papal Guest

Default Best Flat Mattress Pad? HELP!

Where can i get a good quality FLAT Mattress Pad (the kind that has elastic bands that go under the mattress and not pockets or elastic that goes all around the mattress, if that makes sense?). Has anyone tried the one at The Company Store? It says its water-resistant not water-proof?

Or should i just stick to the Landsend mattress pad like many others have suggested before? I just envision myself struggling to get the mattress pad all tucked in under the mattress in the middle of the night <shudder>.
    And since some of you suggested layering.. pad,sheet,pad,sheet.. wouldnt it get tougher to tuck everything under the mattress???

HELP!

Has anyone used the Ultimate Crib Sheet as a mattress pad (over mattress and not over the sheet)? Is that even possible? That would solve my problem right?

Thanks!
    Rashmi (edd Oct 19th 2003)

Edited to add my name and UCS question!

s_gosney Guest

Default RE: Best Flat Mattress Pad? HELP!

Hi Rashmi! I don't know the answer to your question...I'm actually curious to hear the answers. Just thought I'd say that my edd is the same as yours!!

papal Guest

Hey! Just 10 more weeks to go and the babies will be here! Pretty exciting isn't it? I am just going crazy researching all these baby items!!!!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Which Company Store mattress pad are you looking at? We have one that is not waterproof from them, and it has a pocket that goes all the way around the mattress pad. It is a thin fabric, though, on the sides. I'm not sure why elastic straps would be better than this type.

For the layering approach, start with the mattress pad. Then put a waterproof pad and a sheet on. Then another waterproof pad and sheet. The laying doesn't require more than one mattress pad.

You could use an UCS in place of a mattress pad, but the UCS are awfully rough and scratchy for a newborn, IMO. I much preferred to let him lay on the soft flannel sheet and just deal with changing the crib as necessary. We actually have never had to do a late-night crib sheet change; the few times he spit up at night, I just moved him to the other end of the crib and dealt with the clean-up in the morning. We did use the tie-on sheet savers from BRU for a while, but stopped using them once Colin started scooting around his crib.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

papal Guest

Hi,
    The Company store mattress pad (or topper) is called the Primaloft Allergy Free Mattress Topper. This one has elasticzed straps making the bulk less i suppose when tucking in sheets. It is a bit pricey at $60 though and it says it is only water-resistant.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.thecompanystore.com/index...+%2D+Bedskirts

They also have the waterproof one for $20 which has the elastic hem that fits mattresses 9inch deep. Is this similar to the one you have? Here is the link:

Oh when i thought layering...i thought everyone meant to layer mattress pads.. that is why i was thinking of the mattress topper instead of the mattress pad. Do the waterproof pads have elastic bands so that they dont move under the sheets? I also did not want to get a UCS since i am taking so much time to select sheets for the crib and i dont want to cover them up! I was just wondering if the UCS can be used UNDER the sheets like a waterproof pad but i guess not since they are attached to the bed rails.

So do you suggest i get the Company store mattress topper( $60), their waterproof matress pad ($20) or the landsend one ($30).

Thanks for your help so far!

Rashmi

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This is the one that I have:

The waterproof pads do not have elastic bands, but they are flannel covered so that they do not slip (at least the ones by Carter's do) when they are underneath a sheet. I suppose that you could sew on elastic bands, though, if you want. That's just one more thing to wrestle with, though, when you are peeling off a layer in the middle of the night!

The UCS could be used under a sheet, but then you can't use the elastic straps. It is awfully expensive for that purpose, though.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

papal Guest

Thanks so much for your help!
    I went ahead and got the waterproof mattress pad ($20) and 3 fitted sheets from the company store. The animals one was on sale for $8.99 and the pastel gingham and plain were for $12.00 each. So alltogether with the 10% discount code, including shipping it was $61. Not too bad methinks!
    Now all i need is the waterproof pads from Carters and some sheet savers.
    I will let you know what i think of the waterproof mattress pad.. i am hoping its not too plasticky.. if it is i will switch to the landsend one ($29).

Thanks,
    Rashmi

May I ask what the 10% discount code. I was planning on buying sheets from the company store this week. I noticed that the flannel was super discounted but they only had crib skirts left. Does anyone think it would be wierd and/or noticible to have a flannel crib skirt with cotton percale sheets?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

papal Guest

Hi,
    The coupon code is DKG7756 and expires 8/23. Here is the link of the person who originally posted the code:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/558.html

I had the same doubt about the flannel skirt and cotton sheets... i was not sure if the colors would be the same on both so I did not get the skirt.. if you do, please let me know if they match!

Thanks,
    Rashmi

Thanks for the code. I'll let you know if I get the flannel or not.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade