karolyp is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Do you think babies hate their crib mattress BC they're too hard?

I know that crib mattresses have to be firm, but my DD is almost 6 months old and I honestly think that she hates her crib because the mattress is to hard. I have the Sealy spring mattress that was recommended in the BB book. I also have the inclined to sleep positioner and she seems to sleep so much better on that because it cradles her body. But I know that you're supposed to discontinue use if your baby can roll over which she can do. So my question is...is there anything you can do to (safely) make the crib more comfortable? Also does anyone use their positioner past the roll over mark?

Thanks
    Karoly

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Do you think babies hate their crib mattress BC they're too hard?

I think our son did. It's funny, I was just saying to Dh (after posting my thread above) that I was probably the only mother wanting a soft mattress for her baby.

Anyway, our son slept better in an infant seat or swing seat, I think he liked the 'cradled' feeling better than the wide-open feeling of a crib or cradle. I actually bought 2 sleep positioners and would even preheat his cradle with a heating pad (then remove it before he went down), nope. nothing worked.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

diggydo Guest

Karoly, I truly believe that crib mattresses are too hard these days. We as adults don't sleep on super hard mattresses, because they wouldn't be comfortable. Why should our children?

I just don't get it.......

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think DS hates his crib due to feel of the mattress. The crib mattress has more give than our mattress. We co-slept initially and have had a hard time getting him into his crib. He'll sleep fine on our bed, whether or not someone is with him, but he won't sleep for long (or even at all) in his crib, and he is 14 mo now. The crib mattress I have is a Sears spring mattress, top of the line at my local Sears. he also can sleep well in the swing, or car seat or stroller.

Nupe

IrishGem Guest

1. A firm mattress is recommended for baby's neck and spine development: the soft tissue of baby's developing body has a better chance of developing straight: what we want for our spines: when supported firmly by a firm mattress.
    2. As baby starts to roll over, a firm mattress holds it's shape even when they are nose to the mattress, and a softer mattress will close around baby's face making breathing more difficult.
    3. A firm mattress will also hold it's shape in the corners of the crib when baby lies there, rather than a soft mattress collapsing in the corners allowing baby to get stuck between the mattress and the crib slats.

THE FIRMER THE BETTER! Also refer to www.colgate.com

dknees Guest

funny, I just posted about this on the colgate foam mattress thread.

DS HATED THE FOAM MATTRESS. He would sleep ANYWHERE but in his crib. Even the floor, which had nice soft carpet. When we put him in his crib, he'd flail and wake himself. He never slept in it more than one hour at a time. He did not flail in the P&P or on the floor, and could sleep 3-4 hours there. At 6 weeks, we finally figured out the mattress was too hard, bought a softer "toddler" mattress at BRU, and ds has slept wonderfully since!!!!!!! :)

wagner36 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you tried a fleece sheet? We thought it was the crib mattress too, but the fleecebaby.com sheets worked wonders for us....

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a foam mattress and a Fleece Baby sheet. DS hasn't been in his crib in months. We've given up in the interest of sleep. He is happily co-sleeping and we are getting a twin matress for him soon.

My DH came up with the hard mattress theory months and months ago--I guess he was right!! (shh, don't tell him!) ;)

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

ppmsm1 Guest

The website for Colgate company that makes kid mattresses is www.colgatekids.com
    Their page for innerspring mattresses : http://www.colgatekids.com/products/...ng_mattresses/

By the way, does anybody have opinion on Pali (made by Jupiter Industries) Medi-Pedic 2-in-1 innerspring mattress (model 8952) ? One side of it is extra firm for infants and the other side is for toddlers.
    Based on the description, it seems better than Colgate coil mattresses. Does anyone have a different view ?
    It's available for $125 at http://www.showeryourbaby.com/pame2crma1.html

Also, somebody mentioned Rubber mattress made by Natura World ( www.naturaworld.com ). What do you think of rubber mattress vs. innersping coil mattress ? Thanks.

dknees Guest

we use a fleece baby sheet too, but he still hated the foam mattress....