Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Bumper or not to Bumper - informal survey....

I did use a bumper with DD and plan on using one with DS when he arrives. I have just never seen anything which truly indicates they are dangerous. There certainly was never any problem with DD. IMO, they just make the crib look so cute. But then, I also use the theme of the bumper to set the theme for the whole room.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I didn't use one early on, when DS wasn't going anywhere. But now that he's in his kinda-sorta-mobile stage, and sometimes finds himself crammed in a corner or against a side, I use one. Now I sometimes find him awake in his crib laughing or smiling at it, so it stays!! At least for now. :)

peanut4us Guest

We did... it was purely aesthetic. As soon as DD started moving around/rolling over, we took them out. she has stuck an arm and a leg out a few times, but it wasn't a big deal. It's your level of comfort.

Andrea S is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We bumpered until about 6 months when Andrew started pulling on it.

Andrea
    mom to Andrew 8/14/02
    Andrea

DS 8/02
    DS 3/06
    and baby girl 5/08

If I was to do it all over again, I would skip the bumper. I thought it was a total waste of money. DD slept in a bassinet for 3 months, and when we moved her into the crib, we only used the bumper for a month! I say skip it.

newmomnyc Guest

Our baby loves to mush up against the sides of the crib, so it's a must-have for us. Also, when we visited my sister, who borrowed a portacrib for us, we even bought a portacrib bumper so baby would still have a cozy nest. I guess I worry about her bonking her head as well as getting her arms and legs stuck through the slats.

s_gosney Guest

I haven't yet decided on this issue. I had planned to use the bumper, but this post raised some good issues. A couple of questions...Are all cribs made where you can't lower the rail without messing up the bumper or does it vary? To change the sheets you have to remove the bumper? We haven't assembled our crib yet, and I can't tell you the last time I was around a baby. I have so much to learn! :P

newmomnyc Guest

We can change our sheets without removing the bumper, and we can lower the rail easily with the bumper on. I don't remember what kind of crib we have-- nothing unusual though. The bumper is by Banana Fish.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had planned to make a bumper, but my child decided to arrive before I could complete the project (well, even start the project!). I also didn't put him into his crib until he was nearly 6-months-old, so his crib is bumper-less. We don't miss it. Our crib is like yours -- slats all around, but while he's stuck his hands and feet through the openings, he's never gotten them *stuck* yet.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

MiaPia Guest

We've never used a bumper, and have never missed it. I just felt much safer having the air be able to completely circulate throughout the crib.
    Harrison is a VERY active sleeper too, and we never had an issue with him hurting himself on the crib slats. He also liked to stick his arms and legs out of the slats, but never got them stuck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast