Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    savannah Guest

Default Is it worth buying a bumper?

I just received the gorgeous Diamond Maltesse bedding set from Pottery Barn. Friends have recommended I return the bumper for something more practical. They said the bumper isn't necessary (which I know Baby Bargains says as well) and that they didn't even use it that long.
    Any thoughts?

Savannah

Default RE: Is it worth buying a bumper?

Personally, I must totally disagree. I know every child is different, but my DD (17 months) still cuddles up to her bumper. I think it helps her feel snug and she also rolls around alot so it prevents her from bumping her head or getting a foot caught. The only reason I would take one out is if she used it to step on to climb out which she can't with ours because it isn't that thick.
    That's just my personal opinion!
    ~Tanya

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I totally agree with Tanya. We didn't have one until DD was about a year - I noticed she'd bump against the crib and wake up. I can hear her through our bedroom walls. So I got her a bumper, and now she's less inclined to wake in the middle of the night. DD is not much of a climber anyway, but it's way too thin for her to use as a launching pad.

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You could always keep it and decide when your baby gets here. I think it just depends on the baby/parent as to whether you'd use it or miss it. We co-slept for the first 7 months, so our baby wasn't even in his crib until after the recommended time to remove the bumper. I was going to make a bumper, but he arrived 5 weeks early and I never got around to it.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

savannah Guest

Thank you! It is good to hear a differing opinion! I never really thought about the head/extremities getting caught in the slats.

Savannah

I also received a beautiful PBK bumper, and I returned it. We had the crib in our room, and a bumper would have obstructed my view of DD from my bed! I may have wanted one if we had a nursery, but I really don't miss it and would rather have something practical or at least that would get use for longer. Maybe coordinating PBK wall decor??

I really wish we hadn't wasted the money on the crib set including bumper. I should have just bought the sheet, dust ruffle and valance. My son didn't sleep in his big crib until seven months, but did hang out in the crib sometimes - just not for sleeping. It obstructed my view of our son and we didn't need it. He sticks his feet out of the crib sometimes but they don't get caught and he rolls around but hasn't woken himself up, even with vigorous rolling. The bumper seems unnecessary to me and with the unknowns about SIDs (some feel bumpers can be a risk) and my wanting to be able to see him clearly, we just packed it away. That's just my experience. I love that PB bedding!

Kimberly
    DS 3/18/04

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It is indispensible here. DD who turns two this week still uses hers. I tried taking it out a couple of times and it was a disaster. She snuggles up to it, it keeps her animals and pacis in the crib and keeps her from banging her head. We moved her to a new crib in her "big girl" room until she is ready for a twin bed and i bought another bumper - it just isn't worth the loss of sleep on both our parts not to have one.

Holly
    Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
    Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Did not have it and did not miss it

Hi Savannah,

I supposed every child & parents are different :-)
    DS never had bumpers, and we did not miss it. He is 18 months old now, and occasionally his feet /arms are hanging out of the crib, but it is not a problem (he will just pull them back in some time later). He started sleeping in his crib since he was 2 weeks old.

Good luck!
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Jennamax Guest

We never, ever used the bumper that came with our crib set. It is still in his closet, and if I had to purchase it separately I never would have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast