Default is convertible crib important?

We found a Legacy crib that we liked, but it does not convert to a toddler bed. On the Legacy web site the same style is available as a convertible. I think we might be able to get a deal on the floor sample of the non-convertible crib, but I am not sure how important is the convertible option? Is it worth paying the extra money? And has anyone had any experience with the Legacy cribs? This is our first child, but we hope to have a second by the time this child is 2yo, since I am already 42.

Thanks,
    Barbara (due 7/6/03)

KathyO Guest

Default RE: is convertible crib important?

I guess I can't say for sure, but if you plan #2 fairly close on the heels of #1, I'd get one crib and (later on) one toddler bed. Otherwise you pay extra for the convertible feature, and still have nothing for #2 when they come along. If you get one of each, then you'll be able to cover both kids simultaneously, even if #2 has to sleep in a basket or bassinette for a few months while #1 makes the transition to the bed. Plus, delaying the toddler bed purchase lets you watch for sales, and cut an even better deal.

Just my 2 cents! HTH!

KathyO

Kimberly H Guest

Both of my boys went straight to a twin bed from their cribs at around 20-24 months. The twin beds were on the floor raised from the ground with 2x4s (to allow the box springs to breathe) and we used a side rail. They loved their beds!

ddmarsh Guest

Only 1 of my 3 children that have made that transition went into a toddler bed and my 4th will evenutally go straight to a "real" bed as well. One of the main reasons is that we enjoy lying with them to read and/or get to sleep and that doesn't work very well in a toddler bed :).

Debbie