Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    amp Guest

Default RE: Questions about how you decorated your nursery

Cathleen - This is precicsely one of the borders I am considering. Where did you buy yours and were you happy with the company/order?

Everyone else - You guys do great work! Thanks for sharing what you've done. I'm getting excited about the daunting process of deciding how to decorate. And the more I see of green in nurseries, the more I'm liking it, although I've always been a "blue" kind of gal! I do like the blue in Simon's nursery though and if I knew I was having a boy, I might do all blue. If we don't know gender, I may put some blue in there, but it will not be a dominant full wall color unless it is light with some gender neutral accents, etc.

Anyone else want to share?

vdrake71 Guest

We painted DS nursery 1/2 green (bottom) and 1/2 blue (top and ceiling). The paint came from Home Depot. The chair rail was hand made and it looks like a farm fence. We did not know the gender of our child at the time we decided on the theme. We went for a farm theme since we live on a farm. The bedding came from Wendy Bee and it has farm animals on it. We did not use a border, but painted clouds on the blue paint (including the ceiling) and painted grass on the green paint.

We didn't know gender and went somewhat neutral. We had ideas for different accents if DS was a girl but didn't need them. We used a tan paint 2/3 of the way up the wall, DH made a peg rail border around the room. The top 1/3 and ceiling are a creamy tanish white. We use his pegs for all kinds of things now - decorative and useful. His crib is long gone now and replaced with a bed, but this is what it used to look like.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/15890.jpg
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

bobacat Guest

We're in the middle of decorating. I guess I should say I, not we. My husband could pretty much care less. :) We waited to start until we knew it was a boy.

We started with a blue crib we bought at BRU that looks similar to this one at Pottery Barn.
    http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/p...7Cab&gids=k650

Then we decided on bedding from House Inc. They let you choose your patterns. We chose a blue harlequin, blue giraffes, blue and green stripes, and green polka dots. We bought extra fabric in the green polka dots to make penant valances (the valances that look like flags).
    http://www.houseinc.com/fabrics.html

I debated back and forth whether to buy new furniture, but I decided against it because the nursery is not very boyish and I figured he'd want to change it when he was older. I opted to paint a dresser that I already have. It's white, and I painted stripes and harlequins on it in blue and green. I ordered a hutch from the unfinished furniture place where the dresser is from, but that hasn't come in yet.

Then I ordered a green microfiber glider from Best Chairs, but that hasn't come in yet.

Now I am trying to choose paint. I think so far I like White Satin (which is actually a light blue) from Ben Moore and Herbal Mist from Behr. I plan to do harlequin diamonds on the walls in blues and greens, probably with a white base.

It's kind of hard to continue until all of the stuff comes in, which will not be for at least another 6 weeks. Yuck. I'm not a fan of wallpaper or borders, so I didn't want to use them in the nursery. My husband and I have done lots of funky wall treatments with paint before so it's not a challenge.

You can see a few of them here. The house no longer looks this way. I decided my weird treatments were ugly and went neutral instead. But they are good inspiration for a nursery!
    http://roxannesworld.com/newhousepics.htm

punk mama Guest

Karen, I love your changing table/dresser...what brand is it?

It's the Kidsline Barnyard pattern. Once I decided on it, I shopped around and ended up ordering from a variety of vendors including BRU, Babycenter and from a website run by a brick & morter company in Florida. The borders I got from BRU. Quick shipping, so I really couldn't complain about either BRU or Babycenter.

I ordered the bulk of the bedding set from the Florida company (FLBabyandKids or something like that). I found them by doing a google search on Kidsline Barnyard, and price comparing each item I wanted and available discounts. They had the lowest prices on most of the items. It took forever for me to get my order though, and their responsiveness was less than impressive to my requests for order status. I did get everything I ordered, but thank goodness I ordered early (late Sept. for a Jan baby), or it never would have arrived on time! Hindsight, I probably would have gone with a slightly higher but more responsive company to give me some peace of mind. We ordered almost every piece they make in the pattern (too much probably), though, so we were definitely looking to economize.
    Cathleen
    Mom to DS 8, DD 5 and a Greyhound Princess

emky Guest

Veronica,

We are also doing a farm nursery as husband and I both grew up on farms. I think the chair rail sounds like a great idea. How did you do it? What does the Wendy Bee bedding look like in person? I have only seen it online.

I would love to see a picture of your nursery.

Thanks,
    Emily

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

We must have tried at least 10 different greens on the walls before finding Benjamin Moore's Potpurri Green. It was on the cover of Real Simple magazine Feb. 2004, I was due in March!. Tried it, it looked great and so much better than anything else we tried. It is similar to PP Kiwi color. Very spring type green, not really a sage type. Our room faced north so wanted something brighter and less sagey. It looks great with yellow, light blue, would look great with pink too for a girl. I don't have my regular computer so can't post a photo, but wanted to throw it out there.

jayali Guest

I was pretty determined not to have a themed nursery. I ws afraid I would end up hating it even before the baby was born.

We went with Vermont Precision crib and furniture. We did real furniture, not baby furniture and I am so glad we did. I am hoping that our son will use his furniture forever. We are still using my husbands maple dresser in our guest bedroom!

We were planning on doing a painted "dental molding" border, just like in the PBK catalogue, however, the painter didn't quite get it and it came out horrible. Soooo, I picked out a border, which I really didn't want to do, and we had it hung midway up the wall to separate the white (on top) and blue(bottom) on the walls. Turns out I LOVE it, and so does our son. He wakes up and talks to "the bears". All of the pictures of him in his crib look great because the border makes a great backdrop.

Bedding, again, I did not want a theme, so we did a plain blue chenille bummper from Bella Notte, with the matching bedskirt. I ordered some of their accent pillows and throw to keep in the crib when Matthew isn't in it. Since the bedding is neutral I have the luxury of accenting with anything I want. The border has all sorts of soft primary colors. It looks a little like a soft version of Ralph Lauren, but I don't recall the name or maker of the pattern.

Since Matty's room doesn't have a theme we have been having lots of fun collecting things we love (like old fashioned tin toys and handpainted picture frames) to decorate. I am really glad we decided against the theme and went with neutral colors. It really helps since you get gifts from people who don't really know you. We haven't had any major problems with things that don't go - we are lucky.

I will probably do the same if we have another, no theme and real furniture.

Enjoy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast