Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    aka_mama2be Guest

Default My seamstress surpassed expectations on my nursery

I felt like I had to share that the seamstress that I hired surpassed all of my expectations on the bedding that she did for me in the QUALITY of her work.

I am not exageratting when I say I gave her 30 yards of fabric (actually more than that when I consider a table cloth for a round table in the baby room, a cushion for a toy chest, and some organza and tulle for under the table and bed skirt)... We used it all but about 1 yard!!!!

She made me:
    a skirt for a round crib with like 2 or three layers of tulle under it to make it "poof" big time!!! Whcih meant that the amount of the fabric used was way in excess of "The norm"

the prettiest bumper pad (the material made it I think) with a gorgeous ruffle and ties on bottom and top.

huge panels for me to make a canopy that draped from the ceiling to the floor.

a round table skirt of shimmery organza with a gorgeous large square overlay over it.

a little cushion to go over the toy box to sit on

a simple drape to hang in an alcove behind the changing table (just on a tension rod) so I have alittle more color on the walls and to use up the fabric.

a small pillow for the changing table

She did all of this for alittle under $200...I supplied the supplies.

I really think she would be worth sending your fabric to her if you wanted something done. But only if you measure accuratly and tell her exactly what you want due to not being there in person.

I did have a tough time getting my stuff done "on time" (though baby not here I was anxious, and she seemed to procrastinate yet also does have a full time job) I did get frustrated over that, and she does have cats if someone is afraid of cat dander on their items (I was not-and my stuff has no smell of them, but I did worry alittle about that)...BUT with the QUALITY I am just thrilled!!!!

She has a web site www.hemsinahurry.com and is located here in Raleigh. Anyway wanted to share that if anyone finds themselves in that situation...

You can email me directly if you want more info on her...in addition to what her web site might have...
    Neve

[email protected]

Default RE: My seamstress surpassed expectations on my nursery

Sounds wonderful - so where are the pictures! I can't wait to see them!

JMarie
    EDD 2/23/03
    Aidan Christopher
    Jennifer
    Momma to Aidan 01/03
    New addition coming 10/08

kathsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OK, Neve,

I am really jealous!! It sounds like it is absolutely beautiful!! Please post pictures if you can!

I want to re-do Andrew's room now. Of course, DS has slept in his crib maybe 4-5 times since birth due to congestion, so DH won't really go for it! I did get the PBK yellow patchwork bumper on clearance for $20 and the PBK yellow chambray material crib skirt for the regular price of $39. It sort of matches the Lands' End barnyard sheets I bought.

I can't believe that she only charged $200 for all that! I will definitely have to get her to do some work for mr when we get to NC!

I'm glad you were able to get what you wanted and at such a good price!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

aka_mama2be Guest

I begged STeve to take pics today so I can post them (though I have no idea how to "post" them). I swear the biggest mistake we ever made was to buy a digital camera because I never have any pictures to hold or look at or share, they are all "in" the digital camera. He couldn't find the "disk thing" that you use to put the pictures in the computer...but I hope to get that this week.

The room isn't all that but what SHE has done has been great... I would have loved to put the carousol horses up on the wall but the stencils seemed so costly and I really have to watch myself with not working and just now coming off of unemployemnt, and still 2 months to go till due and then atleast 3 months till I can get ajob after that (if I can find one here)...so these next few weeks are going to have me "behaving" big time...no choice...DWATS!!!!!

I'll hopefully get atleast something out there this week...:)

I am sure it looks wonderful. We are limited in our nursery because we're renting our condo, but we were able to hang artwork and peg boards as well as a few other things. I bought peel-and-stick border for a little extra color. It's all Winnie-the-Pooh - SO typical, I know, but I've loved it since I was a little girl, so I decided that I would have one uninspired nursery first, and then get creative with the others (hopefully there are others!). I am working on getting pictures for my mom - first I need to clean out the extra boxes in the middle of the room! Your Steve is the same as mine - I'm still trying to get him to download the Christmas pictures so I can email them to my mom! I can't wait to see your nursery!

JMarie
    EDD 2/23/03
    Aidan Christopher
    Jennifer
    Momma to Aidan 01/03
    New addition coming 10/08

newbelly2002 Guest

Sounds amazing. I'm having serious nursery-envy!

Because we are renting a furnished apartment, I'm really limited in what I can do. Have been struggling with that recently. The best we can do is to hang cloth/glitter fish in a large fica tree in the nursery to complete the "fish" theme. THe room is 1950's New York City style (you know, really high ceilings, balcony off the room, white walls, wood floor. Ohhh the potential). But because of the finish on the walls (a stucco sort of thing), holes need to be kept to a bare minimum.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

Paula

akc Guest

Hi Neve -

I'm so glad you are happy with your nursery bedding & decor! We were posting back and forth about the bumper and my daughter's nursery. Isn't it wonderful to see it all when you've picked out the fabrics and dreamed it in your mind?! Since you had me post lots of pictures of Maeve's room, now you have to post some of yours! Pls! Pls! Esp with a round crib - I know no one who has one, so I'd love to see it! And, were you having a boy or girl or don't know? I can't wait - pls post!

Alexa
    (w/updated picture of Maeve)

mama2be Guest

Alexa,

Hey, Oh I remmber Maeve's room is my favorite!!! I love it!!!
    My DH can't find his disk for the digital camera but the second we find it I will post pics (though I don't know how- he will have to do that)...

It is not totally done I still have a few things that I would like to do, but that won't keep me from posting, that darn digital camera will. Big bone of contention here in the house ove rthat thing since I feel like I never get to see pics, hold pics, take pics anywhere anymore...they're all "somewhere IN the camera"...

I hope lil Maeve still loves her room, I know she does!!!

akc Guest

Hi - Oh, you are so sweet. You get to gush over your own room now - Maeve's is old news! I just caught that you went with the carousel theme as well - what kind of fabric did you use? I really love the Toyland one that we used - I'm hoping I can shift it a little to an older room and leave Maeve in her room later. We'd have to put #2 (who's not nearly on the way) in another room, but that's more opportunity for dreaming?! I wish I could send my sister to your house to paint the mural - she did it for free for us (only stencil we had was that top canopy one which was only $20 or so. I can't wait to see! :) :)

You should do both - take regular pics and digital. That's what we do. You can get a disk with your regular prints now - or Kodak places will even publish them online for you. That way you have both. I do love the digital b/c only one out of 20 of Maeve's pictures are good. And, then I have it and send it all over and love it. But, I take regular ones occasionally b/c I want to have those two - and I wouldn't trade some of the ones from the hospital in for digital. There are so precious moments of my DH with her (or one with us kissing her) that I'm so glad are on real film.

Anyway - look forward to the pics!

Alexa

mama2be Guest

Oh I didn't do the carousel theme, I was just saying I wish I could add the carrousel horses just like yours on a slanted ceiling that is very obvious in the room...just the stencil's from the company that you had recommended seemed so expensive...way more than $20 unless I misread the web site. If they were $20 I'd buy them in a heart beat...The actual horse carosel did your sister paint that or did you use a stencil?

MY room has no theme just tons of a solid color (periwinkle/royal blue/saphire color), I did buy three antique tin circus animals that are on wheels one is an elephant, giraffe, lion, but they are so small so don't set a theme but the colors are cute and they are cute. I am so anti circus that it is weird I'd even have been drawn to them.

Please let me know about the stencil...again I might ahve misread the web site because i remember thinking they were GREAT but in my head the cost seemed so much. I'll go back thru the archives and see if I can find where I might have made the mistake...

I promise I'll get pics up...kinda feel like that ceiling needs something before I can say "voila"...

Thanks for all of your help!!!

That slanted ceiling has been my major delema...there are three things I have thoght in there..
    1. Carousel horses
    2. blue sky, clouds and stars
    3. at www.poshtots.com there is a gorgeous banner that is made up of blue and white diamond shapes and it looks like a flag...I would love to reproduce that on the slanted wall/ceiling. I don't know how I would paint the diamonds but would love to do it if poss. The banner is just a small wall accent but I would want to inhance it larger...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast