Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bumpers

Default RE: Bumpers

DD is almost 5 months old and we never used bumpers. Out thoughts were : 1. possible SIDS risk; 2. child will eventually learn to sit/stand and they have to come out then anyway; 3. easier to change bedding; and 4. they are expensive! I know some people make their own, but I am so unhandy at sewing, I glued my girl scout patches on! Seriously, DD does tend to scoot around, but I have never caught her with a limb outside the crib. We have also used tightly rolled receiving blankets on either side to "corral" her. Also, I don't know that a baby really can work up enough momentum to hurt itself by rolling into the side. It might startle the child, but I don't think it would really hurt.

ladythebabygirl Guest

At what age are you suppose to take the bumpers off the crib and are they really necessary??

Thanks
    Mel

onlyone Guest

Wow- I'm surprised the overwhelming majority is agains bumpers. I was initially not going to get them, but I've actually been using them since day 1.

My daughter will be a year old in a couple of weeks and I've never worried about SIDS. I know she would definitely have bumped her head pretty hard if it wasn't for the bumpers...

I think it's a matter of what each parent feels comfortable with. Good luck making your decision.
    MD

vikivoly Guest

I used bumpers too. I think many of us on this board do use bumpers, but we aren't as vocal as those who don't use them. I have a feeling that a lot of bumper users don't post because they don't want to be viewed as a "bad" parent for using bumpers. Plenty of BBB members post their nursery pics and a lot have bumpers in their cribs.

vpalmer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was going to post something very similar to Vicki's comments, but she said it better than I. I have used bumpers since day one and I will continue to use them until we determine that they are unsafe for our daughter. So far they have been great.

Veronica
    Mom to Eva
    Born on 6-12-03

We also use a bumper. We make sure they are tied securely. We have never had the ties become undone or any other problems. We tried to take the bumber off at 6 months but DS's leg kept getting stuck. ( He likes to wedge himself into the corner of the crib and sleep LOL!!). He also won't go to sleep if he can see out into the nursery. Now he's figured out how to pull up in his crib so I'm guessing the bumber will have to go soon.

HTH

athensmom Guest

I used Bumpers with my first, before I heard the horror stories and never had any problems. Practically, it is a pain changing the bed with bumpers. I haven't used them with my second but, her legs are constantly getting stuck in the slats of the crib. Has any one tried the mesh bumper from wal-mart? It looks like a good idea - not very pretty though - maybe it's just the photo.

Jen
    Killan 10/31/00
    Eloise 5/20/03

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default How has had a dangerous bumper experience??

I know the party line is no bumpers and I did remove them once my son was moving around BUT I have never heard any examples/stats on how many babies are harmed by bumpers...and I have a hard time seeing the one I used as dangerous. Please post if you have had trouble or if you know some stats on the actual as opposed to theoretical risks....Thanks. I'll admit I am a pretty unconvinced of the dangers and would like an education...

toomanystrollers Guest

Default RE: How has had a dangerous bumper experience??

I can't find any stats that are narrowed down to bumpers in particular - just deaths/injuries that are classified as "crib accidents" - which could mean a lot of different scenarios.

FWIW, all 3 of ours had bumpers. I tried Neve without the bumpers and it was a no-go. I guess she likes to be cozy and closed-in.

we have a bumper on right now, but DD isn't here yet. i bought the whole set before the idea of bumpers being dangerous ever occurred to me. my friends who don't use them have babies that are always getting their legs stuck in the slats, which upsets them and wakes them up, yet they are at an age where putting one in may make it a climbing tool/hazard. i have seen the mesh bumpers and they seem to be a good alternative for the 1st few months, but most will have the same issue (as baby learns to stand, can possibly get a foothold and climb out). SO...today i went on BRU and saw a product called Crib Shield System by Trend Lab (they also make a breathable mesh bumper). the main difference, it seems to me, is the "system" comes up and over the top of the crib sides - leaving no space for baby to get his/her foot into. SO...for now, i have registered for it for a few reasons...1) i'd rather not have DD waking up screaming w/limbs in the crib slats 2) we have cats and once the bumper is out, i can see them jumping right in (i plan on trying to keep them out during nap-time but they are tricky little suckers) (FYI, we are ALSO registering for the crib tent, which should keep pets out and baby IN) and 3) i like that it offers pretty full coverage of the crib (comes up and over the top like a teething rail). the one review on amazon/BRU says it kept coming off of her thick sided sleigh style crib but we don't have a crib like this and i can't imagine it being a problem. sure, DD's crib is gonna look like one big mosquito net when we're done with it but for safety's sake, i think it's worth it. i don't know, though, if it will add the same kind of protection if DD rolled over and hit her head. i think we might just have to wait and see what kind of sleeper she is. it might be bumper for the 1st few months and then switching to the mesh system when she sits up. if you haven't purchased either yet, take a look at the mesh system and see if it appeals to you - i can't see any drawbacks to it, as long as it fits your crib properly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast