Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Bumpers - Yes or No?

We didn't use bumpers at all until DS was about 7 months old - then my MIL insisted on buying and doing up his crib like a crib should look (with a complete set of matched bedding). I took out the bumper as soon as I could get away with it, because DS liked to wiggle up into the corner and press his face into it. He did it without the bumper, and he does it with...just without I don't worry that he can't breathe. To give you an idea of how jammed DS gets into the corner, DH likes to say he's making love to it.

I didn't really feel strongly about them one way or another until I saw where DS got to with one in there. Until baby can move around, it wouldn't make much difference as far as safety goes, but after, well, I believe my husband said it all.

-Petra

DS. Nathan, 12/29/03

grapesoda Guest

I got my bumper and bedding set from PBK. It had ties on top and bottom. I took the bumper off once we lowered the mattress for DD, around 7 or 8 mos.

I'm glad we got it b/c DD would thrash quite a bit, she'd be asleep then roll over pretty hard. The bumper never caused problems for us. Like a PP said, we have a crib w/ solid foot/headboard, so I couldn't really keep it on quite as long as I could've w/ one w/ slats all around.

HTH,
    Jen
    Mommy to Madeline
    10/25/03

Judegirl Guest

I have a bedding set from Glenna Jean, complete with bumpers that tie at top and bottom, which we use. They're pretty thin and she doesn't move around yet, but we plan to remove them as soon as we think she might roll into them or use them to pull up. However, she's got very chubby limbs, so we're also nervous about her getting things stuck between the slats. We'll have to play it by ear. She's almost 4 months old now, though, and they're still in the crib.

Jude

Jen in Chicago Guest

I was not going to do bumpers, but then Grandma made some. They were used for 6 weeks, until Jude started to roll around. They were QUICKLY removed due to the SIDS risk. A friend lost a child to SIDS I could not dare do something that would pose a risk. We have never had a problem with limbs getting stuck or crib injuries. Jude is not a paci child, so that was not an issue. The biggest problem we have now is if he throws out his monkey or blanket.

IMO bumpers are pretty, but not necessary. It is just like everything else, you can learn to live with them, or learn to live without them.

We didn't use bumpers. DS sometimes got his arms/legs caught between the rails but he was always able to get time out. I too was caught between the debate of using vs. not using but decided not using them at the end because
    1. the one from Lands End that matches the crib sheets were $60 and I did not want to pay that much for something that would only be used for a short period of time.
    2. I didn't want to skimp and buy cheap bumpers that may be a risk to DS in the crib.

I think ultimately it's whatever you're comfortable with.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

lilye13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

What a coincidence, I just polled my friends about when they took theirs out becausee I wanted to get another set-*see below- for my son and read on the Pottery Barn Kids website that once they can sit/stand up to remove them- the first I ever heard. My DS is 14 months sitting,standing (walking running!) and has (yet) to try to stand on them and climb out and such. From my informal 'poll' it was 75% still use or used almost 2 or transition to bed and 25% moved them once they could climb on them.

*the set I have is a Winnie the Pooh set andhas one piece that is a BIG bumper for one end and then the small rectangular ones for the other three sides. I find now that that big piece is just getting all smooshed up and I want one thatis rectangle all they way round.

As with all thing baby really-Go with what you like and feel comfortable with. For me I never even thought to feel nervous about using them. You'll be amazed what you all- baby included can get used to.
    good luck
    mummy to
    DS 7/03
    DD 2/07
    DS 1/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We don't use them and I like that I can peek in through the door and see if he's sleeping or what. I think with a bumper, I'd have to get further into the room to see over it. I wouldn't want to wake him!

Kris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3