Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Dry Clean Only" vs Dreft- how do you clean custom sheets?

I'm about to be a first-time mom, and I have a question. I'm new to this board, so forgive me if this issue has been addressed previously.

I purchased custom bedding for my baby's crib, and it is "dry clean only". However, I keep hearing that before I bring my baby home (and after), I should wash her clothes and bedding in Dreft, because it's supposed to be the most gentle detergent. If my bedding is dry clean only, how should I clean it when I get it home from the store- should I get it dry cleaned (or would that be bad because of dry cleaning chemicals?), should I wash it in Dreft (even though I'm not supposed to wash it myself), or should I do nothing?

Any insight you can give would be appreciated. Thank you!

First due in CA in October

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: "Dry Clean Only" vs Dreft- how do you clean custom sheets?

It depends on the fabric. If the fabric is washable normally (ie cotton) then you should be able to machine wash it maybe on gentle cycle, then air dry it and iron if necessary. I'd be concerned about washing a bumper because of the padding inside. I custom made DD bedding (not the sheets though) and I machine washed everything but the bumper. IMHO other than the sheets and blankets you can get away with just doing nothing. But that is your call.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

temt1219 Guest

Just an FYI - you can use any detergent that is fragrance-free and gentle - it does not need to be Dreft, per se. I actually used an organic, natural detergent on dd's things before we figured out that she didn't have any allergies to other detergents. I kind of think the whole Dreft thing is a racket! You can use All Free or Tide Free or whatever and they are fine.

I washed all dd's bedding with the exception of the bumper before she was born. To be honest with you, she doesn't go near the bumper and I haven't washed it yet! But that's just me...I am sure whatever you decide will be just fine.

hth!

I wouldn't wash or dry clean the bumper either...many times even the good ones lose their shape in the wash...and I second the harsh chemicals involved in DCing. Air it out a week before your little one arrives...and spot clean it with a solvent-based (dry-clean) spray if it gets bodily fluids on it. By the time it gets dirty enough to need a good machine washing, you won't care that it looks a little more ragged. Many moms take them out around 3-4 months anyways.

On another note, I feel compelled to warn you about the "Dreft" thing: it's not only overrated; it's potentially harmful to a young infant's skin (see the Baby Bargains book). My bestfriend said her pediatrician told her that she should wash the baby's clothes in Dreft because "babies NEED to have soft things against their skin"...hmmm...don't know what part of medical school teaches that?...but anyways, the perfume in the detergent was irritating her son's fragile skin, causing a slight rash. When she switched to All Free & Clear, it all stopped. Now, Tide has a dreft-like detergent with a "touch of Downy"...but it's the same harsh perfumes that can irritate young babies' skin.

When my sister came to stay with my hubby and I, she used All Clear and Downy Unscented. Her best advice was that babies' clothes should come out of the wash smelling like nothing. HTH

proggoddess Guest

Definitely check the fabric. If it is something that isn't exotic or will shrink excessively, get a big plastic tub and hand wash and line dry. Personally, I wonder if the chemicals used in dry cleaning would be bad for baby.

Who makes something for a baby that's dry clean only? How strange.... :)

audys Guest

I'd call the manufacturer and ask about other options. It would be a real shame if the fabric is really "dry clean only". If that's the truth, I'd consider other sheets! I'm washing sheets daily and "dry clean only" sheets would be a nightmare - I have some dry clean baby blankets and I just don't understand how the manufacturers don't think of practicality with baby items... Could you return the sheets or are they so custom that fees are involved? I'm sure they're beautiful though,

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb, 2004

No, they cannot be returned and I don't want to return them. The bumper and skirt are custom. I bought inexpensive, plain white fitted sheets (which are washable), and obviously I'll wash those. I'm just not sure what to do about the bumper.

audys Guest

I gently washed and dried my cotton bumper several times without problems (but it wasn't a dry clean item) - I air dried it though so the color didn't fade. I have also dry cleaned a lot of the bedding on my bed without any problems - I don't think it would be a problem but you could ask your dry cleaner what they think about baby items. If the bumper smells like dye (like some of the finer brocades), I'd definitely wash it before use. If not, you may be OK to just use it.

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My grandmother is making my entire crib set and she's making the bumper as a slipcover for a plain white bumper to make for easy cleaning.

Color me ignorant, though - why on earth would you wash the crib skirt/dust ruffle? When would the baby ever come into contact with that? Or am I missing something?

I really don't see a need to wash the skirt (and wasn't planning to do so), but I guess in theory, there could be a concern that although the skirt isn't against the baby's skin per se, it is in close proximity to the place where baby sleeps.

First due in CA in October

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast