umma2002 Guest

Default Comforter for 1 year old?

How long do you have to wait until you can give your child a comforter to sleep with? Is a 1 year-old too young still?

MiaPia Guest

Default RE: Comforter for 1 year old?

In my personal opinion, I think it would be fine to give a 1 year old a comforter. By the time Harrison was a year old he was sleeping with a heavy quilt. But of course I may be the wrong person to ask, because by the time he was 18 months he also had his own pillow! LOL

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Colin is almost 1, and I wouldn't be comfortable giving him a comforter to sleep with. He does sleep with a crocheted (open, airy) blanket and has for months, but I wouldn't give him a thick comforter that he couldn't breathe through.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Eilly Guest

This is just the question I was going to ask. My son just turned one and has been sleeping on a double futon on the floor for the past five months or so. This floor-sleeping arrangement happened by chance -- we were painting his room and put him on a futon in the living room for a couple of nights and HE STARTED SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT so we just left him on it. He loves it and moves around a lot during the night. Now, with winter coming on, I plan to move him back into his crib as I think he will be too cold on the floor. Question is what should I use for bedding? He moves around a lot so I don't think he'd be comfortable tucked in under a sheet and blankets. I would love to get him some sort of light comforter that could move around with him, in theory! Any alternatives to the top sheet/blanket combo? Would be great to hear about them.

Jenmv Guest

I second the idea of using a crocheted blanket. We've been using one since she was a newborn and I recently tried switching to a receiving weight blanket and she didn't sleep as well. Granted she still manages to squirm out of her covers but what I like about the crocheted blanket is that it is stretchy and cuddly, has a cetain amount of weight and warmth to it but the openess of the weave make me feel safe about her breathing. I have absolutely no talent in making these kind of things but was fortunate to have received several as gifts.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Try fleece blanket sleepers or fleece sleep sacks (from Halo - they make them big enough). A comforter will just get kicked off, so it won't keep him warm. I can't see how any covers would stay on top of a squirmy one-year-old!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

My ped said to wait until the child is about 2 years old. Blanket sleepers with feet are great for colder weather.