Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PattiB Guest

Default Bumper or not to Bumper - informal survey....

I am SO confused as to whether or not to use bumper pads. A lot of my friends and my mother act as though it's a given that I must use a bumper. It used to be the case that it was considered almost a necessity. Now the SIDS group and many pediatricians seem to be recommending against use. I wish I had personal experience to draw on, but I don't b/c I'll be a first-time mom. I have to admit I love the look of the bumper and am tempted to get one so the crib looks nice, but of course I don't want to do this at the risk of harming my baby. So I'm just wondering what parents are doing or have done and how it worked for them. Our cribs has the slats all around, not just on the sides, and I'm wondering if this might be a problem without a bumper, with limbs sticking out, or if there's a problem with baby bumping its head on the sides when it becomes more mobile. Any advice/experience would be most helpful!

ginamlee Guest

Default RE: Bumper or not to Bumper - informal survey....

I decided against the bumper due to the SIDS risk.

Additionally, the bumper can be a pain in the butt when you are trying to change the sheets.

I never got around to putting the bumper on, and never missed it. It's just fine without it.

...Karen
    Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
    Logan Elizabeth Mar 03
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

amp Guest

Chose not to bother with the cost of purchasing a bumper due to safety risk and I don't miss it at all. In fact, I like being able to peek in through the slats to see DS in there and a bumper would get in the way of my view!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I bumpered but now wish that I hadn't because Colin is used to the bumper and doesn't nap as well when we take it out!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I am probably the minority here. I use the bumper. DD #1 always slept with her head butted against the pad, and apparently so does DD #2 (she can wiggle all over the crib). I figured it was a little cushier on their heads. Also, I never took it out even after DD #1 could stand up. I tried really hard to see how she could use the bumper as a launching pad to get out of the crib, but I never saw it. If you step on the bumper pad, it gets all squished to the ground. Good luck! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
    Kathleen 3/22/01
    Ellen 6/4/03

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have not used a bumper at at. It really isn't a big deal once the baby becomes mobile. In fact my son likes to curl his hand around the crib slats sometimes while he is sleeping. Only a couple of times when he was younger and newly mobile he got his arm stuck in between the slats. He cried but wasn't hurt, I think he was just startled. He learned within a couple of days not to do that.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

luvbeinmama Guest

I never used them, and don't miss them. DS got his leg stuck once, and only once. DD has yet to get stuck. Both kids ended up with their heads against the slats sometimes, it never seemed to bother them. My crib does look plain, as I only have the sheet, but I like it. Ditto on the comment about it being easy to change sheets without the bumper. HTH!

aguinn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i don't use a bumper, either - just a sheet and mattress duster - but only because the crib side would not lower with it attached.

hope this helps!

;)amy
    new mom to aidan - 7/29/03

papal Guest

Hi,
    First time mom-to-be here too and I had the same doubt as you. Finally I decided that I am not going to bumper due to the SIDS risk. Also I think you can see the baby better without the bumper (no idea if this is true in real life) .Plus the money I save I can use towards something else!

Rashmi (eddd 10/19/03)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast