Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default RE: Am I the only one planning to put baby in her room right away?

I planned to put my first baby right in the crib. I think most people plan to have the baby sleep in the crib in the nursery.

But then once baby was here, it was so much easier just to have him sleep in my bed. I didn't even have to wake up to feed him, just awake enough to move him into position to latch on. It just seemed like the right thing to do for all of us.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

I can't speak for bottlefeeding but my baby is a marathon nurser so it got boring. Plus she was a nursing sleeper so I kind of did need to keep her awake somewhat.
    Vivian
    Sydney (4/03)
    Avery (2/09)

aoconnell Guest

We had our baby in our bedroom in a PNP at first, but very quickly moved her to her room, right across the hall from ours, and I slept on a twin in her room. She did just fine and I moved back into our room fairly quickly, after felt OK about her being there. Bonus: we never had an issue about her being afrad to stay alone in her room.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used a bassinet, but we put it as far away from our bedroom as possible! We have a small house, so we had no problems waking up when baby started crying.

If we didn't have a bassinet, we would have used the crib in baby's room right away.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

SusanMae Guest

My husband and I are TTC, and when we have our baby--it will go in the crib in our room. I intend to nurse, so I hope it makes it easier to have the baby in our room. Also new SIDs reccomendations came out a few months ago saying that the baby SHOULD sleep in the same ROOM as the mother, but not the same bed. Just thought I would share that info with you.

Susan

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This is another newbie mom-to-be. We're expecting our first in 3 months. We've bought a crib, but based on BB advice and the fact that we have a small place (and no storage), we decided against a bassinette or co-sleeper. The baby will sleep in our room since we live in a 1 BR! But we are also planning to put her in her crib right away. It sounds like this has worked for many people.

But how do you make them feel secure and comfortable in the big open space of the crib? I'm assuming this is the main reason people go the bassinette/moses basket route in the first place. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

jacquirapp Guest

Honestly, so much of this depends on how you choose to parent and what works for your family and your child.

For us, having the baby in another room meant I got little to no sleep b/c I was bf-ing. Having a co-sleeper attached to the bed, so that the whole SIDS issue and being worried about having your baby in your bed is a non-issue, really makes a huge difference. You can nurse and then roll over and go back to sleep while you baby is safe in the co-sleeper.

We tried to do the crib thing in another room... it was brutal on me. I had to get up and out of bed and nurse the baby, then transition the baby carefully to be sure I didn't rewake her to get her back to sleep... b/c we refused to CIO. So, I got little to no sleep b/c it was just too much.

I agree that you can think that you will definitely do one thing and then when the baby arrives, something totally different will be what pulls at your heart as a parent.

Just go with your instincts. :) You know what is best for you and your family. Some families just sleep better when the baby is safely tucked away in a crib. Other families sleep better with the baby nearby. You can't really KNOW where you fall until such time as you are there.

Look, if you realize you want a bassinette/co-sleeper, you can always run to BRU and pick one up when you get home, kwim? :)

Just trust your instincts and don't worry about what other people or books tell you. :) Pediatricians and books and other parents don't know your family.

Jacqui

eachaney Guest

We just purchased a Babi Italia Pinehurst Dropside crib for our 6 month old who has been cosleeping with us. Now we notice on the box it says MINIMUM age for use is 15 months!!!

There is nothing different about this crib that I can see. Is this a common warning? Does everyone ignore it? Help - I'm afraid to unpack the box!

Liz

kusiakje Guest

that's really weird. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the slats are wider than the recommeded 2 3/8 inches apart so that younhger babies with smaller heads could get stuck?

Anyway, there's a quick solution to your problem. Go here: http://www.keepingbabiessafe.org/rec...ts_cribs.shtml
    and make sure that this new crib of yours complies with everything on the list. If it does, no worries. If it doesn't...well...let's just hope it does.

HTH,
    Jessica

btw, your question is different enough from the previous topic that you could have just started another post.

eachaney Guest

Thanks for the reply. Heard from the company, Babi Italia, it's a misprint on the crib box which should have applied to the toddler bed. What a relief!

Liz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast