Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    tinkerbell1217 Guest

Default RE: Is it worth buying a bumper?

I have to say I agree with Tanya. All 3 of my kids would roll around once they got slightly mobile and could turn over and bump themselves awake at night. I am glad I had a bumper in the crib!! made it a less traumatic waking up! I took them out when DD#1 and DS were around 7-9 months old and they used to still get arms and legs stuck sometimes. It was a pain! But, every child is different. I have a friend who never used hers and her DD was just fine without it, but she wan't a "mover and shaker" in the crib either. I still have DD#2 with a bumper in her crib and she is 6 months. Some people say they are dangerous, I disagree if they are used properly and removed at an appropriate time.

MY DS is due in June. My prenatal instructor just came back from a SIDS conference and they are totally against bumpers. The baby rolls over into the bumpers and if his/her face is too close they can rebreathe their carbon dioxide and potentially suffocate. Some of the parents in my class argued the limb complaint, etc... one Dad spoke up and said I would rather have a bruise or a crying baby than no baby at all.

Just food for thought. I cancelled my bedding ordering because the bumpers and the quilt was what I liked the most. It saved us a lot of money.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Charlotte is almost six months and she has been sleeping in her crib with a bumper for at least five months. I do not think it is dangerous, but I also put her to sleep on her tummy. Everyone has different comfort levels. I do think it protects her, as she often rolls against the side of the crib or gets herself stuck in a corner. Take your friends advice with a grain of salt and then do what you want. Practicality is a good thing, but so is the occasional splurge!

-Pam

Charlotte Rose born 10/5/2004

Another bumper user here...DD loved her bumper, it made her crib very cozy, and as she got older she loved sleeping with her back against it. Like a PP mentioned, I think it kept paci's and lamby from falling out keeping her happy and mommy happy too! We just moved DD to her "big girl crib" last month at 29 months, and she had her bumper until then.

HTH,
    Nicole

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm cheap, so once Baby Bargains said it was optional, I didn't buy one. I've never missed it. Jonathan is all over the crib at night - we can hear the thumping from downstairs - but he settles himself down and doesn't seem to mind knocking up against crib rails.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely another bumper user here...for most of the same reasons. My 19 month old DD still cuddles her back up to it & she's quite the thrasher when she sleeps so I like having the cushion there. I wouldn't do without it & plan to use them with any more children we have. Still, it's all personal preference.
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

gadu Guest

My dd loved (and still loves) her bumper so much. In fact we now have it semi-attached along one side of her toddler bed because she really likes to snuggle up to it to fall asleep (it is silk, I don't blame her). I may have to cut it down to pillow-sized to help deal with such a large attachment object!

But of course that is what worked for us and it boils down to personal preference.

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have one and at 7.5 months dd has never even slept in the crib, so going by me retrun the whole bed lol.
    JK
    PBK has a one year eturn polocy so why not keep it and see if you use it. If not you can take it back later.
    Eden 9/04

At 19 months we're still using ours, and plan to until he's out of the crib. As pp said it prevents body part entrapment in the slats and prevents night wakings from bumping his hed on the crib.

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We decided we didn't want one in dd's crib. If she starts sticking her legs through slats, we'll get breathable mesh bumpers.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast