Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    peanut4us Guest

Default RE: Bumper or not to Bumper - informal survey....

We *can* do both, but it's a royal pain in the arse. It takes much less time IMO to just remove the bumper from one sied of the crib and do our thing. But we never needed to lower the crib side to put DD in or out of her crib. She's on the highest mattress setting, and we could easily pull her in and out.

Tanya Guest

I did not use bumper pads. While I also thought they looked cute, I didn't think the appearance outweighed the safety. I also would rather have my baby hit her head or get her legs or arms caught than to stop breathing. So, that's how I decided against them.

I also had my mom thinking I HAD to have bumper pads. She even went so far as to go buy a set and I had to make her return them. It was also annoying that so many bedding sets came with bumper pads. However, you aren't supposed to use the comforter on the baby either, so I started thinking that all I needed (and wanted) were sheets and a crib skirt. So, I saved a bunch of money and just got those.

Now I'm quite pleased with my decision. I chose to decorate my nursery walls and go simple with the bedding. I don't think it looks bare at all, but maybe I'm just used to it. I'm going to attempt to post some pictures here, but I have no idea if I remember how.

http://www.geocities.com/mirahershey...m/nurseryE.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/mirahershey...m/DSC00458.jpg

My baby is 4.5 months old and hasn't hit her head in her crib. Nor has she gotten limbs stuck. She does grab ahold of the slats with her hands once in awhile.
    However, I'm learning that you can't "pad" everything. My girl is rolling now and she rolled into a wall this past week. The side of her head was red for a bit. She stopped crying as soon as I picked her up. I have the feeling she's going to hurt herself a lot more as she gets even more mobile.

I haven't missed the bumper pads a bit and am happy with my decision. My mom agrees that my nursery does look cute...although at first she even commented that the crib didn't look "made" without a comforter. Like I'm going to "make" her crib after she sleeps in it every time. My hands are full enough and I often move her from the changing table to the crib in order to get her clothes out of the closet to dress her.

Tanya

PattiB Guest

Wow, thanks everyone for all of your helpful advice! I'm pretty sure I'm not going to use a bumper after reading your messages, although I now have one because it came with the set I bought and it was cheaper to buy the whole package on sale than it was to buy the items separately even without the bumper. Maybe I'll just use it as decoration because it is so pretty until I get sick of taking it out at night...I give it about a week if that :)

Vajrastorm Guest

Coming in late, but I didn't buy a bumper because of cost and SIDS. Don't have the baby to put in the crib yet, though! (Another expecting October mom)

ncmommy Guest

I wasn't sure what to do either, but ultimately decided to use a bumper. We found one that had good ties on the top and bottom, so it fits secure and DS can't pull it off. I'm glad I have it because now that he is pushing himslef up with his arms he sometimes falls and his head against the bumper (much softer than the wood slats). We'll have to remove it when he starts pulling up so he doesn't use it to climb on, but for now I'm glad we have it. It also keeps his little arms and legs from getting caught between the slats. One thing I'd do differently though...I think I'd try to get a firmer one - not big and puffy, but one that won't get scrunched down so easily. Ours came from PBK.

vikivoly Guest

I use a bumper. DD twists around in her crib, many times I find her sleeping perpendicular in her crib. I know I wouldn't be too comfortable with my head smashed against the crib rail.

blnony Guest

We took the bumper out early on b/c dd would move around and put her head b/t the bumper and mattress. And it was a pain when changing sheets. We never missed it, Audrey didn't ever "bump" the crib, get limbs stuck etc.

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We use a bumper. And my son sometimes snuggles against it or crams his head in the corner so it's nice to have a little bit of padding/warmth. He's been doing this since he became mobile and he's strong enough to move head.

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

We originally used a bumper, totally for decoration! As soon as Jude started moving around we removed it.

A friend's child died of SIDS and it really scared me to have this in the crib.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

well call me a bad mommy but we had a bumper from the beginning... it is a nice thin one from Pottery barn kids.... and DS always snuggles up against it at night.... he is now 2 years old... still in his crib with his bumper and has only climbed out twice in his life!!! So as far as I'm concerned it helped keep him from bumping his head as he is an active sleeper and kept his little legs and arms from slipping through the slats and getting stuck.. which is scary! Maybe ours is just an older style being so thin.... when he stepped on it it just smooshed down never really "helped" him to attmpt climbing out!

I would definetly buy a bumper again... just be sure yours isn't really thick and puffy!

Good luck
    ~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3