Default no drop side on crib-do we need one?

We are looking at one crib (among others) with does not have a drop side, the Pali Rosalia crib. The saleswoman said that is we took off the casters, I shouldn't have any problem lifting the baby out or putting him in the crib. I am only 5', and DH is 5'6. The height seemed ok, but then I read some posts that said when the child is larger and on the lower mattress setting, it is difficult to lean over and pick him up and out. On the other hand, some (taller) friends never drop the sides of the crib. Does anyone have any experience with this style of crib. I am so overwhelmed...
    Thanks
    Barbara

Default RE: no drop side on crib-do we need one?

Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

COElizabeth Guest

I'm 5' 5", and I can get my baby out without dropping the rail, but since I lowered the mattress I have been dropping the rail most of the time. It's less of a strain on your back. You might never have problems, but if you did strain your back, it would be hard not to have the option to drop the rail. I personally wouldn't recommend that crib, especially since you are several inches shorter than I am.

Elizabeth
    Mom to James
    9-20-02

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree - for the health of your back, get the drop side. My chiropractor reminds me over and over again to ALWAYS use the drop side (and I do), and I'm 5'4". Yes, I can put Colin down without dropping it, but the last thing I need is to throw out my back doing so.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm 5'1". The problem isn't getting them out but putting them in. Especially if they have fallen asleep in your arms and you are trying to transfer them without waking.

Some cribs without drop sides are very low to the ground, and that may or may not be a problem. But I wouldn't consider a standard height crib without a drop side.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

APG Guest

the OMLY time i ever used the drop sides on my crib was to change the sheets. P.S.--i'm only 5'4"

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

you want a drop side!!!! We have a Pali Sabrina crib and I couldn't imagine trying to put my son down when he has fallen alseep with the side up!!!! Once you have the mattress at the lowest setting which will happen sooner than you think, you will want the drop side!!! having the casters on the crib is a nice thing too when changing the sheets especially if the crib is against the wall or in a corner!

Even my Hubby at 5'11" likes to drop the side! Oh and I'm 5'5"!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

LisaS Guest

I have NEVER used the drop side of my crib (Pali Renee). I have ALWAYS just put DD right in and never had a problem with my back or otherwise - on the highest setting or on the lowest setting. I am 5'8". I also usually put DD in her crib awake. I am the anomaly here it seems but it worked for us.