Thread: mattress pads

smcrey Guest

Default mattress pads

My daughter is on bed rest at 29 weeks with twins, and I'm trying to help set up the nursery. We feel lost about what to put on/in the be for safety reasons. Does she need mattress pads on top of the waterproof mattress. We had gotten a couple of used ones, but they don't seem to go under far enough--certainly not the 2 inches all around that sheets are supposed to. Also, she has an Ultimate Crib Sheet and it seems like a good idea, but it doesn't fit under at all and seems like a baby could maybe scrunch under the side. One more question--what about the rectangular or square waterproof pads that I used to routinely put under the baby? Thanks for your help. Seems like a lot has changed since I had babies--and we are bewildered as to the safest way to make the bed.

SuEarl

csam Guest

Default RE: mattress pads

We put a waterproof mattress cover on our mattress that actually covers the entire mattress then zips. Then I put another soft mattress pad over that (that covers the entire mattress), then the sheet. It may be overkill, but I think then you don't have to change everything in the middle of the night if they wet the bed or something. Also, as far as crib sheets, we bought the flannel ones from Lands End and they are great. They really fit the mattress well and I have no concerns.
    hope that helps!

suzska Guest

I use the waterproof pads that are almost as big as the mattress instead of the ones that fit around like something you might have on your own bed. The pads I have are flannel on one side and vinyl on the other--I put them vinyl side down. I have two so that one can go in the wash while the other is on the bed. I also have the flannel sheets from Lands' End (I also have two from Carter's that aren't too bad, but the Lands' End ones seem to get used more often). I know some people put mattress pad/sheet/mattress pad/sheet so that you can remove the top set if it gets wet in the middle of the night and not have to struggle putting stuff back on, but we don't do that--just the one set. We have a foam mattress so it's not too hard to just lift it out and put the clean sheets on. For the first few months I also used the NoJo sheet savers (small pads that tie to the rails, and are placed on top of the sheets). My son had really bad reflux for the first 6 months or so, so using the Sheet Savers meant I only had to change that (if we were lucky enough for him to hit it when he spit up) and not all the bedding. I have four of those. I stopped using them when he started rolling all over the bed.

Like most things dealing with babies, you will get a different answer from everyone use ask as to what they do.

--Sue B.
    SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

IansMom04 Guest

Hello and congrats on the impending arrival of twins. Best of luck to your daughter on her bed rest, no fun..there are lots of online resources for moms on bed rest should she have access to a computer

Now to your questions.
    We put a waterproof mattress pad on top of the waterproof mattress pad. Seems redundant doesn't it? I think so too, but then I figure it is easier to throw the mattress pad in the wash ( be sure not to dry it in the dryer on too high a setting!!) than it is to wash the mattress itself when an accident occurs.

The Consumer Reports to Baby Products book is a great resource for safe baby items. You can get one at a local book store or check on www.consumerreports.org they may have ordering info there. They did a section on crib sheets and which ones were safe. Consumer reports also recently reviewd crib sheets in their magazine. I can look it up if you like.

Here is a link to a recent Good Housekeeping article on crib sheets

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...290084,00.html

They sell this product that was developed by a mom whose child nearly strangled in crib sheets. It attaches to the sheet under the mattress and prevents it from riding up. I can't find the info on it right now, but I will keep looking. It sounds like a great idea, I was going to get one but never did. I just use regular crib sheets and make sure that they fit very snugly and are pulled down as far over the mattress as it can go. So far no problems.

Here is a site that has links on crib sheet safety
    http://www.babysheets.com/pages/safety_links.html

They sell square waterproof pads, they are called lap pads, at JC penny, are those what you are thinking of too?

Best of luck

Chantal

IansMom04 Guest

www.babysleepsafe.com

This is the place that sells the crib sheet anchor

Chantal