mama2be Guest

Default diaper pad cover white (to bleach) or color

Quick question...I am purchasing my diaper pad and almost bought the cover today that will match my room for the baby (royal blue/periwinkle). Is it more wise to purchase this in white (which will also match the room). I was thinking that the white can be bleached. Or is a color better.

I am making my baby sheets since I have a round crib...should I make the fitted sheet white so I can bleach or a colored one to hide the "stuff" till cleaned. I have noticed books say avoid white...but I would think because you could bleach them you should get white...

Any advice???
    Thanks in advance!!!

suzska Guest

Default RE: diaper pad cover white (to bleach) or color

Personally I'm sensitive to bleach, so I would never bleach anything that my son would be sleeping on. I never had any trouble with stains on sheets--after discovering that Totally Toddler's cleaning product has rubbing alcohol in it, I just started spraying alcohol on the formula spots before washing with liquid Tide.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am fond of white because you can bleach it. I do usually rinse an extra time to make sure all the bleach is out.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

ct Guest

I too dislike the smell of clothes that have been bleached. Also, in my experience (I have a mother who LOVED bleaching everything!) bleaching tends to make fabrics get worn out faster. I have had no problems with stains. I use regular old Shout on all stains the night before I launder. On any stains that persist you can try Oxiclean or similar - it works without the smell. Also, I would think that white would look dirtier faster. I used a cover for my diaper changing pad (colored ones) but also put a waterproof pad on top. That way if there are any 'accidents' you don't have to wash the changing cover each time, just replace the waterproof pad. This was especially necessary when DD was newborn - the fresh air always made her pee during diaper changes :)! Even better, the waterproof pads hold more liquid than the terry covers do. Best of luck to you.

ct

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just to clarify, bleach is my last resort. I use Shout, Zout, Biz, Oxiclean, etc. as first lines of defense. :) But there are some stains that ONLY bleach will get out. Also, I use it really diluted. Just a little bit of bleach will sometimes do the trick.

I have even done this sometimes with colored items as a last resort (garment would have been ruined if the bleach hadn't done the trick) with great success. I had a beautiful, soft pink cotton knit dress for Sarah from Lord&Taylor that I adored. I washed it once with an item that bled onto it. NOTHING would get the dye out and I was distraught. In desperation, I bleached the dress. And the stain came out. (The dress is a slightly more pale pink than it started out as, but only you and I know... :) )

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

laura_winckler Guest

We have a white changing pad cover. No problems so far. With the newborn, we keep a waterproof pad on top of it so that we don't have to change the cover quite so often. Oxyclean has been able to get out anything that has gotten on it in the two years that we've been using it.

HTH,

mama2be Guest

Thanks ladies for the advice...I was hoping that the color one would work just becasue it would match the room and sounds like it will...

May I add...I love Oxyclean...I put that stuff everywhere :)
    Thanks again!!!

cara1 Guest

Skip the changing pad cover. I stopped using mine after I got sick of washing pee and poop every day, when it was simple to just wipe off the vinyl!

luvbeinmama Guest

I, also, would skip the changing pad cover. I did, however, put a diaper (cloth, birdseye weave), or a receiving blanket underneath for quick clean up of "accidents" and to keep baby from sticking to the vinyl. I kept a stack of the diapers on a shelf nearby so changing it out was VERY simple, and I just tossed the soiled one in the laundry (after rinsing out any poop). I figured, why buy a pad cover you have to protect so you don't have to wash it every day? That just seemed silly to me, but then I'm not much concerned with how my changing pad looks either.

suzska Guest

I just bought two pad covers so that I wouldn't have to wash one everyday. Yeah, sometimes we ended up with both in the wash and nothing on the changing pad, but that wasn't that often. We use the cloth diapers as the "pee shield" on-top of DS. ;-) And I usually just stick a tissue under his tushie during "messy" diaper changes and then toss that. Other than that, I never tried to "protect" it.