Default # of crib sheets needed?

Hi there.

I was just wondering how many crib sheets I realistically need? I've already bought two, but wasn't sure how many more I needed.

Thanks for the help as always! Amy

Default RE: # of crib sheets needed?

two is probably plenty if you have a laundry machine. If you have a very spit-uppy baby, you can get a third.
    One trick that I learned from a friend: layer crib sheets and mattress protectors (I was able to get 2 protectors and two sheets layered at one time). That way, if the baby makes a mess, you just pull of a layer. This is especially helpful if/when you have a bumper on the crib!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

tinkerbell1217 Guest

I started with 4 and I probably have bought three since. I think 4 or 5 is good especially if you hate doing laundry as much as I do!

Thamks!

I think I'll get two more and try the layering idea. That really sounds like a winner!

Amy

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Two or three. One to wash, one to "wear" and one in case of emergencies.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

amp Guest

Two will probably be fine, but I preferred to have 3. Like Caroline mentioned, you never know when you are going to need that 3rd one before the others get in the wash. One bad night can require 2 sheet changes! Luckily, that doesn't usually happen often.

We have 2 crib sheets (and one new in package that maybe I should return!) and it works well for us. But DD is not a spitter. We do have a sheet saver, it's like a lap pad that's covered with terry cloth that covers a section of the crib. That way, DD drools on that, I can easily take it off and toss it into the wash. Here's one: http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...33631%3A858977 I bought ours from BRU, for approx the same price.
    I think it's really useful, since changing the sheets can be a PIA, and we don't even have bumpers! :)
    Caroline
    Kaylin 6/5/04

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm not sure what climate you live in but we have 6 sheets...3 flannel/jersey knit sheets for the winter and 3 regular cotton sheets for the summer. Definitely defnitely layer sheets. If you don't have more than one mattress pad...you can layer with those waterproof crib pads like this one, it will be less bulky than layersing with the flown blown mattress pads.

I puchased these two things for our "waterproofing needs"
    http://store.babycenter.com/product/...b_bedding/5202
    http://store.babycenter.com/product/...equestid=54575

The crib pad set is discountinued now but I've seen it at Babies R Us and I'm sure Carter stores will still have them.

I didn't layer at first but after the first time I had to change sheets...boy layering with a crib bumper is really essential.

Not only do you have to worry about a spit up but pee...babies are bound to leak their diapers when they sleep and that's usually the reason I have to switch sheets. Since my son spits up all the time...I just use a receiving blanket that I tuck in over the sheets so he can drool and spit up all he wants and I can just wash the receiving blanket sinceit's not really going to seep through like pee will. Of course it all depends on your baby but anything that saves trouble with putting sheet on the crib helps tons!

Good luck!!