epurdom Guest

Default knee release on drop down cribs

Hi,
    In everything I read here about the knee-releases for drop down cribs, it's viewed as a desirable feature (as well as boosting their ratings in Baby Bargins). The main worry seems to be the noise. However, I'm far more concerned with their safety/stability and was disappointed that the book didn't address it (maybe because it passes Federal Guidelines so they assume its not a problem?). When I compare the ones I see at the store to what my sister had several years back (foot bar with metal hardware that released the side) they seem incredibly unstable. One of her sons use to dramatically shake the crib sides, and she felt the plastic rails would just break/crack. Also I have read reviews on Babies 'R Us (for particular models of course) with the problem that over time the side didn't stay up anymore or their toddlers where able to push/pull them down! It seems the only other choice now is the two-handed option, which at least seems safe (Baby Bargins says that in dry climate the plastic could crack, but why is this any different than the plastic hardware for the knee release?) None of this seems to be mentioned anywhere here, and I was wondering if this is actually a general problem with the knee-release concept and/or if some of the plastic hardware for certain brands is sturdier than others.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: knee release on drop down cribs

I can't make any grand, general claims about the knee release drop side cribs but I will say that ours' held up very well for the almost 3 years we used it. It was a $299 crib from BRU (it's been almost 5 years so I won't bother with the specs as everythng has changed since then :)).

I never had trouble with the side dropping on it's own or with pressure from ds. He would hold on to the sides and jump. He woulddo belly flops on his crib. As designed, it was made to handle normal baby/ toddler behavior/ actions.

They have been around and probably the most popular for almost a decade, I think. If they were really unstable and unsafe I would hope they would have redesigned.

Now, I will say that I do not think a drop side is necessary. I am short and thought I would need it. But, when they are new and you are getting them in and out all the time the mattress is up high (easy to reach baby). They get older and get up less. They also can sit and stand which makes it easier to reach them if they are down low. Only time I liked it was when changing the sheet.

It also shook the crib some when you would latch the side back in place (not all cribs are like that so check them out!). So, I didn't want to use it and risk waking up ds.

But, it would be totally doable to just buy a crib with stationary sides if the release concerns you.

Welcome to the boards, btw. :)

Beth

kusiakje Guest

We have a Pali Juliana crib with a knee-push drop side, and I could be wrong, but I think the hardware is all metal rather than plastic. It's hard for me to tell because it's hidden really well, but judging by the way DH was obsessed with the construction of the cribs we looked at, I doubt he would have gone with anything plastic. Plus, what little I can see is clearly metal.

FWIW, I recommend Pali. Our crib is rock solid on the 3 non-drop sides, and the drop side has only the tiniest bit of give because you have to have that space for the pegs to slide to get into the track to unlock it. I don't think there's anyway of getting around a little shake for that reason. Itjust needs to move.

DD has been pounding on that side for well over a year and we've never had a problem. Even before she could sit up and shake the side just for the fun of it, she would pound on the Fisher Price Aquarium that hangs there (because it was the only place it would fit). She abused the Aquarium and it made the side rattle a bit as a result. We've progressed from the secondary Aquarium assault on the side to all out warfare now as she now jumps in her crib and winds up bouncing off the sides of the crib. Not a single problem. The side still works exactly the same way as it did when it was new...which is to say that I can never get it to drop on the first try. :)

I agree with what the PP and what others at this board have posted about the drop side being used sparingly at times. You really won't use it much at first, so the noise/vibration isn't an issue. Newborns are so tiny and easy to lift/put down when the mattress is at its highest level, that there's no point in messing with the side. After you drop the mattress, they're still fairly light and sitting/standing up so it's still fairly easy to get them in and out of the crib without dropping the side.

Then we hit the toddler stage, and now we use the side regularly. DD's now almost half as tall as me and about 25 pounds, so being able to laterally remove her from the crib, rather than lifting her up and over the side is often a HUGE relief to my back. When putting DD down to sleep now, she's always awake and isn't the type to fall asleep when her head hits the pillow, so it's no big deal to her when the side makes the loud click into place. All in all, I'm really glad that we have the drop side now.

HTH,
    Jessica
    Mom to Katarina (DOB 9/16/05)

Nicer cribs have all metal hardware. There's no way that side is going to fall down unless every bolt in the crib is loose (and it's a good idea to periodically tighten the bolts on ANY crib).

I really like having the drop side, and a two-handed one would be a PITA.