Default how do you keep glider rocker from pinching/falling on baby?

We have a glider w/ottoman in my son's room and he's just about to start crawling and he already rolls everywhere and gets into everything. Do you guys do anything w/the glider and/or ottoman to keep baby from knocking it over or getting fingers pinched in all the moving parts?
    (Posted on "baby proofing" too but no response.)
    Thanks!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: how do you keep glider rocker from pinching/falling on baby?

We only would buy one that locked. I know that's probably not helpful to you, but maybe the next couple who is researching gliders.

Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, mine doesn't lock, but my DD has never done this. I have never attempted to prevent it either. Honestly, there are 1001 thngs that they can and will eventually pinch their fingers in. The thing they do pinch their fingers in will be the things you never thought of (namely the baby gate and the pantry door in this house!).

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our glider locks, but this hasn't been an issue for us either (yet). Colin has always been more interested in cruising the furniture than crawling (started cruising within days of crawling), and he's been working on his sealegs, so he can keep his balance while the glider is rocking.

Now, for surprise hazards - whodathunk that Colin could slip through the railing at the top of our stairs...
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

We did have this problem so we locked the glider and removed the ottoman from the room. I was closing supervising at first, but after DS started pulling up and then moving the ottoman while doing so, I took it out of the room.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

heidi_timms Guest

I was wondering the same thing. We got a hand-me-down Dutalier that has no lock as well. Does anyone know of an aftermarket lock that can be purchased? I was thinking of creating some sort of lock with velcro or something. Any ideas?

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey Ashlin
    4/27/03

I wonder if one of those silver metal hook-and-eye things would work, if it were in a place that was hard for baby to reach. (The kind of lock you see on some older bathrooms, screen doors, etc.)

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In addition to the lock, our instructor from our hospital childcare class recommended getting a model with covered side panels rather than wood spindles. They have seen babies with broken hands and feet from getting them stuck in between the spindles while the chair was gliding. Again this probably does not help the original poster, but maybe it will someone that is considering buying a glider. Ours has a bead board type panel instead of spindles. However, if I had it to do over again, I would buy a fully upholstered glider/rocker chair. By the time we found all of the features that we wanted on the glider, the cost was so high, we could have purchased a nice piece of furniture. Oh well, live and learn.

I consider our glider to be a nice piece of furniture. :) In fact, I got it to match the living room rather than the nursery because it will only be in the nursery for a year or two, but I expect it to last much longer than that.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!