kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Is there a Twin bed frame that you can just put a mattress on? (Not captain bed though)

We want to start transitioning DD (21 months) into a big bed. We don't want to buy a toddler bed because we have an entire twin bed that isn't being used. The mattress/box spring/frame set up seems way to high for her right now so here is my question ---

Is there a bed frame out there that I can buy that would support just a mattress w/o a box spring? (Like when the Sorelle cribs that had the wooden slats? Or one of those captain beds with the trundle/drawers underneath.) I think that a frame/mattress height would be more managable. (And I want a new frame anyway.)

Please help!

Kim

lilye13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Is there a Twin bed frame that you can just put a mattress on? (Not captain bed though)

We were in the same boat a ew months ago and we went with a a simple frame from Ikea to start and then when we picked out the 'real' bed for our DS's 'big boy room' it only took a mattress also- i can't remember the company that made the frame, cute red wood one, but we got it at a store called Breunners. ( it may only be in Arizona though:>
    HOH!
    mummy to
    DS 7/03
    DD 2/07
    DS 1/09

Default RE: Is there a Twin bed frame that you can just put a mattress on? (Not captain bed though)

Thanks! I am glad to hear that a frame that I want exists. Now I won't feel stupid calling around and asking! I may give the store you got your bed at a call and see if they can help!
    Kim

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes - most IKEA beds are designed this way. My DS has the ROBIN.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

What we did for Jack was to buy what is called a "bunky board" to go under the mattress. It's basically a cheap bunk bed support that can be set directly in a bed frame with a mattress on top. This suppports the mattress properly and allows it to be low to the ground. We still haven't gotten around to buying him a "real" bed. I'd love a really nice wood bed but I can't find one that I like. I'd still rather he not be super high off the ground. We've all gotten used to his bed being platform height.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Most children's furniture manufactuers produce beds that have 2 bed rail positions available. Just put the rails in the lower position and use a bunky board instead of a box spring. It should be fine!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

we have this twin bed from IKEA! It is actually quite nice and it is fairly low to the ground! I never bothered with bed rails and neither of my boys have fallen out of this bed! My little guy has been in this bed since he was 20 months!

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...mber=S39839333

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Default THANK YOU!!!

Thanks for all of your responses!! The "bunky board" sounds PERFECT! We are going to take a look at the Ikea beds too.

I really appreciate the advice! And I am happy that I can put that twin bed to use!
    Kim