Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Is the Miracle Blanket worth the $$$ ?

Miracle blanket = happiness and wonderful sleep. My DD loves to be swaddled and I LOVE my miracle blanket. Well worth the money!!!

Melissa

Mom to Emma (4/03), Kate (7/05), Sam and Claire (6/09)

It's absolutely worth the money. It does what it says it will do, and it's beautifully made. I sew, so I will always try to figure out if I could make something rather than buy it. Given the quality of the fabric, the amount of fabric, and the way it is sewn, I think $30 is actually a reasonable price for the blanket. Plus, they'll give you your money back if it doesn't work for you.

Definitely worth it!

Until last night I would have said no. My 3 1/2 wk DS can get his feet out and it didn't seem to help any. I have been trying to get him to sleep in his cradle with it and he will cry like crazy. But last night in bed beside me he slept for 3 1/2 hours. His longest stretch ever. I actually woke up before him because I'm nursing and was uncomfortable. I kept him in it and he slept for another 2 hours after nursing. Worth it? If this keeps up, yes.
    Shannon

We had the microfleece SwaddleMe and it worked just great for us. I know some people had problems with the cotton knit ones not holding up, but we used the fleece one for about 5 months, until DS started roling over, and never had a problem. The velcro was never loud enough to wake him and it was nice to be able to just open the bottom half for diaper changes, if necessary. It was about $12 at BRU.

I would second the PP suggestion about a large cut of microfleece. With a 40% off coupon at JoAnns, it is a great way to have an economical swaddling blanket. The thing that makes most receiving blankets useful for swaddling after the first few weeks is their small size.

I've never used the Miracle Blanket, so I don't know if DS would have slept better with it or not, but he only woke once a night to eat (and was a preemie so this was necessary for weight gain) until 6 months and then slept through from then on.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

kind of a related question but when does everyone start to use the miracle blanket? we have two of them and we tried it for the first time last night on our 10 day old who needs to wake up every 3 hours for feeding at night. we set our alarm to wake up every 3 hours but the mb doesn't really seem to keep him sleeping for the 3 hours and it's difficult to get him to calm down even when we're using the mb. is he too young for it still? we're just trying to decide if we keep the other one (still in its packaging) or return it. maybe our ds is one of the few who don't like the mb? or maybe we're not using it right? does anyone find it difficult to tuck the flaps under the arms and wrap the long end around the baby so many times? any tips in using this so that it works for us would be great. thanks in advance.

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been watching this thread because I've never used the MB and I was curious. But I do know that the idea behind swaddling is to mimic the nice snug environment the baby had in utero, so however you do, you can start immediately. In the hospital, the nurses always swaddle the newborns tightly.

Everyone had their favorite resources, but I think that "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp, is downright miraculous. You might check it out for some super baby-soothing tricks! He has a list of "The S's" that start with swaddling. The idea is to help the baby start up his/her own natural self-calming reflexes, and a lot of it relies on recreated certain aspects of the pre-birth environment, hence a nice snug swaddle.

vicster - I think that at 10 days old it is perfectly normal for your baby to sleep less than 3 hours at a stretch. A small baby will wake every 1 1/2 to 3 hours to eat. If you DC is waking sooner than 3 hours, then h/she is probably just hungry. I don't think you are doing anything wrong with your Miracle Blanket at all!
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I did buy the MB after all. I asked at our first ped visit when I could use it, and the ped said since she had gained her birth weight back and was obviously doing well with the nursing that I could swaddle her and feed her when she wanted, vs waking her up - which I had been doing her first week. The ped said the worry is establishing a good feeding regiment in the first week and a half AND that the baby is gaining weight. After that he said nursing by demand was fine and the 3 hour rule no longer applied. Maybe you could bring this up with your ped. I hope that is helpful. Oh, and when she isn't gassy DD sleeps like 4 hours in this blanket!

ivfbaby_july2005 Guest

Julie, I can also say it was worth the money. I like you bought mine on line..through amazon. Of course I just now found out that Buy Buy Baby is carrying them in their store. So if you have one near you then it should save you some money on shipping. I have 4 of them. I was going to give 2 to friends but kept them instead. We tried everything to keep her in a swaddle, even using a diaper pin. I bought so many different fabics of swaddles and the velcro kind, etc! What a wasted of money. I ended up giving them all to hurrican katrina families in our area. My girl hated to be swaddled too. But for some reason in the miracle blanket she seems much happier and knows that it is time to take a nap or go to sleep when i put her in them. She will be 4 months old on the 14th of November. Hard to believe but I may keep her in these for a lot longer than I thought I could!
    Good luck!
    Deb
    Brooklyn's mom 7-14-05

I guess I'm the exception: we never used ours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast