duesept05 Guest

Default Do I need a cosleeper if I have a PNP?

I have a Graco Pack and Play, and just recieved an Arm's Reach Mini Co-Sleeper as a gift. My question is, do I need both or should I return one of the items and get something else?

FYI - I live in a two story house if that makes any difference.

NYSarah Guest

Default RE: Do I need a cosleeper if I have a PNP?

You can use both, but I don't think you need both. We also got one of each as gifts and kept them -- and DD wouldn't sleep in either one!!

The pack and play I can see using for a while though (we still have it set up as a playpen), as a safe place to put her down in when we're doing things, even if she refuses to sleep there. The Co-Sleeper you cannot leave an unattended baby in, so if you don't use it for sleeping it's not much use (and doesn't convert to a PNP like the full-size Co-Sleeper).

Personally, if I were doing it all over again, I'd return the Co-Sleeper -- unless you really want one, of course! But if your baby will sleep in it, he or she will probably sleep in the PNP's bassinet and you can put that by your bed if you don't want to have the baby in bed with you. And it'll be useful much much longer.

Hope that helps!

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Do I need a cosleeper if I have a PNP?

We had the PNP w/bassinet and planned to use that for DD to sleep in for the first few months in our bedroom. However, the only place it would fit was across the room from our bed, which I thought would be fine. But-once we came home from the hospital, I spent basically the entire night getting up and down to check on her- was she breathing? Was the noise she just made mean she's hungry or is she just making a sleep noise? I drove myself crazy!
    I decided to return the PNP and get the mini cosleeper (actually I sent DH out to do that in tears after my 3rd sleepless night at home!), and I'm so glad I did. That thing has saved my sanity and sleep (what little I get right now!). I figure that later on, when I need a play pen (if I decide I do), I'll get a stripped down PNP without the bassinett and changing table. I love the mini cosleeper- it is right next to me in bed, I can see her sleeping, hear her breathing, lean over and soothe her, etc. without constantly getting up! So, why not keep them both for now and set up the one you think you'll use- and if it doesn't work out, you can try the other one and return whatever you don't like. BRU is pretty liberal in their return policy- when I returned the PNP I couldn't even get all the pieces back into the original box and they took it, no questions asked, and I got full store credit (I had lost the receipt).
    So, that's this new mom's advice. Hope it helps!
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010