Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NewChicagoMom7 Guest

Default I ordered furniture...and the store still hasn't delivered it - what are my options?

Hello -

I need some advise - I ordered a crib and rocking chair back in february, which were due to be delivered in mid June. They haven't arrived yet, and every time I call the store, I get horrible run-around. I have also called the corporate office and left multiple messages - does anyone have any advice on how to get my furniture? (the complicating factor is that they have delivered half my order, so I would like to get the outstanding pieces since they match!!!)

THANK YOU!

PS - to any Chicago area parents - The store in question is "My Child's Room", and they really have been very difficult in terms of customer service. THey have beautiful furniture, but it isn't worth the hassle I have already gone through!

PLEASE HELP! THanks!

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: I ordered furniture...and the store still hasn't delivered it - what are my options?

Before I even got to the bottom, I was thinking, "She's going to say A Baby's Room/A Child's Room." I have no advice for you, except that I think a lot of people have had problems with them. I believe that they changed hands sometime over the last year or two, so there were a lot of issues aroudn that. I would try calling Chicago's division of consumer affairs office and see if they have any advice or can do anything for you. I called them back in 1999 to complain about the limo rental racket and they were really helpful.

I ordered my crib from A Baby's Room back in 2002 and I actually did not have problems with it or w/ them -- it came w/in the window they said it would and since I picked it up and didn't have any matching furniture, it wasn't an issue. For children's furniture and gear, I really recommend Lazar's Furniture in Lincolnwood -- they are pricier, but also really on the ball C/Swise. I've never ordered from them, but I've also heard good things about Cella for Baby (now in Glenview, I think -- used to be right across the street from Children's Hospital in Lincoln Park), but part of the problem is that there isn't a lot of overlap in Lazar's and ACR lines (ACR's highest end line is Lazar's lowest).
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

tamar948 Guest

Default RE: I ordered furniture...and the store still hasn't delivered it - what are my options?

Oh no... I ordered furniture from them in the 1st week of June. Based on the 8 - 10 wk timeframe for arrival, I would expect to get receive the items in August. Based on your comments and the response so far, I'm starting to get very nervous. <Eep>

Just out of curiosity, which store in the did you work with?

Anyone else who ordered from them, do you think it makes a difference which store or is it the whole local chain?

*sigh*
    Tamar
    (due in Sept)

angusmom Guest

Hello,

Here's some other options you can try.

Do you know the manufacturer of the furniture you ordered? If so call them directly and ask if they are behind on manufacturing the items you are waiting for. Sometimes it's the manufacturer who hasn't delivered rather than the store that is the problem. Or sometimes you find out the manufacturer isn't having trouble filling orders but maybe the store has not paid their account so the manufacturer won't ship them.

If you paid up front for the merchandise, then you could dispute the charge with your credit card company because you havent received it. If you havent paid yet, I dont know there's much you can do except complain to the store, to the Better Business Bureau, to the manufacturer, and/or the IL Attorney General.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My friend ordered from there some time last year and she had some problems but eventually got all of her furniture right before the baby came in March 2005. She was cutting it close in the first place because she actually delayed delivery so it would go to her new house. I am sure she spent a lot of time on the phone to get her furniture. It looks like My Child's Room is no longer associated with USA Baby/The Baby's Room. Sorry I don't have any real help for you. I hope you get your pieces soon.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

missy425 Guest

I bought my furniture from The Baby's Room back in October. We put it on layaway and were told by the salesperson at the now closed Lincoln Ave store (they closed in December and moved to Niles) that the stuff we bought was in stock and we could have it delivered whenever we wanted after it was paid for. I decided to pay it off in December to have it delivered at the beginning of January. After constantly playing phone tag with the person at their main office who arranges for delivery (she never answered the phone and would only call me back when I wasn't home), I was told she didn't have my pieces and she wasn't expecting another shipment for 3 more weeks. Miraculously, a few days later she "found" a crib but no dresser. The crib was delivered at the beginning of January and the dresser came mid to late February. My baby arrived 4 weeks early in January so I was quite happy they "found" a crib. I realize this isn't much help but all I can suggest is that you keep calling and bother them. That's what I kept doing until they finally found my crib.

As far as Lazar's goes, I can't say enough about their customer service. I went there to look at mattresses as they were the only place in the area that had foam mattresses. The salesperson (I think he was the owner or something similar) explained the pros and cons of all the mattresses they had and I didn't feel any pressure to buy. I actually planned to buy my mattress there after all he did but their 2 week return policy wasn't good since my crib wasn't in yet and I was concerned they might not fit. Rather than make another trip up there, I ended up ordering online somewhere.

Good luck!

NewChicagoMom7 Guest

I ordered my furniture from the Niles Superstore. I have now involved the better buisiness bureau, and the store has actually returned a phone call - but still no word on when my furniture will be delivered!

I have since spoken to a good friend who is a labor and delivery nurse...and she has had multiple patients who also haven't had their furniture delivered!!

So - I am hoping other new Chicagoland moms can learn from my mistake - shop at My Child's Room at your own risk!!!

Mom of Katie, now 4 weeks old!

mamica is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I really hope you get your furniture soon...I know how upset you must be. I'm nervous about the possibility of having to deal with just this situation.

When I was shopping around, I had heard some scary stories about My Child's Room, and it was actually a big reason I decided not to buy anything there. I've heard that they are undergoing some financial problems, and this could be part of the reason for the delay (if the stores are having trouble making payments to their suppliers).

In fact, I know that for some customers they have reported longer delivery times for the same item (by the same manufacturer) that I ordered elsewhere (where I was given a delivery date at least 4 weeks sooner). The reason being they know they won't be able to make payments in time to get it sooner. Unfortunately it sounds like they're having trouble meeting even those longer leadtimes.

I wish I could be more reassuring, but maybe this info will help you in dealing with the store. Good luck!

tamar948 Guest

Quick question: Which furniture line did you order?
    When I spoke to someone in the Niles store earlier this week it sounded like they were expecting some shipments this upcoming week (specifically Baby's Dream, possibly others)... I will write in an update if I get any news.

I doubt this helps much, but...

Tamar
    (due in Sept)

Well, here's an update: so much for 8 to 10 wks +up to 2 more for delivery - that would have meant order completion by end of August. Now they're saying early Sept.

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if it's worth taking steps to cancel the whole thing and start over somewhere else. :(

Many thanks to the person who started this thread - it would not have occurred to me to start calling the store earlier rather than later for updates had I not known there were issues getting what was ordered.

jlk Guest

I'm so glad I found this thread -- I have been calling My Child's Room for the past three weeks to check on the status of some furniture I ordered the first week of May (AP Industries). My order should have been delivered in early August. The store has been blaming the manufacturer and keeps saying that they expect a shipment "soon" but have no way of knowing whether my piece will be included in it.

At one point the store suggested that I call the corporate office's customer service department, but after leaving 3 messages that weren't returned, I gave up.

I've been reluctant to cancel the order (if they would even allow me to), since it would take another several months to order from another store. But having read these posts I am considering it. In my last conversation with a store employee, I was told that some customers who had ordered furniture in February and March had still not received their orders -- scary.

If anyone has recently canceled their order because of non-delivery, I'd be interested to know how difficult the store was about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast