jayshell Guest

Default Do all monitors do this? Which ones work the best?

We are going to buy a monitor this week and would like to know which monitors people like the best. Last week I was babysitting my nephew and heard a baby crying and some talking to this baby over the monitor . I automatically thought someone was in the house with us. Needless to say I ran upstairs to check on him and found no one there. His monitor was picking up the next door neighboors' monitor. Do all monitors do this? We live in a neighboorhood filled with babies and probably monitors also and would like to limit moments that scare me out of my pants.
    Thanks

Default RE: Do all monitors do this? Which ones work the best?

Get a monitor that allows you to change channels. We have the Sony BabyCall, and I love it. We also live in a neighborhood with lots of babies and monitors. I changed the channel off of the factory default the moment I got it out of the box, and I've never, ever had interference with it.

-Ry,
    mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
    and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
    http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img]

strikeeaglebaby Guest

A second vote for the Sony BabyCall! We are in the military and live in base housing, we have 19 toddlers on our circle of 16 townhouses and I have never heard anyone else on my monitor, despite the fact that one neighbor has the exact same one. Several of my neighbors have Graco or the Fisher-Price monitors and they are constantly hearing each other.

In addition, I love the voice-activated feature on the monitor, it eliminates hearing background noise all night!

-Amy

Maria K is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We got the Graco IMonitor that uses digital transmission... we've never had static, interference or ANY problems with it. Plus it has a huge range... I think 2000 feet.
    - Maria

We also just got the Graco iMonitor and so far it has worked really well. We had an older Fisher Price Sound and Lights before that was always staticky. We've only had it for a week, but so far I have been extremely pleased with it. We don't have a lot of babies in our neighborhood, but our old monitor picked up lots of cordless phone calls and this one does not.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

We live in a large apartment complex and I was very concerned about this. Mainly about people hearing us and knowing our comings and goings. We started out with the Fisher Price monitor and had NO problems. But, after a while, my DD got wise to what it meant when the door opened and we tried to peek in.

Then we upgraded to the MOBI wireless video monitor. We love it! I keep it on the night vision setting all the time and just watch her in black and white. (the color picture setting only works in the light) It allowed us to make sure she wasn't sleeping with her face in the bumper (before we got the breathable bumper) and gave us great peace of mind. I have also had the unique opportunity to see her play in her crib and talk to herself when she first wakes up.

I don't know if you're in the market for a video monitor but I highly recommend it! I have seen some complaints about interference with a wireless internet signal and this monitor. The only interference we have had is from our Vtech cordless phone. The screen goes a little fuzzy when I'm on the phone. Anyway, hope this helps!