Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    jojo2324 Guest

Default RE: My seamstress surpassed expectations on my nursery

I just came across this searching for more alien/rocket stuff. (Alexa, have any ideas for me? :P) The site is more just advertising her store in Seattle, not selling her wares. But maybe you could call and ask if she has that carousel pictured? It looks gorgeous!

http://www.thetinhorse.com/antiques.htm

sweetbasil Guest

That is absolutely precious! What a wonderland for a baby to get to sleep in...I LOVE that little monkey reaching from one carousel bar to another! Awesome, Alexa.

akc Guest

Oh, thanks! I hope people don't think I'm all into myself when I post pics of Maeve's room. It's just we were fairly creative in doing it b/c we had the challenge of the angled walls. Once we took on the challenge we upped it by buying all unfinished furniture (except her crib) and doing all custom bedding, curtains, etc.

Anyway, I can't take the credit for the mural. My sister just free-hand painted it. I had picked this fabric called Toyland, and she went with the carousel from there. And, it was her idea to use children's book characters. The monkey is Curious George and it has Babar, Lowly Worm (from the Richard Scary books), Olivia, Snoopy & Woodstock. I mention this b/c it is easier than people think. My sister just used a pencil and sketched - looking back and forth at the books - until she felt is was right. Then we painted it. I was only allowed to do the canopy b/c it was a stencil and some outlining (ahem...I am a draw withing the lines kind of girl, have lots of creative ideas like the ones I suggested with Neve, and get them executed, but the kind of painting in the horses and characters is not my strong suit!)

Neve, you have to let us know what you decide to do! I'm so dying to know. If you want to paint big diamonds, there is a painter that has a show on TLC I think that does them. I saw her on Oprah and ordered the books. It's called Debbie Travis' decorating solutions (she also has a painting book). I just flipped through it and it is FABULOUS for ideas. I may post on the bigger board about it. It has all sorts of ideas for fun and different ways of using paint to change a room. And, that includes the big diamonds Neve. Shows you exactly how to do it. Let me know if you think you want to go that route. You could either buy the book OR I could try to scan the pages for you. But, I think you might want to see all the ideas b/c there is a lot of cute ones included a cloudy sky, starry night, and a room like ours with angles where she's painted little stencils around the edges of the cut out area and along the wall (and painted a little tree on the wall - which she gives you direction to do!)

Anyway, just thought that might help! I think I will post it on the bigger board.

Alexa

p.s. Neve - the clouds are on an angled wall and do look nice and puffy. I'm not sure what your fabric has to see if it would be too much and out of character with the fabric. Also, several of the rooms in the book have dormer/angled ceilings and she has some really interesting ideas.

akc Guest

OOh - all, see my posting on the main thread for some pages from the book. Debbie Travis has a book on children's room - Debbie Travis' kid's rooms and it has fabulous ideas!

akc

mama2be Guest

I love Debbie Travis...have only seen her a few times on TV but love everythig she does...wonder where I can purchase the books...would I have to order them...

Alexa will you email me
    [email protected]

mom2b2003 Guest

I'm so happy to read that having your linens made worked out so well!!! I'm doing the same, but through a company that just does custom infant and children's bedding. Although they've been great throughout the process, I'm still a little anxious until I see the final product! You post has eased some of my anxiety - Thanks!!!

Kate
    EDD#1 4/8/03

mama2be Guest

Kate,

I am thrilled!!! If your company only does that sort of bedding then I am certain you are in good hands...:)

Keep us posted...I am sure you will be happy with the final product. IF it was your post about the custom bedding and the fabric included that sounded like a great price, I had suggested letting the Fields know for their book if you were happy...what a great service for the price and if you are happy with it...

mom2b2003 Guest

Yup that is my post! I couldn't believe the price and if the outcome looks anything like the photos I've seen (I have the fabric swatches which were great), I'll be very happy (I'm slightly obsessed with bedding anyway). I really think it is a tremendous value for those of us who cannot sew but want a custom look :)

I can't wait to see your photos if you can post - the bedding sounds really nice!!

Kate
    EDD#1 4/8/03

akc Guest

Hi Neve -

The projector idea is a great one - that's what I meant when I was talking about tracing, but I wasn't very eloquent. You can trace the shape directly from a book and then project it up onto the wall and draw it right from that image.

Now, don't kill me, but I'm back to the original canopy stencil. (from www.designerstencils.com - search for carousel) It is only $40 and is 11.5" tall and 31.5" wide. That means it wouldn't be a tremendous amount of work b/c it's pretty wide and it's easy b/c it's done. You'd need paint, but what I did is use the paint I had left over from a lot of different projects. We had used this Martha Stewart Shreuder's paint (very expensive, not worth it) in our house and it came with sample baby food size paint cans. I used those to do the mural colors b/c you need so little. So, if you have extra colors from other rooms (blues, greens, yellows, etc.), you could use them for the canopy. Need 3 or 4 different colors. I didn't buy brushes or the paints through this company. Just the stencil. I don't know, it just seems like you may get back up to this amount of $ with a lot more work with lots of different ideas.

Anyway, I attached a close up of the canopy and then a pic of Maeve's room again so you can see again how you can run it along your dormer ceilings. It's such a fun design, especially when you make it your colors (think the ones in the sample are a bit garish!)

I really can't wait to see pictures. The hardest thing is to find balance - if your room is small and you've got a lot of fabric-based decoration as well as an incredibly dramatic round crib, you probably want to pick some subtle accents or one or two strategic bigger accents. You've got lots of great ideas though!

I love your nursery with the little boys and girls dancing! So cute! I would never know that it wasn't a professional mural painter - really wonderful!

Now, pictures, pictures, pictures...?! If I lived near you, I'm come and snap them myself! Girlfriend, get that hubby in shape on this! Heaven forbid you go into the baby's birth w/out the picture thing under control. We took about 12 rolls in 4 days! :)

Alexa

p.s. Now, Joanne - what is your theme? Rockets and space, etc.? I'll need to give my brain a little time to think on it...!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3