Default laundry detergent

not sure where to post this also posted in around the house, and reality layette.

just thought others may be interested in this info. I was on the tide website, trying to get coupons(didn't), btu found out that dreft is also made by them as well as ivory snow.

seems like people w/out babies always say "use dreft". have you smelled that stuff, very pungent floraly smell. does not smell very pure.

well according to tide here is what i found:

"All of our laundry products are formulated to fill different needs. By offering this wide variety of products, consumers will always have something to take care of any laundry situation that might come up.

--Tide is excellent for all around deep cleaning of clothing.
    --Ivory Snow gently cleans delicate items.
    --Dreft is specially formulated to clean tough baby and toddler stains."

i omitted a variety of other detergents that they mentioned b/c they were not in the baby running. seems like dreft is not made to be pure and delicate, but in fact to fight baby stains. I am planning on using tide free, and possibly oxiclean or borax(use for whites now) or clorox 2(use for colors now). any opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

my husband and I are both very fair-skinned irish folk, with many sensitive skin issues (acne, eczema, dry patches, etc) i am sure that DS will be plagued with these once he arrives.

thanks, n

tarabenet is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: laundry detergent

I use any brand of "pure and clean" detergent for baby stuff. Ever since I was a baby, Dreft has been guaranteed to cause me itchy breakouts. I hated when SIL insisted on using it for baby #1's things. Made being the nanny physically miserable. Glad she finally got past the marketing gimmicks!

1stbaby4us Guest

I plan on using a dye/fragrance free laundry detergent. My current one of choice is All, although I believe the major manufacturers (Tide, Cheer, etc.) all have similar versions.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have to admit, I loved the smell of Dreft. But DS#2 has a ton of allergies so I use "clean and pure" laundry detergents now, almost always made from plant-based surfactants and solvents- no petroleum solvents (I read an article from a British scientist a while back that the non-biodegradable solvents are a suspected cause for the increase in allergies). Anyway, it really seems to help DS#2's eczema.

For brighteners and odor reducers, I use Seventh Generation non-chlorine bleach and vinegar. So far, no complaints.

Lisa
    Mom to Gator July 2003
    And Cha-Cha July 2005
    and surprise! twins due 11/07!

We LOVE Charlie's Soap. It rinses completely out unlike Tide and many other detergents. Every once in a while I have to use some oxi-clean on my whites, but that is because Charlie's doesn't have any optical brighteners. I do add some Downy Free sometimes, too. But my clothes are truly clean with no fragrance with just the Charlie's.

http://www.charliesoap.com/

mgc Guest

I use free and clear for DH already. I found that Oxi-baby is also a free and clear, and gets stained diapers clean. They also just came out with an Oxi-baby stain spray.