Default IKEA cribs - what mattresses fit?

I am considering an IKEA crib but notice that the IKEA mattresses are only 3.5" thick (which seems thin to me).

1. What standard crib mattresses fit the IKEA cribs (27.5" x 52")?

2. If the IKEA mattresses aren't too thin (from your experience), do the IKEA mattresses fit standard crib sheets without the sheets being too loose?

Thanks!

denise_l_0523 Guest

Default RE: IKEA cribs - what mattresses fit?

I do not know about IKEA cribs specifically but we bought a regular adult bed and mattress set about 18 months ago from there and are not very happy with it. I would say guest room quality at best which is where it will be going.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have the IKEA crib and mattress and are very happy with it. It does not seem to thin at all. Of course, DD only weighs 13 pounds, but does not push into the mattress at all. We bought standard crib sheets and a mattress pad from Lands End and they fit just fine, not loose at all. The mattress is very firm, she sleeps well on it.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Thanks Tracey!

I've also done some more research on my own and it seems like there are several choices of standard mattresses that will fit - very snugly (less than 1/2" smaller than inside crib dimensions). My concern with that was that it would be hard to change the sheet since it seemed like the mattress would have to be lowered into the crib squarely - not one end then the other. But my husband suggested..."won't the mattress flex?" So I figured I give it a try - but with IKEA being an hour and a half away maybe I'll just go with the IKEA mattress.

I'm WAY overthinking this!!!!

I'll post my results for the anyone else who's curious!

I bought the DIKTAD crib for my son's nursery and I love it. I bought the mattress at IKEA too. They have 2 crib mattresses (although I only saw one in the catalog and on the website). One is very cheap - like $30 and IMO, was very flimsy. They have an upgraded one available for about $60 and it is very sturdy and firm. It's about the same thickness as a Colgate Classica 1 mattress. It's been great, I have no complaints. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the mattress but just ask someone for the $60 crib mattress. The only thing is, there isn't a waterproof plastic around the mattress. This is good in someways since there are no "outgassing" concerns. However, I purchased a mattress protecter that zips entirely around the mattress to keep it protected. I got it at Target and it is just vinyl. On top of that I use a regular quilted mattress pad. It works great and was a great price! Another point - I have read that standard crib mattresses will fit the IKEA cribs.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

>I do not know about IKEA cribs specifically but we bought a
    >regular adult bed and mattress set about 18 months ago from
    >there and are not very happy with it. I would say guest room
    >quality at best which is where it will be going.

I am surprised. We LOVE our IKEA HASSELBACK mattress, which will be 3-years-old in August. I have the SNIGLAR crib from IKEA and a regular Sealy crib mattress fit really well in it. I'm going to buy an IKEA crib mattress for the same crib next week. My son sleeps on an IKEA ROBIN bed and mattress and it's been pretty comfortable.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

We have the Diktad crib and foam ($30?) mattress from Ikea. The mattress has been good for our son for 2 years. We have a LE mattress pad and FleeceBaby fleece sheets for it and they fit well. It is super easy to pull the mattress out to replace the sheet, which I know can be a problem with thicker mattresses. I would prob. be uncomfortable sleeping on such a thin mattress, but a toddler is much lighter.
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

bryana Guest

You should look into "quick zip crib sheets" on cloudsandstars.com
    The top zips off and on so you don't have to lift the mattress and remove the bumpers every time you change the sheets. They were recommended in Baby Bargains, but I first heard of them from another mom who HIGHLY recommended them--she said they changed her life!