Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    vdrake71 Guest

Default RE: Do I really need a bassinet?

I have a regular version of the co-sleeper and love it. It was great for breast feedings and for someone who had to have a c-section. You don't need a bassinet, but if you could fit your crib in your room that would work out perfectly. I would also recommend looking for a used bassinet (friends or garage sales) or co-sleeper. I see so many bassinets at garage sales and they are very cheep and in excellent condition because they are used for limited time.

I have a mini Arms Reach Co-sleeper. I haven't used it yet (waiting on a baby!) but I am really excited about it. It seems like a great concept and I love how close the baby is yet not in our bed. I co-slept with my first son for two years and although it was great, I would prefer to have the baby in their own space from the beginning. W

ith my first son we used a Snuggle Nest. It was okay but really only works if you have a king sized bed. I never liked it because I thought the baby would roll into the sides. The new versions come with sleep positioners which is great. I wish they had that when I had mine. http://tinyurl.com/myhek
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

michken Guest

hi Angie,

oh wow, I just noticed that you're due in 5 days or so. Congrats!! :) keep us updated. thanks for sharing your experiences about co-sleeping. Please let us know how the mini arms reach co-sleeper works out for you. Best wishes on your labor & delivery. :)

first_baby_for_me Guest

I agree with the other posters - try to borrow if possible or buy a gently used one. Unlike other baby gear, they don't wear out!

I borrowed one and we only used it for two weeks. Our little one made lots of breathing noises while she slept that kept waking us up. (I understand noisy breathing is very common in the first few weeks as they are now breathing air filled with particles.)

We had to move her into her crib in the next room so we could at least get a few precious moments of sleep!

We also used a bassinet with both of our children. One feature of our bassinet that was exceptionally handy for us was that it had a good-sized mesh basket underneath- we kept all the diaper supplies, extra bassinet sheets and extra pajamas for those middle-of-the-night changes. It was so nice to have everything in one place! Our bassinet also had wheels and so I would move it around during the day. It's not as bluky as a PNP and I liked having the baby near me always while he was sleeping.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We used the crib right away (in our room - a bit of a squeeze, but it works!) for the same reason. Bassinets are pretty ugly, plus the short-term use didn't justify the expense. My back-up plan, if the baby hated the crib, was to get a co-sleeper. But she loves the crib so I'm glad I didn't bother with a bassinet! One thing is true: every baby is completely different, so I would suggest trying out what's easiest/most economical first, before shelling out the cash for new stuff. You can always run out to BRU or order online if you're stuck! HTH.

MNmomtobe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a bassinet by Simplicity that we will keep in our bedroom for nighttime use and a pack n play with bassinet feature that we will keep in our dining room for daytime napping.
    The Simplicity bassinet we have is height adjustable and can also be a co-sleeper or a changing table. I think the bassinet part can be removed from the stand to transport to other areas of the house; it does have wheels to transport also.
    We got ours at Babycenter.com for about $100- they were having a sale at the time but I think I've seen it at BabiesRUs and USA Baby in different prints.
    Here is a link to the one we have: http://www.livingincomfort.com/si4bawibesls.html

I too am pregnant with our first but my sister-in-law had a bassinet for her frist and was able to use it for all of 2 weeks - my niece was a large baby and with a 15 pound weight limit on the bassinet she had outgrown it in no time. My nephew also wasn't in it very long either (a month maybe). Just something to be aware of... the weight limit. Now I'm sure not everyone has 10-ish pound babies (my niece was 10lb 10oz, nephew was 9lb 3oz) but still something to consider.

Cynthia

bryana Guest

The travel lite seems like the best option for getting your money's worth...but can someone tell me what size pillow cases to order from Lands's End? I keep seeing posts where people say that the pillow cases work perfectly as sheets but they come in several different sizes...

I agree with the other moms here about the arm's reach co-sleeper. we had it attached to our bed for about 4 months. my 7 month old is still sleeping in it in our room (we're looking to move her as soon as it gets a little cooler here - next week probably). we've had her beside the bed but not attached for months. I love having her so close. We bought one on criag's list for half price. It doesn't take up much room at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2