Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RJH Guest

Default RE: Morigeau-Lepine Petite Collection 8000 Series

OOPs - replied to the wrong post!

RJH Guest

MDF stands for Medium Density Fiberboard which is a type of wood formed by broken down and powdered softwood, which is mixed with wax and resin. This is then formed by applying high temperatures to the MDF products to create the finish. MDF has to be painted (after priming usually) because transparent finishes such as stains & polyurethane won't work...there is no grain like there is in regular wood. It is basically glued together sawdust. It is used frequently in inexpensive furniture (think Sauder furniture in a box stuff) and it weighs a TON. It is also used a lot on those HGTV home improvement shows...that's how they build an armoire for $100.

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We have a crib from the 4500 series. It is made out of wood. My active DS used it until he was 3 and we will use it again for #2. The quality is outstanding. We've been really impressed with the quality of the crib and the other pieces we have from this collection. IMO the Canadian furniture brands are better made than most of what you find in the U.S., ie. PBK.

Jenn
    DS 6/03
    & cautiously expecting in May!

I realize that this is an old question but, for the sake of those still considering the 8000 series, I have info.

We just bought painted furniture from this series from a dealer who told us that the furniture was all wood. We got a great price because we bought floor models that had some paint damage that was easily fixed. The model furniture had been on the floor for about three (3) years. Even so, after delivery, I couldn't go into the nursery without getting a sore throat and the chemical smell was overwhelming. MDF furniture doesn't "air out" in a few days, despite what some salemen say. We did not notice the smell at the store because it was in a huge storage room in an old musty building and, frankly, there was so much clearly MDF (particle board) furniture right around it that we couldn't have assigned any smells to anything particular.

We had no idea what M-L series we were buying, only that it was M-L and the store owner said it was all wood. I knew that M-L did sell a good bit of all-wood furniture so I didn't pull out the drawers to look at the interior of the changing table (one of the very few spots you can see the MDF). I finally figured out it was the 8000 series from looking at the M-L website.

We tried using the AFM products to seal in the fumes and offgassing common to MDF furniture. We used SoftSeal on the raw MDF areas and HardSeal on the painted surfaces. Because we couldn't reach the ends of the boards where they joined, we used AFM caulk and 100% silicone caulk (less toxic) to try to prevent any offgassing from escaping at the seams.

To get a perfect seal on furniture, you have to do a perfect job sealing it. Needless to say, my husband lost all patience with the project and I contacted M-L to find out what they suggested and how much MDF was really in the furniture. We were hoping that we could concentrate our efforts on just a few parts of the furniture.

We learned that the ENTIRE 8000 COLLECTION is MDF and it will offgas. Interestingly, M-L asked why I couldn't smell the offgassing in the store to avoid buying it. I explained it but they clearly thought the odor should be detected even before purchase. Wowsa.

M-L was very nice and very diligent in getting back to us and trying to figure out what they could do, if anything, to help us. I have to say that I was impressed with the customer service. M-L explained that they use the MDF in some lines to be able to make cheaper furniture for parents who cannot afford all-wood and they believe it is important to reach that market. They suggested returning the furniture to the store but it was a no-return sale.

My advice:

Just be careful when you buy. Some dealers are quick to tell you that things are wood that aren't wood. Even if you are buying from a maker that ranks really high in BB, don't rely on the point-of-sale people to help you differentiate among product lines. Go home and check the actual pieces you want to buy on the maker's website. As mentioned elsewhere and in BB, some of the better makers also have low-end lines with MDF.

And do NOT buy MDF furniture. It's not worth the health risk. Formaldehyde, benzene, etc. Not safe. If you do buy it, try to seal it but really go slowly and remember that any crack, hole or unsealed seam will allow the gas an outlet. I personally don't know that it is really possible to make furniture with offgassing (high-VOC) safe enough to use with babies and children (anyone, really).

If you don't want to seal it, keep the nursery aired out -- windows open as much as possible -- keep lots of fresh air moving the gases out of the house. Many people cannot smell the gases. I can. My husband can't. Whether you smell it or not, keep fresh air in the nursery.

Best wishes!

My son is 18 months old and we have the 6000 or 6200 series. I think it's beautiful furniture. The quality seems wonderful and the construction is SOLID!!!

My son is 18 months old and we have the 6000 or 6200 series. I think it's beautiful furniture. The quality seems wonderful and the construction is SOLID!!!

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was suprised to see this old post pop up- I was in it when I had just ordered DS's furniture, before he was even born!

Now DS just turned 2, is a whopping 36 lbs, and still happy as a clam in his 4500 series crib. I can tell you after 2 years of use with a "supersized" baby that it is the nicest crib I've ever seen. beautiful finish, and solid as a rock. I can't recommend this furniture highly enough!! the HUGE changing table on the dresser has been wonderful- DS already outgrew regular sized changing tables.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2