take it to them for oil changes and other routine maintenance.

Have you driven an Acura yet?
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Thanks for the support and advice, y'all.

We bought....

Nothing!

We just couldn't seem to agree, and it was turning into an argument, which neither of us really wanted. So we're going to take some time and do some more research, and we'll buy something closer to summertime, when there will be better rebates on 2008 models.

So I don't have a new car, but there's peace in our household. All's well.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

Well, hopefully you will be able to find something you both agree on, and get a great deal at the same time!

My sister has a Jetta, and likes it, but definitely doesn't love it. She feels it is too small (she used to drive an Altima, which is a little bigger),

And I had a Subaru, and while they are AWESOME, the backseats are tiny, and its hard to get a carseat in there and fit in the front seat. Thats why we now have a minivan .

I hate car shopping, it is so stressful. Glad to hear you guys have agreed on something (even if its just to wait).

Kathy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2