Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    blnony Guest

Default Question about reselling clothes

In my Spring cleaning mode..I've realized that I have huge storage boxes of baby clothes that I really would like to sell. Most are 6-12 or 12-18 month and in really great condition. Most are gymboree and hanna or other name brand stuff.
    Here's the question...do you just sell it piece by piece on ebay (which would take forever) or do you do in a lot? Does that work very well? I just don't understand the process I guess, but I hate for all these things to just sit here and take up space.
    TIA everyone...I appreciate it.

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default RE: Question about reselling clothes

I've been most successful selling in batches. I usually put together 6-10 outfits in a size range and hope for the best! When you list and item, be sure to include the brand names, at least one or two, in the heading or spring for the extra line + include Gymboree, Hanna, etc. Also, including a picture with the listing helps as well. I always set a reserve so I've been very satisfied with the auction process. Hope that helps!

Imperia Guest

It totally depends on what it is. I sell on eBay all the time, mostly Gymboree but other stuff as well. In my opinion, for smaller sizes like those group them into outfits and sell them each separately. Or if you have a lot of a certain "line" you can sell them as say a 5 piece lot of whatever line. I wouldn't mix lines either if you want the highest totals because a) it's hard to squeeze in all the info on the title (which is how you get hits!) and 2) some people might not like one line but want the other and pass up your auction because it has things they don't want in it. In my experience you do NOT want to mix brands, especially not things like Gymboree with Carters etc that turns off die hard Gymbo fans. I buy a lot on Ebay a well and I ignore auctions with what I call "filler items". As for Hanna, if you have a "play dress/Day Dress" set sell that ALONE, they fetch a huge sum all by themselves (dress with capris, shorts or D/C). I find huge mixed lots often sell for much less than a person coule get if they broke things up; the only reasons to do huge lots are: you don't wnat to take the time to list separately or you have a lot of filler you need to get rid of.

I can give you some further listing advice if you want, just let me know and I will post some tips for you. I don't want to clog up the board if no one is interested.

Imperia

If you are selling all these clothes, you might stipulate in your details that you only ship on certain days, like Tuesday and Thursday, or whenever. I see alot of auctions like this, and I think it's smart if you sell alot on eBay. Otherwise, you'll be running back and forth to the PO or FedEx every day, which can get time-consuming.

The lots I usually are usually 95% good brands with a dog thrown in there. Which I would do if I had a dog to get rid of. For ex, I'll see auctions for 2 Hanna outfits, 2 Gymbo outfits, 1 BabyGap, and 1 Walmart brand (or Target, which I don't really consider a dog, but their clothes don't have alot of resale value). So if you lump it with the good stuff, it should sell. Of course, I'm always curious what people do with the extra clothes that they don't want from the lot.

Another option is to sell outfits, or pieces that mix and match. These I see alot of. Good, expensive stuff I would sell by itself. The main thing I find REALLY helpful when I get ready to sell on eBay is to look at completed auctions. I can find out so much info that way.

Of course, you should try the Yahoo BBB Swap group first. I'm sure all of us would love to get our hands on your cute clothes!! :)

No, Imperia, please post your eBay tips. I'm always looking for more info! :) Thanks!!

Imperia Guest

Default My tips on eBaying (LONG)

Thanks Maureen,

I am happy to share:

-The most important thing in eBay auctions is how you list. Your title is how you get hits, so think of how people might look up your item. If it's Gymboree SAY so, but it's considered bad ettiquette to list 40 pieces of no name brand and a pair of Gymboree socks together and say " Gymboree lot...." kwim? Good keywords include: NWT (new with tags), NWOT (new without tages), LN (like new), EUC (excellent used condition). Brand names : Gymboree, Hanna, Baby Lulu etc...(be VERY Careful though, don't list something as "like baby lulu" in the title that's keyword spamming and will get your auction pulled). If it's Gymboree say what line it's from or it will go for A LOT less in most cases. Don't use words liek "cute", "beautiful" "L@@K" in your auctions, it just takes up space and doesn't add anything to your title. A few other terms people look by: NR (no reserve) FS (free shipping BIN (buy it now).

-Take EXCELLENT pictures. Do NOT use stock pictures of Gymboree (or other brands) or borrow other people's pictures, this can get your auction pulled (copyright infringement). Bad pictures (unclear, fuzzy, dark, on it's side etc) will reduce your earnings. I like to take close ups of the pattern and add those to the auctions as well so people can see what the pattern looks like (or detailing if there is an applique etc). Post multiple pictures if you can. Another thing I personally hate it a huge lot with just a picture of a bunch of piled up clothes, ugh! It's ugly and I can't tell what is in there.

-Write a decent description, and honestly tell people about any flaws. Some people will tell you the description doesn't matter. I totally disagree, besides the more clear you ar ein your description the less email with questions you will have. If you don't talk about the flaws (rips, stains, tears, wash wear, fuzz, pilling, fade) and you send it to someone and they see it they might become VERY angry and leave you a negative.

-I perosnally do not ever use reserves for clothing auctions, and as a buyer if they have a reserve I will pass that auction up unless they state in the auction what the reserve is. In my opinion, it's a huge waste of my time to bid on an item and not win because of some arbitrary reserve that is being put up. Plus reserve auctions cost more (unless you meet the reserve then they refund it). For pricing I suggest two options: 1) do 99 cent auctions...I knwo this sounds VERY scary but it works really well. I do it all the time now and I make more than when I priced things higher (most Gymboree powersellers do 99 cent auctions, take a peek). OR List the item at the lowest you would be willing to accept. 99 cent auctions work because you will get a lot of hits, and they encourage bidding wars.

-Your feedback makes a huge difference. If you have very low feedback or none at all, I would build it up before selling on eBay. Some people won't buy from people (or pay as much) if they have low or negative feedbacks.

-As for the extras eBay tries to sell you to help your auctions along the only one I use consistently is gallery, and I always use gallery. That is what puts up the little picture on the side in the listings. I often search through auctions (as a buyer) by pictures alone because it's faster when I am looking for a specific item and I ignore ones without gallery.

-Make sure you state your terms clearly. What payments you accept (I suggest paypal and money orders only), do you ship to Canada? World wide? What happens if they don't pay? etc etc.

-Make sure your shipping is reasonable! People HATE to be gypped on shipping. Some people won't even bid on something that is obviously overcharging for shipping. I charge a flat fee of $2.85 (which includes first class mail with delivery confirmation) for all small outfits, pieces and lots. If it's a bigger lot (under a pound) it's cheaper (or almostthe same) to send it Priority Mail ($3.85 or $4.30 with Delivery Confirmation). Tha't atucally another reason I hate sending big lots, I don't have a postal scale and I don't like weighing things before hand to figure out shipping. YOu can using a shipping calculator but these can be inaccurate so watch out.

Okay, this is getting really long. I could probably post more but I will save you all =D If anyone wants to see what my auctions look like (as a model) you can email me and I will send you a link. I don't want to post it here and seem like I am spamming the board.

Imperia

Default RE: My tips on eBaying (LONG)

These are great!! Thanks Imperia!!

The other thing I learned from some article about how people have gotten some eBay steals because the product or manufacturer name was misspelled is to use every possible variation of the name when I'm selling or looking. If you're doing one on Hanna, use or search for "Hanna," "Hannah," "Hanna Anderson," and "Hanna Andersen" if at all possible.

And the picture thing is so true. The more I have, the more hits I get and the better price I get.

And I agree about reserves. I hate them and won't bid on them. I always start the auction at the lowest price I am willing to sell it for.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Definitely charge reasonable shipping - I have walked away from soooo many auctions in the last few months because someone is charging $4-5 or more to ship one toddler sized shirt or something.

You can download the USPS shipping assistant from www.usps.com and when you use that to make your shipping labels, delivery confirmation (for anything but priority mail) is only 13 cents instead of something like 55 cents, so you can save yourself some money there. DC is free on priority mail when you use the shipping assistant or print your label on the USPS site.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wonderful information. I have a bag sitting of baby clothes sitting here and have been wondering how to really sell them on ebay. I've sold three things so far (non-clothing) and so far shipping has cost more than I estimated for two of the three! But, your post is GREAT and gives me confidence to do this right!
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

s_gosney Guest

These are great tips. Am I right in assuming that if I want to sell dd's outgrown clothing (all fall/winter stuff so far), that I should wait until fall to do so?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast