tigger74 Guest

Default dressing baby for night sleep

i live in northern ca...sf bay to be exact. i'm not sure how to dress my baby at night to make sure she is warm? i've seen people say they use just the halo sleepsack, but is that enough in the winter time - if so, what temp do you keep your house at?

how/what do you dress your baby in at night during the seasons?

thanks.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: dressing baby for night sleep

Hi, there was a whole thread on this on the Lounge forum. Lots of people weighed in on what temp they keep their house at and how they dress their baby. Based on this, I'm putting DS in sleeper with socks (socks help a lot) and sleepsack this winter. Last year he was swaddled. In winter, I don't let it go below 68 at night and 68-70 during the day (New England), but you'll find lots of different responses.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

slr is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Just wanted to add that Halo sleepsacks come in cotton and fleece. Not sure if you were aware of this. If I remember correctly, last winter (during the coldest part of the season) we put our baby in a onesie, a footed fleece sleeper, and a Halo fleece sleepsack. I think we kept the temp around 68 degrees at night. We will probably do the same this year once it starts getting colder and see how it goes. We live in IL so it can get pretty cold at night.

I'm in the East Bay *wave*. Last winter we dressed E in long sleeve cotton pjs (sometimes with feet, sometimes without) and a fleece sleepsack. This is what he's sleeping in now, too (but it's been chilly at night). I also have a portable heater in his room, which I used most of the winter. The temp in his room at night was around 68F (the rest of the house drops down to 63-65 usually).

E has fleece sheets (fleecebaby) on his mattress, which helps keep him warm, too (and minimizes cold spots when he rolls around).

HTH!

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

yes, we just started using the fleece baby sheets. That coupled with the fleece carter's pj's, and he wakes up toasty.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

jam42076 Guest

We live in Ohio where it can get pretty cold in winter and hot in the summer. We try to keep our house above 68 degrees (I prefer 70!)in the winter time. I use a Halo sleepsack on my kids every night. They come in different fabrics, cotton, poly quilt, fleece and velboa. So you can find one for any season or temperature. When is is really cold here I put the sleepsack over fleece footy pajama's. When it is warm, I use the lighter weight cotton over a onesie or light weight PJ's. They are great. I really believe in sleepsacks. As a new mom, I was so afraid of SIDS. Discovering sleepsacks helped ease my mind. It was nice to know that my baby was warm AND safe! The website list all their different products and also talks about safe sleep practices.
    www.halosleep.com

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had a terrible time trying to figure out if DS was warm enough whenever he slept. Whether it was in our room in the beginning or in his crib later, it was real stress for me. Ultimately, my ped said it's better for baby to be too cold than too hot if you ahve to err on one side or the other. I never used a sleepsack, but I did use blanket sleepers, and my favorites are from The Children's Place. Use them to this day (DS is 2). Hope that helps!

leeza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

We're on the peninsula, and we keep our house on the cold side... guess it's just how I was brought up! We have it set to 68 during the day and 60 at night. We put our 18 month old in a fleece footed sleeper and a fleece sleep sack, and he sleeps very well. I'm guessing by the date of your initial post you've already figured out a solution, but I thought I'd add my .02 anyway ;)

Leeza