Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    sdbc Guest

Default RE: Kolcraft foam mattres at target vs Colgate recommended in book

My answer to "As intelligent, logical adults, do you really think a $30.00 foam mattress sold by a discount store that sells soup-to-nuts is going to be as good as or, as high a quality as a $99.00 foam mattress sold at a specialty juvenile store that specializes in selling better quality baby products?" is:

Yes, I absolutely do think it's possible. That is why a Pottery Barn crib by Simmons costs way more than a Simmons crib at Babies-R-Us. If you charge more, people think it's worth more. In reality, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. I can't judge unless you tell us the actual differnce between the two. Saying that something is better because it costs more or is more "exclusive" is what shouldn't make sense to intelligent, rational adults.

jastinker Guest

AMEN!!!!! Thank you for saying exactly what I thought. I was very annoyed by Colgates email and emailed the Fields' regarding this.

Just an FYI to all here as the moderator: we DO allow vendors to post to these forums when a question is posed about their products. We ask the vendors to provide facts/info to answer the query and not to purely advertise/plug their product.

So, the Colgate post here IS okay. Now, that doesn't mean folks will actually AGREE with it, but it is kosher from a moderator point of view!

Alan & Denise Fields
    authors, BABY BARGAINS

rei Guest

>Just an FYI to all here as the moderator: we DO allow vendors
    >to post to these forums when a question is posed about their
    >products. We ask the vendors to provide facts/info to answer
    >the query and not to purely advertise/plug their product.
    >
    >So, the Colgate post here IS okay. Now, that doesn't mean
    >folks will actually AGREE with it, but it is kosher from a
    >moderator point of view!
    >
    >Alan & Denise Fields
    >authors, BABY BARGAINS

But I don't see any facts in their post. It's more like "ours cost more, of course it's better you dolts!"

well, i can't comment on whether or not the colgate is WORTH more than the kolcraft, but i know that when i tested the 2 out in the store, i kneeled and squished both and could really tell the difference between the kolcraft (we felt, too soft) and the colgate (thicker, firmer). so, that's why WE went with the colgate...but NOT because it cost more! that comment seems like a fake to me, to be honest...like it was meant just to get parents riled up! real or not, i find it ironic that "colgate" would say their mattresses are better because they sell them in specialty baby stores - one such store we went to (that did not carry foam mattresses) told me that "they don't even reccommend foam anymore...they're like, not even safe". so if we went by what "specialty" baby store said, we would have had to pass on the colgate too!

having said that, i am sure we made the right choice with our colgate. we trusted the brand name for what it is - not for what it cost or where it is sold. in fact, we bought it online to save as much as possible! we aren't LOOKING to spend more (and i have a hard time believing that the colgate could cost THAT much more to make than the kolcraft) but when it comes to quality, since we found nothing that compared with the colgate, we decided we had to go for it. considering OUR mattress cost several hundred dollars, we felt it was only fair to get the best quality for our baby for the $70 difference.

intelligent parents can see right through that post. if it's real, shame on colgate - we liked you enough as it was...no need to insult parents looking to save money! ESPECIALLY on a baby BARGAINS website!

sdbc Guest

Jennyriver. I totally agree with your post. When I first read the Colgate post, I also thought it must be a fake. I couldn't believe that a company representative would say that. But the message from the Fields' makes me think it was legit.

Like I said, I have no idea if one is better than the other, but in order to be convinced, I would need a rational reason (I definitely wasn't say that Colgate necessarily wasn't better, just that the reason given was insulting and irrelevant).

Sue

We agree---Colgate could do better in discussing why their product is worth more than what they said.

So, if they want to post again---with some specific facts about quality versus the Kolcraft---that is fine with us. Remember, this was generated by a reader's question, so it is OK for Colgate to say something.

alan & denise

Jennymarie Guest

I'm an intelligent and logical adult, and I think you need to tell us what's inside your mattress that makes it so special. Surely *that* wouldn't be tactless...

Is it possible for a soup-to-nuts discounter to sell a comparable product for a fraction of the cost of yours? Sure! Maybe theirs are manufactured in China where they can pay 25 cents an hour for labor? Or maybe they have come up with a more efficient technology for manufacturing their foam? Couple that with their minimal advertising budget and the lower markup at retail than a typical baby store, and it seems totally possible that they can sell a equivalent product at a fraction of the cost. Furthermore, even if their quality is inferior, the ultimate question is whether their product is functionally equivalent for the average parent out there and whether the difference bewtween yours and theirs is meaningful enough to justify the difference in cost.

I already have a mattress, but this response irritated me so much I'm inclined to go out and buy a Target foam mattress for my dog! :)

jakobsmommie Guest

I personally PREFER the Colgate mattress.

I had been told by the ladies at an upscale baby boutique that the Colgate brand was the best one. They did carry other brands, but seemed to really like Colgate. I took their advice being a first time mom. I'm so glad I did.

I found myself sleeping with my son in his crib at times and it was definately the mattress that made it comfortable.

I know you may think I'm crazy for sleeping in my son's crib. I nursed and my DH wasn't going for the family bed thing. What else can I say.

NOW, I am pregnant with #2 and DS has transferred to a toddler bed. I have transferred the mattress to his toddler bed and will again purchase another Colgate for the new baby.

IT IS FAR WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY TO ME.

As far as the Colgate post goes.
    I think the point was intended to be. "You get what you pay for"

That's how I see it. And I am the queen of thrift, scrimp, pinch and save. I will ONLY spend EXTRA money on items that are definately QUALITY driven.

BTW - I shop at Target too, but it's usually for laundry detergent or diapers. I also LOVE Target.

Thanks and I HTH someone

Sandra
    aka - Jakobsmommie

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

OK, I'll bite. I'm interested in how you were able to safely and comfortably co-sleep in your son's crib with him, regardless of what kind of mattress was used.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast