Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NewChicagoMom7 Guest

Default RE: I ordered furniture...and the store still hasn't delivered it - what are my options?

Hey All -

So I'm the "lucky" mom who started this thread - and here is an update. First - I ordered furniture from 3 companies - Rumbletuff (for the dressers), Pali (crib/changing table), and Best Chairs (rocking chair/ottoman) IN FEBRUARY!

I got my changing table (and its beautiful), and my dressers - I would HIGHLY recommend rumbletuff, and Lil Deb n Heir in Naperville also carries them (I will order more Rumbletuff whenever we get ready for #2).

I never got my crib or rocking chair, both of which were due to be delivered mid june (I was due july 2). They have been telling me weekly, since JUNE that my furniture was going to be delivered within 1-2 weeks, which obviously never happened. This past week, I cancelled my order for the above items after "Nico", a sales rep at the main corporate office, laughed at me, called my a "nagging shrew" and asked me to "stop harrassing him." Never mind hte 6 week old baby I have at home without a rocking chair or crib that I ordered over 6 months ago!!! They did promise a full refund - I will repost whenever I did get it.

I did contact the better business bureau - who has contacted them twice without any effect; hopefully they will publish my difficulties - please contact BBB yourself if MCR (my childs room) has similarly mistreated you - there is power in numbers!!! I also contacted the president of the company 5 times - but he never called me back (shocker) - but here is his contact info-

Bob Geisheker
    630-834-2866 ext 228

Nico - the very unhelpful service rep is at the same number, ext 239 - if anyone wants a name to contact at least!

I did call Best chairs and pali - both companies did not return my phone call. The service in this industry is...lacking.

Lastly - I called Lazar's - and they were fantastically nice, but we ended up just ordering a crib from target - they could get somethign here fastest as my maternity leave is nearly over, and I am *hoping* to get the nursery finished!

Lastly - PLEASE TELL EVERYONE YOU CAN about this - if people know just how HORRIBLE this store is before they buy stuff - maybe they can avoid my misery!!!

Good Luck

Karen, mom of 6 week old Katie

Default RE: I ordered furniture...and the store still hasn't delivered it - what are my options?

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I went through something similar. I ordered my furniture in December 2004 from Cella for Baby. I was told 12 weeks for delivery. I was due in May, so this should have been PLENTY of time to get my furniture! Well 12 weeks later, I called for an update and was told it should be here any day. I then proceeded to call and email for about 3 weeks with no return messages from Cella. Long story short it was now May and I still didn't have my furniture that I ordered in December. I ended up calling the furiture company directly who were extremely helpful and found out that my order had NEVER BEEN PLACED!!!! This after I paid in full for it! After many, many nasty messages, a claim to my CC company, and the BBB, I ended up getting my money refunded.

I then called Lazars who were beyond fabulous. Got me the same exact furniture delivered to my house in 4 weeks and for less then I originally paid. I think Cella has now gone under, but if they have not - NEVER order from them.

jlk Guest

Karen,

Have you received your refund yet? I am still waiting on furniture and am going to decide this week whether to cancel my order. On a positive note, I was able to get through to the manufacturer of the dresser I ordered and was told that it was shipped to MCR last week. Unfortunately, however, MCR has been unable to verify that they received the shipment or that my piece would be delivered to me anytime soon. Every time I call I am told that the store is waiting to hear back from the corporate office. I was told last week that "Nico" was going to look into this further -- which didn't give me a lot of confidence given your post about him.

In the meantime, I have told everyone I know to stay away from this store and shop at Lazar's instead.

Good luck.

Jennifer

NewChicagoMom7 Guest

Jennifer -

Finally - we got the refund check (took about 10 days), and have finished dealing with that miserable company for good. We ordered a childcraft crib from target...which arrived in 3 days - and is pretty nice...

Good luck - and I hope your "MCR Misadventure" ends soon!

Karen

tamar948 Guest

Jennifer,
    Please post if you do wind up cancelling... I am still waiting on furniture from MCR as well and I am considering cancellation if the order cannot be fulfilled by the end of next week.

I have not been dealing with the corp headquarters - so far the people I have talked to at the Niles store have returned calls and followed up, but the order hasn't arrived. Every week they tell me corp says there's a truck with a shipment due the following week that they think might have my order on it.

*sigh* I really want to get this over with ASAP if I have to start over somewhere else.

Good luck to anyone else dealing with this store (I'm wondering if if they know about the press they've been getting).

Thanks,
    Tamar

kusiakje Guest

Not to cause a widespread panic to any mothers-to-be that may have ordered from MCR, but we're having problems getting our furniture too. So to warn others who may be considering ordering their furniture from MCR, I thought I'd throw out our experience as well.

At the end of April, we ordered the Pali Julianna crib as well as a matching combo dresser/changer and hutch. We were told that delivery would take 12 to 16 weeks and that the latest our furniture would be available would be 8/24/05. Since I wasn't due until 9/17, we thought that would be just about perfect. It would give us enough time to clean out our junk room, which was to become the baby's room, and still have a few weeks before the due date.

After reading all the problems others have had with MCR, DH decided to start calling and checking on our order on 8/20. (He loves waging war against businesses...if it's justified.) At that time, we were told it was the weekend and no information was available. So, DH called again on Monday the 22nd. He got someone who started hunting down the information. Finally, he was told that they were expecting a shipment from Pali within the next week and that it should fulfill all April orders. They said that the shipment was currently in customs in Canada, and that it would arrive no later than the following Monday. Figuring that was less than a week overdue, we waited patiently.

The following Tuesday (the 30th), we hadn't heard anything from the store, so DH called again to check on the order. At that time, he was informed that the combo and hutch had arrived, but that the crib was not included with the shipment. DH asked when we could expect the crib to arrive. Of course, he was told that research would have to be done, and they'd call back. Eventually, DH got a call back and was informed that there was another Pali shipment expected today. DH asked for confirmation that our crib was actually with the shipment. Again, research needed to be done.

A little while later, someone called back and said they'd confirmed that the crib was with the shipment through an electronic packing order or something. DH again confirmed that the shipment would be here no later than today. He also noted that this would be a full 2 weeks beyond the date that we had been quoted and asked them to waive the delivery fee. They agreed to do that. So that's saving us $75...which is something.

So, today DH called to confirm that the shipment had arrived and that our crib was with it. Again, research...blah blah... When he finally got the call back (which was quite a few hours later...unlike previous calls that had been replied to within an hour), he was told that the shipment would not be arriving until Friday now. OK...so it's only another 2 day delay, but this also means that the earliest we'll be able to have the furniture delivered will be next week...because they don't seem to deliver over the weekend. So that's about 3 weeks beyond the outside date they gave us many moons ago. I'm not going to hold my breath that it'll even be here then though.

MCR does seem to want to work with us. DH has been satisfied with their responses for the most part. And, like I said above, they have been trying to keep us happy, by waiving the delivery fee and such, so it's not a totally awful situation at the moment. But it is frustrating.

A friend of mine suggested that it could be a hold up due to Homeland Security, customs, etc., which has been delaying lots of overseas shipments. Because other stores seem to be able to receive their Pali shipments just fine, I'm inclined to believe that this has more to do with MCR than governmental bureaucracy.

At least we don't desperately need the furniture or anything. There are other options out there. Nevertheless, DH has his game plan set if things start getting nasty. (BTW, in gathering his facts for a battle, one of the many things DH did was look up MCR's rating at the Better Business Bureau. For those who might be curious, it's not good. BBB rates them badly because they didn't respond to their inquiries regarding one of the 2 complaints they've received within the last 18 months. Both complaints received were regarding, surprise!, delivery, but one was actually resolved satisfactorily. The lack of response to the other complaint suggests that they don't care about their BBB rating though...which, I can't really blame them for. BBB doesn't really have any authority or anything...and not many people think to check BBB ratings before dealing with a store.)

Anyway, if and when we ever receive our furniture, I'll post again.

NewChicagoMom7 Guest

I am honestly surprised at how *relatively* nice they have been to you - MCR gave us the $75 delivery fee, and offered $150 off our total bill very quickly - but, we never got our crib and rocking chair/ottoman, despite being over two months late!

Shockingly - I got a call today (over 3 months after my furniture was due, and 1 month after I canceled my order AND got my refund check) - Half of my furniture was in, and would I like it delivered?

?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!

And they had the nerve to call me a "difficult and demanding" customer...

I did file with the BBB - and MCR basically blew off my complaint completely - so I am glad they have a bad rating - they have earned it!

AGAIN - tell everyone you know - AVOID THIS AWEFUL STORE - it just isn't worth the hassle - and trust me - once the baby arrives - you just have so many better ways to spend your time, money and energy!!!

Good luck -

>Not to cause a widespread panic to any mothers-to-be that may
    >have ordered from MCR, but we're having problems getting our
    >furniture too. So to warn others who may be considering
    >ordering their furniture from MCR, I thought I'd throw out our
    >experience as well.
    >
    >At the end of April, we ordered the Pali Julianna crib as well
    >as a matching combo dresser/changer and hutch. We were told
    >that delivery would take 12 to 16 weeks and that the latest
    >our furniture would be available would be 8/24/05. Since I
    >wasn't due until 9/17, we thought that would be just about
    >perfect. It would give us enough time to clean out our junk
    >room, which was to become the baby's room, and still have a
    >few weeks before the due date.
    >
    >After reading all the problems others have had with MCR, DH
    >decided to start calling and checking on our order on 8/20.
    >(He loves waging war against businesses...if it's justified.)
    >At that time, we were told it was the weekend and no
    >information was available. So, DH called again on Monday the
    >22nd. He got someone who started hunting down the
    >information. Finally, he was told that they were expecting a
    >shipment from Pali within the next week and that it should
    >fulfill all April orders. They said that the shipment was
    >currently in customs in Canada, and that it would arrive no
    >later than the following Monday. Figuring that was less than
    >a week overdue, we waited patiently.
    >
    >The following Tuesday (the 30th), we hadn't heard anything
    >from the store, so DH called again to check on the order. At
    >that time, he was informed that the combo and hutch had
    >arrived, but that the crib was not included with the shipment.
    > DH asked when we could expect the crib to arrive. Of course,
    >he was told that research would have to be done, and they'd
    >call back. Eventually, DH got a call back and was informed
    >that there was another Pali shipment expected today. DH asked
    >for confirmation that our crib was actually with the shipment.
    > Again, research needed to be done.
    >
    >A little while later, someone called back and said they'd
    >confirmed that the crib was with the shipment through an
    >electronic packing order or something. DH again confirmed
    >that the shipment would be here no later than today. He also
    >noted that this would be a full 2 weeks beyond the date that
    >we had been quoted and asked them to waive the delivery fee.
    >They agreed to do that. So that's saving us $75...which is
    >something.
    >
    >So, today DH called to confirm that the shipment had arrived
    >and that our crib was with it. Again, research...blah blah...
    > When he finally got the call back (which was quite a few
    >hours later...unlike previous calls that had been replied to
    >within an hour), he was told that the shipment would not be
    >arriving until Friday now. OK...so it's only another 2 day
    >delay, but this also means that the earliest we'll be able to
    >have the furniture delivered will be next week...because they
    >don't seem to deliver over the weekend. So that's about 3
    >weeks beyond the outside date they gave us many moons ago.
    >I'm not going to hold my breath that it'll even be here then
    >though.
    >
    >MCR does seem to want to work with us. DH has been satisfied
    >with their responses for the most part. And, like I said
    >above, they have been trying to keep us happy, by waiving the
    >delivery fee and such, so it's not a totally awful situation
    >at the moment. But it is frustrating.
    >
    >A friend of mine suggested that it could be a hold up due to
    >Homeland Security, customs, etc., which has been delaying lots
    >of overseas shipments. Because other stores seem to be able
    >to receive their Pali shipments just fine, I'm inclined to
    >believe that this has more to do with MCR than governmental
    >bureaucracy.
    >
    >At least we don't desperately need the furniture or anything.
    >There are other options out there. Nevertheless, DH has his
    >game plan set if things start getting nasty. (BTW, in
    >gathering his facts for a battle, one of the many things DH
    >did was look up MCR's rating at the Better Business Bureau.
    >For those who might be curious, it's not good. BBB rates them
    >badly because they didn't respond to their inquiries regarding
    >one of the 2 complaints they've received within the last 18
    >months. Both complaints received were regarding, surprise!,
    >delivery, but one was actually resolved satisfactorily. The
    >lack of response to the other complaint suggests that they
    >don't care about their BBB rating though...which, I can't
    >really blame them for. BBB doesn't really have any authority
    >or anything...and not many people think to check BBB ratings
    >before dealing with a store.)
    >
    >Anyway, if and when we ever receive our furniture, I'll post
    >again.

kusiakje Guest

To be honest, I'm really surprised at the pleasant responses as well after the horror stories I've heard. And considering DH has a way of maintaining a pleasant demeanor with customer services types, while totally pissing them off at the same time...I thought there would have been fireworks by now. I'm kind of wondering if they've been relatively cooperative because they've called DH at work...which is a law firm. Sometimes that makes people a wee bit nervous. :)

Jessica

kusiakje Guest

Just thought I'd update the situation a bit. DH called MCR again this afternoon to check on whether the crib had arrived or not. He was first told that corporate was doing inventory and was not answering their phones at all, so they wouldn't be able to confirm whether the shipment with our crib had arrived today or not. He politely expressed his irritation, as this was getting down the wire, and was given the name of someone at corporate to contact.

DH then called the corporate office with little hope of getting anyone because of the alleged inventory, but, surprisingly, he managed to speak with someone. He was then told that the shipment didn't arrive today as expected. What a shocker... They're continuing to claim that there is a truck out there somewhere with our crib...and they'll be able to tell us more about its location Monday. My spidey sense is tingling...something still isn't right here...

Anyway, DH didn't just let it go and say he'd call back to check Monday. Instead, he noted that we've been extremely patient, but that we're rapidly approaching our deadline, and that this delay is unacceptable. The person at corporate replied that if the crib did not arrive Monday, they would set up a time to deliver our combo and hutch as well as a loaner crib until ours arrives. DH thinks this is a reasonable solution...as long as they give us a crib of the same quality...and not some old rickety thing.

Anyone else get this offer? Anyone see any problems with it? I mean, it's going to be annoying to have to set up everything in one crib and then later have it yanked out to set up another one. But beyond that, is there a potential problem that I'm overlooking? Thoughts, comments would be appreciated...

Jessica

tamar948 Guest

Wow. MCR did not make us an offer like that ;)

The only potential catch I see is if the crib doesn't show (and deciding how much longer a wait for your real crib is acceptable): cancelling the order and getting them to refund might be tricky. On the flipside, your DH being in a law firm can't hurt.

Here's our latest: As of this afternoon, we are scheduled to have crib and dresser delivered and set up on Monday. MCR agreed to remove the delivery and set up fee given the lateness of the order; however, the person who confirmed the delivery quoted the old balance rather than the new balance. When I asked about this, I was told I would have to call the store and get it sorted out during delivery/ set up. *sigh*

I will provide an update after Monday's events.

Tamar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast