babyz Guest

Default Seriously, why is picking out a crib so hard??? Help!

I have no idea what my problem is, but DH and I just can't decide on a crib!!! We have 4 styles in the running, but every one has a positive and a negative - and we just can't narrow it down! Maybe I can get some insight from those who've been there - we'd really like a dropside crib and a matching dresser, but are realizing we need to be flexible...

1) Baby's Dream Generation Next Dropside

- pretty sure we want a dropside, and this one impressed me the most of all I saw in the stores - very smooth and sturdy, and like the style
    - Baby's Dream seems to have a great reputation
    - it's a discontinued model, but I found one in another state that I could have shipped to me; however, shipping charges are obviously higher
    - the colour isn't exactly what we were hoping for (wanted more of a maple, not honey pine)

2) Baby's Dream Georgian Stationary

- there's a great deal at a local store, where we could get the crib, 4-drawer dresser, and the taller chest for $900
    - again, Baby's Dream is a good brand
    - not thrilled with the stationary crib, but not a huge deal
    - also don't love the style, but the price is so good...

3) Simmons Meridian Stationary

- nice look, and the colour is really what we were aiming for
    - Simmons has received decent reviews, but not sure now that they are part of Delta
    - still not thrilled with the stationary crib
    - more expensive than the other options

4) Child Craft Cascade

- best price, crib and changing table at Costco for $500
    - can't see it before ordering, as it's only available online - however, could easily return it to Costco if we don't like it
    - very simple, we were hoping for something a little more substantial
    - would still have to buy a dresser of some sort

I know they probably all would be fine, so I'm not sure what's keeping us from making a decision! Any suggestions/comments?

TIA :)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Seriously, why is picking out a crib so hard??? Help!

Relax! YOu have plenty of time! It will not be the worst thing in the world if the nursery isn't done before the baby is here. Baby may not even be sleeping in the crib for a while after birth if you have a Snuggle Nest, Arm's Reach or some bassinet.

Any safe crib that conforms to code (slat width...) will be fine. And the life of a crib is just about 2-3 years per child so it probably won't get that much wear and tear. Super durable and such is nice but probably not something to make or break a decision on.

And remember, it really is OK to mix and match things from other stores if you want to save money. Grab a dresser from IKEA for less that coordinates. Or splurge on a dresser that may be better quality than the things sold in baby stores (I swear that they make the sets look so cute and appealing that they trigger a buying reflex in parents to be!). You may find better deals and better quality in a non baby store and the items could work fine.

1. Being the practical gal I am I couldn't see paying a bunch of extra $ for shipping when it isn't exactly what you want. Is the drop extremely smooth? I stopped using my drop (not a Baby Dream brand) almost immediately b/c it jerked the crib just enough when you would latch the side back in place. I am not tall but I really didn't need a drop side and didn't miss it. (It is handy for changing the sheets but otherwise I could go either way on the whole side issue :)).

2. This would probably be the set I would pick. Again though, if you don't love it don't buy it. The taller dresser is extremely practical for later on. My ds is 4.5 and the smaller dresser we originally bught just doesn't hold all of his clothes anymore; it worked great when he was a baby. Be sure and anchor those dressers if you do get that set.

3. Not a fan of this one. Just my gut take on it though. I guess the tall dreser doesn't look that useful (and it looks a bit odd to have a piece that is so tall and skinny...but you could have the perfect space for it in your romm!). I am sure it would be fine though! :)

4. $500 for a crib and changing table seems too expensive to me. But, I am also far more in favor of skipping changing tables and just putting a changing pad on top of the dresser. Changing tables just don't have super long lives in terms of functionality after they are done being changing tables. I think I like the style of your #2 choice better too- with regards to color and design.

The colors all look really really close to me. If the nuances of color are really going to bug you then just keep looking. It's OK to have a baby gear thing that you get stuck on. Again, you still have time. :) The baby won't mind if you don't have a crib picked out before they are born. :)

Happy shopping!

Beth

gina is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My favorite of those is the first one. Reasons:
    -rollers on the feet. (my DD would hardly sleep in her crib and now she is cosleeping. I feel like if I could move her crib into our room where she could see us it would be easier to transition her into her room later. If she knows I am there when she is taking naps, she will go right back to sleep but with me in another room she wakes up. You just don't know what kind of personality your baby is going to have. Mine doesn't like being that far away. (and I am not willing to let her cry it out). Our crib is stationary and it is beautiful but not very practical.
    -drawer under the bed. Since we hardly use it now, a drawer would have been nice. At least we could use the bed for storage.

However I do like the tall hutch in the second option. I think it is something that could be used for a long time esp if you have limited storage.

I agree with PP that you do not need to be in a hurry. I recommend keeping the baby by your bed in a bassinet or cosleeper. We did not do this and it was a pain. I could not sleep because I was such a paranoid momma and having to keep getting up and going into the other room to check on her was tiring. If I could have just looked to see she was okay and go back to sleep I would have been more rested. Also every time I would go in her room I would end up waking her. So I highly recommend keeping her close, esp if you are planning on breastfeeding.

I also agree with PP that you don't necessarily need a changing table. I just put down a waterproof pad on top of her crib mattress when I wanted to change her. This has helped us out since her room is really small. And she doesn't hold still very well so I would be nervous changing her on a table now. So how long will you really use a changing table?? It is nice but if you are on a budget, skip it.

I also agree with PP that you don't have to buy a set of furniture. Our crib is an ivory color and we found a beautiful dresser and bookcase at target that looks like it came with the crib.

I would go with whatever you think is most practical but also looks nice. Skip the vision of the beautiful dreamy nursery with sleeping baby. Do whatever is going to work best for you.

Just speaking from my experience. We chose our crib mostly by looks and now we hardly use it. It is a delta and has held up well but of course we mostly use it as a changing table and playpen. My only problem with it is that you are supposed to be able to take the rail off and use it as a toddler bed, but the lowest setting is much higher than a normal toddler bed. I would be scared to let her sleep in it without the rail. But of course we have to get her sleeping there first.

To be honest, I have gotten more use out of my rocking chair than the crib. I would spend more money on that.

Gina E

DD 15 yr Jade
    DD 11 mo Olivia

babyz Guest

Thanks for the feedback - it was great to read some practical and impartial opinions!

We've decided to go with option 2, because it seems we'll get the most for our money, and like the brand and style. We do need to jump on it, because it's a limited stock item - but we're happy with the decision. It's not perfect (I agree that wheels and a drawer would be nice...), but it makes the most sense.

Thanks again for the comments - they helped bring me back to my more reasonable self ;)

I like the set you picked (I only looked at that one so I can't opine on the others). As for the under crib drawer, you have plenty of storage with two dressers and so I don't think you will miss it. We only have one 5-drawer dresser and a changing table and that gives us plenty of storage for two kids.

It is nice to be able to roll the crib, but it is not necessary (cribs aren't that heavy to move).

While I don't know about the quality of the furniture, I would say $900 for all three pieces is a good deal. As a practical matter, it just is not worth spending a fortune on nursery furniture, it just doesn't get used that long (unless you end up having a lot of children).

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Baby's Dream dropside (ours is the super dark cherry). honestly, it's a good crib, but I'm not *in love* with it. We had an issue a couple of months ago where it was making the LOUD screeching noise every time it went up or down - DH took hte whole thing back apart to see that one of the little wheels was of kilter - not something I would expect to happen in a good crib like that. It's fixed now, but it was super annoying.

Also, I hate the drawer. I didn't want a drawer, but I wanted that crib, and it came with the drawer. It's a huge PITA, and it drives me CRAZY. I know, I could just not put stuff in there, but I still like the look of my crib skirt better, and the skirt gets messed up all the time.

So, that's that. Don't discount the crib just based on me, but that's my experience.
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

chines Guest

has anyone tried the babys dream drop gate would it be hard to drop the top with baby in one arm since you need both hands?

Most likely if you have the baby out of the crib, you would probably have the drop gate already down from having taken the baby out of the crib. So I don't see where it would be a problem.