Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default glider - does it need to recline?

Hubby and I are STUCK.

At one point, I mentioned to him that if the baby is fussy one of us may end up napping with the baby in the glider, now he is convinced that we need one that reclines....

but the "recline" feature generally adds a few hundred dollars to the price!

if you have it: do you use it?
    if you don't: do you miss it?

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: glider - does it need to recline?

Our glider does not recline. I wish that it did - maybe we'd actually use the glider once in a while! As it is, we rarely use the glider and could have easily lived without it.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

goosey77 Guest

Ours locks into positions, which is definitely a plus, but I do wish it reclined. I chose looks over function - the chair I thought looked best didn't recline. If the chair you like has that option, I would say go for it if you can swing the $$.

Are you looking at Dutaliers? If so, if you havent already done so, check out babycatalog.com. I found their prices to be the best, especially with the baby club discount.

gisele is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have to say, the recline feature is incredibly important to us. When DS is fussy, sick, we both have spent time at night sleeping in the glider with the baby. My husband has spent a lot of time in that chair with the recline and DS finally able to sleep on his lap. When DS had a bad cold, this was the only way he could sleep (on my husband's lap facing out, reclining on my husband) because he was too stuffed up to lay in his crib (even with the mattress propped up) and too miserable to not be held. I have found it invaluable.

Even when DS fell asleep nursing, I would recline it and let him snooze on me while I watch TV.

lrucci Guest

This was a feature that I just had to have on our glider. I use it a lot and I know I would have missed it had I not gotten it. It has been very helpful in getting DD to sleep. If she falls asleep after nursing, somtimes I'll recline the glider and take a little nap with her.

Lisa
    Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

I debated about this too, and ended up not getting the recline. I really regret it now. We still us our Dutalier a lot but there were, and are times I would have loved to have had this feature. If I could do it again I would definitely pay the extra for the recline.

thanks... I think I'll spring for the extra cash!

Good choice. Our glider reclines, and my husband and I both take advantage of that feature. I like it because it allows me to use gravity more to hold him on my chest, rather than arm strength alone. Early on there were times when we did end up sleeping in the glider (whether accidently or on purpose), while rocking him to sleep, and the recline was a blessing.

I was originally looking at the Dutailer that had both recline and locking, but instead opted for the reclining Dutailer at BRU and TRU that has recline but not the lock. It was a bit cheaper at those stores, but the models and fabrics are limited (unless you special order one).
    Cathleen
    Mom to DS 8, DD 5 and a Greyhound Princess

tippy Guest

Hi,

I price shopped my Dutailier to death!!! I found the lowest price at a Canadian company, Rocking Chair Store. I purchased the multi position chair that swivels, reclines, glides and locks. It was 444.00 US. I also purchased the matching gliding ottoman for 136.00 US. The whole order only ended up costing us 580.00 (I know this may seem like a lot for a rocker but it was much less than anywhere else I looked). This price included the cushions and there was no tax or shipping charges. The customer service was excellent and they were a pleasure to deal with. I am still a nursing mom to my 15 month old son and I use my glider every day. I too used the recline and locking mechanism countless times. The chair is so comfortable that there were many nights I fell asleep with AJ in my arms in the reclined position. I also couldn't live without the swivel function on my chair. I never have to struggle with pushing my ottoman out of the way (this was especially helpfull when the baby fell asleep in my arms and I just had to swivel the chair sideways,stand up and head straight for the crib). The web address is www.rockingchairstore.com

Happy Shopping and good luck.

Teva

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a stuffed rocking chair that does not recline. Don't miss it. And I've fallen asleep plenty of times in the chair with the baby in my arms!
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast