Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Do I really NEED a rocker-glider?

We are cheap, too, but justified it by getting a "non-baby" style rocker-recliner from Lazy Boy (and it's leather so it will eventually look nice in our living room, DH can hardly wait!) They also had nice looking gliders. The chair really was useful for me the first couple of months while I was getting used to BF, but once I got the hang of it, the chair got much less use. We still use it now for reading books/snuggling before bedtime.

HTH!

Jen
    Mommy to Avery 8/23/04

Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yup, this is kinda what we did. We got a great rocker (I was a Best Chair, the name makes it really hard to Google!) and ottoman that wasn't just for the baby's room. We have it in her room and I rarely used it in the early days, but now that she's 7 months old I use it every night. We nurse and rock and then it's off to sleep in the crib. She loves it and it's super comfy. In a few years it can be moved to the living/family room if we want. I do wish I had gotten one that reclined, though...

jenn

docb Guest

My MIL got me a glider and I actually did not use it much while I was nursing- for me it was easier in bed and the baby was in a bassinet in our room initially while the glider was in his nursery. Now that he is in the nursery we like to hang out together and read and listen to music in the glider before going to sleep. I think we both find it relaxing.

One thing I will say is that I chose not to get a gliding otoman to match the chair- it seemed like alot of money to spend on an ottoman and I wasn't convinced I would want the ottoman to glide also. I did get the Medela nursing stool to rest my feet on and I LOVE it. It can tuck under the chair when not in use and it was only around $25.

Good luck!
    Kathy
    Mom to Mason 7/2/05

rrkalina Guest

We don't have a glider, and I can't say I miss it. We just use a regular rocking chair that we had. I put cushions on it and we have a little stool for my feet. It does slide back some, but I just pull it out from the wall before I sit down.

I used it for middle of the night nursings when DS was a newborn, and now that he's almost 10 months I use it for reading books and nursing before naptimes. It's worked for us!

I have used my friend's glider when I've needed to nurse over at her house, and I agree with a PP that the motion just seemed awkward. But then again, I'm used to a regular rocking chair, so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it!

I will say that I think you should have SOME sort of comfortable chair in your nursery, but it can be just a regular arm chair, rocker-glider, rocking chair, recliner, whatever you want!

~Kyle
    Gavin 5/26/05

Cynner Guest

I got a La-Z-Boy glider/recliner instead of the regular wood w/ cushion gliders I tended to see everywhere. I'd had lots of mom's warn me that they wear out quickly and you don't use them past the feeding stage. The fabric guard protection is warrented against human & animal urine, feces, baby spit up, vomit and the whole works too! So I figure the thing will last forever, and will remain useful well after the baby is done with BFing. Not to mention, the thing is more comfortable than my bed for naps at this point in time of my pregnancy (39 1/2 weeks!) So I figure I'll have no problems taking a nap while the baby BFs after he's born.

Do you need one? No. Is it a nice to have? Depends on the baby/child. We bought one when pregnant with our daughter, and while she liked it alright...it never really "took" with either of us. She was a kid that never seemed to sleep, colicy, and while it did help a little...nothing really stuck with her. To this day (she just turned 5), she never has stuck to any kind of schedule well despite our attempts. The only thing she really has been stuck on is "mommy hair", she likes to play with my hair (or stroke it on her face) as a security blanket kind of thing when she is tired or not feeling well. Weird, but it is "her" thing...though she taught it to our ds too (he does it too now, but not nearly as often).

Anyway, I kept the glider for my son born 28 months later and didn't expect to use it too much (occasional night feedings maybe when I didn't take him into bed with me). However, he loves it and we used it so much I bought another and upgraded from the glide/multiposition feature to a new one with the glide/multiposition lock & recline feature. Kept the older one in dd's room stationary so she can "read" in it. DS has been done bf over a year now (now 2 1/2), but he is really a kid who loves a routine. He loves to be rocked before naptime and bedtime. He can be carried into his room out cold, and will wake just enough to say "rock". I only have to do it for a minute or so those nights, but it helps him sleep well knowing his routine was fulfilled. (He's a pretty particular kid, likes to turn off lights, shut doors, very orderly...unlike my daughter or me, more like my husband). He loves to snuggle in the chair. I now really enjoy it too and can't imagine not having one in our next nursery, though I suspect he'll still want his in his room.

I'd say if you get one and can afford it, get the one with the glide & recline, I like it much better then the glide only or glide/mulitposition lock (dh uses the multiposition lock, I never do). I've tried some fabric ones in the stores (like Pottery Barn's) and while I like the look better, they aren't as comfortable imo. I think it is because I am now used to the recline feature and laying back and gliding....very relaxing.

You might see if there are any on ebay that are Dutailier. Both our's look brand new still and work great...I think it was money well spent over some of the cheaper models in that respect. However, we might sell our daughter's now since it is just being used as a stationary chair in the "lock" mode, and I know I won't get anywhere near what I paid for it. So, whomever does buy it will probably come out way ahead by getting it slightly used on ebay. Wish I had thought of that before buying them new.

After having more than one child I am realizing that some stuff that is "have to have" for one child, is not for another. DD loved the bouncy seat, didn't like the swing. DS loved the swing, could take or leave the bouncy seat. Keep in mind, from an early age they all have their likes/dislikes and what works for one kid, may not work for the next.

Good luck!
    Bridget
    Mom to
    DD 03/01
    DS 07/03
    DS 09/07
    DS 07/09

I had the same reaction to spending $500 + on a glider -- what do I need it for? But, all my friends said it was the best investment they ever made - except for one friend who said she just sat with baby in a comfortable chair. So, I hunted around on Craigslist and ebay, and bid $103 for a gently used one, with the ottoman! I was a little wary of buying upholstered furniture from a stranger, but I figured I could always get another set set of cushions or recover them, or even bring them to the drycleaner. When we picked up the glider, it looked almost new, so I used our carpet steamer to steam the cushions, and they look great. A lot of people don't need or want their gliders after they are done having children, and there are a lot for sale on Craigslist and ebay.

P.S. A tip - not everyone is a great speller -- that's how we lucked out with such a good deal on the glider. My husband used alternate misspellings in his searches and found that this seller did not have a lot of bids because she had misspelled Dutailier, so people were not finding the auction. There were very few bids on this piece, so we were able to get an inexpensive price.

jestagrl79 Guest

Need one? No. Just a little something different though. I went through 12 hours of back labor, and rocking was the only thing that made it bearable. Now my son loves to rock after nursing, and before going to bed at night. So for us, it was worth the money. Also, as a previous poster mentioned, we got a Best Chair. If you live in Iowa, I can tell you where to get a good deal on one!!

:-) Megs

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did a La Z Boy rocker for the living room instead of a glider b/c we figured it was more practical. I think it was absolutely the best desicion! I LOVE that sucker! It was so comfy for nursing, and we'll have it for years to come. Granted we paid more, but it was worth it.

Good luck!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Katigre Guest

You don't *need* one, but you will need somewhere comfortable to sit with the baby and if you don't have that in your house now you should probably consider one. But i wouldn't splurge on the ottoman--get a nursing stool instead ($25).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast