Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Baby Detergent - What To Use?

We use Purex Baby...inexpensive and smells nice. We also use Baby Oxiclean for tough stains and Totally Toddler for treating stains right when they happen.

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used All Free and Clear from the very beginning with DD. I recently switched to Costco (Kirkland's) Free and Clear detergent. I also wash all our laundry in it. Great bargain and it does a great job cleaning too. HTH!

dknees Guest

I use Purex here.

I started by using Baby All and Downy baby fabric softener, but still washed our clothes in Purex with Bounce dryer sheets. My ped pointed out that if my ds were truly allergic to Purex/Bounce, he'd have a reaction because of all his contact with us, resting his head on me, etc. So, I switched to our "regular" detergent with absolutely no problems :)

I personally think the baby dets are a racket as well, UNLESS your dc has allergies.

I use fragrance free all on my 3 wk old's clothes with no problem.
    Shannon

kriswrite Guest

Adding my two cents: I just posted something similar on the Baby 411 board.

I have an extreme preemie in the NICU, and I asked her nurses about whether or not I should be using special detergent on her clothes. The nurses all agreed that "baby detergent" is mostly hype. All the baby bedding and hosptial baby clothes in the NICU are washed with everything else at the hospital...in very harsh detergent and bleach. And yet they've never had a baby develop skin problems from the detergent.

I wash my baby's clothes in our ordinary, el cheapo Sun detergent, and she's never had a problem with it.

Kristina
    www.kristinaseleshanko.com/baby.htm

Kristina, I just wanted to say that I looked at your website and wanted to send along my best wishes for Anastasia (beautiful name!) and your family. I hope you get over your cold soon and are able to hold your little girl!

Kristina - I too went to your website and your story, and Anastasia's is inspiring! She is a beautiful little girl and I pray that you will be able to take her home soon!

We were also told the same thing by the NICU - they wash all of the NICU laundry in harsh detergent and very few of the babies have problems with it. We had a bottle of All Baby from my shower that we used first and then we've used Kirkland regular detergent since then. They've just started carrying the Free and Clear version and our Costco so I might try that next.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

karolyp is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just checked out your website too. What a beautiful site you have and such a precious little girl. It brought tears to my eyes. I hope you get to hold her again soon.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Another vote for using the same thing for the whole family. I used dreft with my first son but with DS2 we just wash everything together. I do usually use Tide Free and Unscented Bounce but that is only because I don't like scented stuff. We have not had any problems with any detergent.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Just wanted to send hugs and kisses to you and your sweet little family! :) I have never been through exactly what you have but I can definitely relate to your situation....

I have a best friend that gave birth to her preemie on August 7th. I believe his gestational age was 27 weeks. And because she was my best friend I really felt like I was going through it with her as well! Hearing all of little Caleb's ups and downs…. Later, I was able to visit him in the NICU, and I learned a great deal about what you parents have to go through with a preemie. There was an incident during one of his feedings where he forgot to breathe and the nurses were quick to respond. It was scary but the nurses were calm and reassuring. They taught us many things about how to care for Caleb and his specific needs. My friend April said that she felt like a millionaire because of all the professional help Caleb had received. She now calls him “The Million Dollar Baby� and she says that because it is probably true! Both of them struggled with breastfeeding in the beginning for a while too and had to use a breast shield to get him off the bottle (she'd have to have it already filled with some milk to make it less frustrating for Caleb) but was able to successfully wean him of that and now is quite the chopper!

Today, he is doing very well and filling up his car seat quite nicely now….something that April says is so wonderful to see! Oh, and she loves it when he outgrows his outfits. Most Moms hate to put that cute little first outfit away but she was singing songs of praise-Halleluiah! Halleluiah! :)

Wishing you the best this Christmas season!
    -Rebekah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast