Default Overseas Military Family: Retailers that ship to APO addresses?

Does anyone know of retailers that will ship bulky items (cribs, case goods etc) to APO addresses? My DH is in the military, we live overseas and have an APO address. I could order a crib and furniture from the AAFES exchange catalog or online, but either the brands they carry received TERRIBLE reviews in the Baby Bargains book (eg. Million Dollar Baby), or the decent brand items (eg. Storkcraft) had features I don't like (stationary sides or sleigh cribs without slats on either end). I'm not interested in second-hand cribs, so I won't go there. I don't want to waste my money on junk, but it seems no online retailer will ship to an APO address, even when it comes to things like car seats! Anyone have advice for overseas military folks with APO addresses? Your 2 cents would be much appreciated!

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Overseas Military Family: Retailers that ship to APO addresses?

My mom uses an APO address, and any time she finds an online merchant that doesn't ship to APO boxes, she fires off a letter to their customer service department demanding to know why they are discriminating against our military members. Works pretty well.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

I too am APO. It is very difficult to have large items sent here and it isn't always the retailer's fault. The USPS has weight and size limits that restrict many of these things from being shipped.
    Therefor anything of good quality (i.e. heavy) will probably not be shipped.

That said you might want to check JcPenney.com and WalMart.com as they ocassionaly have cribs and case goods that come under the weight limits.

If you find something that you absolutely love on any site, try contacting the vendor, they may be able to split the shipment so that it comes under the limits. I've also had things sent to my mother in the US and then had her split the items (usually only when I can get free shipping in the first place to make up for the added cost of shipping twice).

Our PX is carrying a simple Jenny Lind style crib at this time for $99 so that is probably what I will end up buying. Their case goods are crap though IMO. Remember if you have to order through the catalog that it can take some time to arrive and aafes.com doesn't ship large items oconus either.

ETA: have you tried looking on the economy? I don't know where you are located but you might want to try Ikea as they have some lovely sets. Also large department stores carry a good selection of well made baby furniture.

jmrb Guest

I am FPO and never found anywhere that would ship a crib to me. However, I did get car seats (infant and convertible) shipped from Amazon.com. The other option is to get someone from the states to take initial delivery and then ship to you (I had to do this with my stroller). You can always check out the web site http://www.oconus.com/ to see a list of businesses that will ship APO/FPO.

Thanks for the input. I have had no problems with retailers shipping small items (clothes, books etc), even if I had to contact their customer service department about shipping to my APO address. I am only having difficulty with bulky items (furniture, car seats, strollers etc). I plan to go through AAFES when ordering a glide rocker and footstool (the local AAFES furniture store says I can ask for delivery to them and then pick up from them), but it pains me to buy what I know will be a lousy crib.

I will look into J.C. Penney and Walmart for lower weight shipments, and I will also investigate split shipments. My mom might be able to take delivery of items for me and pass them on, if the USPS will deliver! I know USPS regulations say that the length and girth of a package cannot exceed 70 inches total, or you can't mail it.

Unfortunately, there is no Ikea here! If I were in Europe instead of Okinawa, I would shop locally, but the Japanese baby items I've seen seem more designed for cuteness than for safety or practicality. Heck, most people here don't use their own seatbelts; they certainly don't buckle their kids into car seats (scary, but true)! The few Japanese cribs I've seen are very small and rather low to the ground (like all the rest of the furniture). DH and I are both 6-footers, so if we can't find a better alternative, we'll go with AAFES junk just to save our backs.

I'll keep looking for a while, as I'm not due until March. I can't wait too long though, esp. if I am waiting on delivery from AAFES! I wish I had bought this stuff before PCSing and brought it with our household goods! Live & learn...

What about ToysRUs in Japan? I have heard that they carry some European/American type items. Just an idea. Sorry you are having such trouble, I know it is a pain in the butt. We were hoping to PCS before baby arrived, but DH's school keeps getting put off.

Good luck!

If you log onto aafes.com, you can order from babyuniverse.com through aafes. I think you get a discount too. (?) I haven't tried it yet as I haven't found anything to buy on babyuniverse.com. Hope this will help you as I think there might be a little more options for you.

Unfortunately they do not ship large items to OCONUS, including strollers, cribs, case goods.