Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    haugerok Guest

Default Babi Italia cribs, etc.

We are considering purchasing a Babi Italia crib from the local Babies R Us. Most of the models I've seen have a built-in drawer, which I've decided is a must for me. I tried out the crib release mechanisms on all of them, and most were sticky and a bit clumsy. I don't know if this is just a result of them being display models (everybody and her sister tests the hardware), or if the BRU staff does a poor job of assembly, or what. Does anybody here have a BI crib, or at least consider buying one? Also, I'm wondering about the case pieces that match. Is there any satisfaction/dissatisfaction with those that you can share with me? Thanks!

venka Guest

Default RE: Babi Italia cribs, etc.

I'm also curious about this as I just went to BRU yesterday. I found that some Babi Italia cribs had smooth releases and were sturdy, but others' siderails "caught" a bit. Also the underneath drawer on one of them was stuck altogether and wouldn't open past about 5 inches. That leads me to believe it's more to do with who happened to put them together and how much abuse they've had in the store than how well the crib parts themselves are manufactured. At least I hope so... we're looking at the Babi Italia "Grace" model.

Good luck!
    Susan
    www.susancourt.com

Monica Guest

We just bought the Babi Italia Victoria crib and my husband put it together last weekend with no problems (however, there was a page missing in the instructions regarding putting the mattress in, but he figured it out just fine). I believe the problem is with whoever put it together at the store, and the abuse of customers. So far the railing does not stick at all, and the drawer opens smoothly. As for the related pieces, we ordered a matching changing table, however, it has to be shipped from another location as it was not in stock. I would not hesitate to purchase the Babi Italia crib.

MommyMellie Guest

My husband and I purchased the Babi Italia Westgate Grace crib and finally put it up a few weeks ago. The rail goes up and down with ease and there are no problems with the drawer. It was actually pretty simple to put together as well. Although I don't have a baby yet to put in it (due 9/5/01) I'd recommend it based on my experience thus far.

I'm pretty sure that the stores have a combination of hastily put up cribs + the wear and tear of so many shoppers.

Good luck!

-Melissa

I have a Babi Italia crib and the drop side won't drop now that the mattress is in the lowest position. I've seen others mention that same problem,too. It worked just fine at the top position, but it doesn't really matter until you have to bend way over to put the baby down...at 20lbs, that makes a huge problem.

ShellyP Guest

I recently purchased and assembled the Gina crib from Babi Italia,at BabiesRUs, and so far we are very pleased (I too like the lower storage drawer). While I was shopping, I was given some information from the salesperson I wanted to pass along. She said the company had been having significant difficulties with the "hidden" rail release mechanisms, and they were recently redesigned. Her models since the redesign, issued over the last 3 months, were easier to operate, quieter, and no longer "sticking". She demonstrated the newer and the older models,and the differences were observable. I decided to buy a newer model because of this information, when they had a discontinued Babi Italia crib for half the price, but it had the "old" troublesome hardware, which annoyed me in the store. I cannot be sure if what she told me was true, but she was the most knowledgeable, well spoken, patient, and helpful employee I have run across in shopping at the chain (which apart from her has been a very frustrating experience). She also stated she had reservations about recommending their cribs until this new hardware came out. I thought perhaps if you do decide to purchase a Babi Italia crib, you might want to ask around about the hardware, and possibly get the newer release mechanism.
    One last caveat, Babi Italia cribs come in a very large box compared to other cribs (~4'x5'x16") which proved to be a frustration for us. It doesn't not fit in a typical hatchback/small truck, but it does fit in a minivan. Thankfully, I was warned of this before my purchase. Hope you have good shopping experience.

haugerok Guest

Thank you very much for that helpful tidbit! I hope that our local BRU staff has someone knowledgeable enough to steer us toward newer hardware.

JeffreyTCook Guest

Coming from a man's point of view...the Baby Italia Crib we purchased recently was extremely easy to put together...instructions were fine, all the pieces were there...looks very good!!

The changing table was another story...instuctions were weak, pieces didn't fit "perfectly", and I'm not feeling it was worth the money...the wife loves it, and I'm sure the baby will not care...

triangle Guest

I'm interested in the Baby Italia Victoria crib in white ($299). It is a special order item for Babies R Us and would take 12-16 weeks I would like to find it sooner. Does anyone know other chains that carry this? I live in Virginia but spend a lot of time in the RI/Boston area! Thanks.

kimberley Guest

Buy Buy Baby also sells Babi Italia-though I'm not sure if they're in the Boston area or not. You might try their web site though- or calling their store in Paramus, NJ. They could tell you how long it will take to arrive.
    Good Luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast