Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Room Darkening Shades?? Help

I want to install room darkening shades in my DD room. The morning sun hits her room and lights it right up. I am hoping she will sleep longer if it stays darker. And with Daylight savings time coming up it will soon be staying light much longer so I don't want to ruin our bed time.

Any suggestions? I've purchased some from JC Penney for other rooms but they are just "okay". Ppl here are always in the know, so I'm hoping for a great recommendation :-)
    TIA

Ashley

cbm Guest

Default RE: Room Darkening Shades?? Help

Hi Ashley,

I don't know about room darkening shades, but my DS's room had the same problem. I bought jeans curtains at Target. They worked great for us.
    I thought I would throw another option out there.

C.

karolyp is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got my "black out" curtains from Linens and Things, but Bed Bath and Beyond carries them as well. Their made from this fabric that's very heavy (many hotel rooms use them too) and I have put them up behind the curtains in DD's bedroom. Now if your crafty, I've seen that same material in Joann's for about $6-$7 a yard and so you can make your own for way cheaper.

Also, do a search in Nursery Necessities as this topic comes up a lot and you might be able to get some more great ideas.

HTH and good luck!

I have blackout cellular shades made by Bali in both of my kids rooms...they were a little pricey but WELL worth it. In one of DD's rooms the sun made her room very hot, the shades have helped with that too.
    Melissa

Mom to Emma (4/03), Kate (7/05), Sam and Claire (6/09)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH just installed some from Lowe's. Be sure to measure the windows first and they'll cut them to size for you. Then I would suggest usng curtains over them (even lightweight ones work) because light will creep in from the sides sometimes.

gour0 Guest

http://www.justblinds.com/dynamic/pr...m?productID=73

I have these, I think. :)
    I also have Bali ones I ordered through Lowe's . These are cheaper, but just as good, imo.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have black-out roller shades installed behind the curtains in every bedroom. DD's room has a denim curtain that blocks out a whole lot of light, but the cheap roller shade really does most of the work. We purchased ours at Home Depot or Lowe's and the most important thing to remember is to measure your window precisely. They can cut them to fit and light really can escape around the sides if you have too much of a gap on either side.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I got some from Home Depot, and they are definitely room darkening. As for style, they're just "okay." They seem to be falling apart, after three years but that's because I bought one of their decorative shade pulls which was a mistake.

I have it roll up under a valance so it doesn't show during the day.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

We had roller shades from Smith and Noble, plus curtains that my mom made. (The room darkening fabric was available on Joann Fabric's website.) The combination was great, really made the room much darker.

We just moved and I have Pottery Barn's room darkening drapes over the rental unit's mini-blinds--not nearly as effective because the mini-blinds don't block much light at all so it seeps through the middle of the drapes.

Hope that helps.

vdrake71 Guest

I second the Bali shades. Pricey but well worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast