Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ivparker Guest

Default Newbie "stupid" question.. Do I need to put pants over onesie?

I feel stupid asking this but I guess I have been feeling really nervous about being a mother and knowing what to do. Well, I was going through all the baby clothes I got from showers so that I could wash them and I noticed that I had tons of onesies which I know is good, but don't I need to put pants on the baby since the onesies just snap in the crotch area? Do they sell little newborn pants in the packs like the onesies? I have a few pants but not very many so I thought that maybe I should go buy some. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help. I'm so glad that I have you guys to ask these kinds of questions.
    Ivanna
    EDD 6-9-04

JenCA Guest

Default RE: Newbie "stupid" question.. Do I need to put pants over onesie?

I think it's perfectly fine to dress a newborn in a onesie and nothing else, if it's warm enough. My daughter was born in August (read: hot!), and she pretty much lived in nothing but onesies for the first couple of months of her life. The only time I ever put anything on over the onesies was if we were going "out", to have pictures taken, etc.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We used onesies without pants for a good part of Colin's first summer - in his case, he was crawling so it helped to leave his knees "free".
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

In the Summer, just a onesie is fine, although when we go out, I put something over it because a) I kind of think of onesies as "underwear" and b) I wanted to protect Sophie's skin a little more. I usually put a one piece romper or a little dress on top.

They also sell onesies that are a little more "decorative" than just the plain white ones. They're called "creepers".

Oh, and Target's Carter line has three packs of infant pants.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

cric is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I had the same problem with DS - only one pair of pants to put over short outfits for those cold days. I have a lot of shorts, but not pants. I didn't see the three pack mentioned above, but I did find a two pack from gerber by the onsies. The only problem is that there wasn't a big choice in colors. Light blue stripes and solid for boys, pink stripes and solid for girls. Maybe there is more, but not at the store I went to.
    Lynn - mom to 2 boys, Aaron (2-04) and Nate (2-06)

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love the little newborn pants. Ours were made by Carter's, but now I see that the Carter's Target brand (something Tikes/Tykes) has them as well. Also Hanna Andersson's wiggle pants are similiar.

We dressed Ds in onesies with those or footed pants, but he was a winter baby. By summer I didn't often leave him in just a onesie b/c it also seemed like underwear to me and we keep our house pretty cool. They're nice to put on under shorts/overalls/pants because when you carry them around their top doesn't ride up leaving a bare belly.

robmab719 Guest

My DD was born in January, so I put pants over her onesies for those first few chilly months. I found a good selection of knit pants at Old Navy and they were really reasonable...I'm thinking $3.99 a pair maybe?

Now that it's warmer and our onesie collection has migrated into the Gymbo creepers and bloomers, we're not wearing the pants anymore.

I have to admit we've never tried with our 9-week old. She has one outfit with pants, and they fall off. She doesn't have a waist.
    Is there some trick to this I don't get, or is it like the gowns with elastic bottoms, something that works only for babies not quite as kicky as mine?

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son was born in May, and we are in Southern California, so he spent most of his early months in just a onesie. If we were leaving the house, it would always be a onesie that looks more like a shirt, rather than an undershirt - you know, thicker, finished edges, usually with some picture or pattern on it. I was putting socks on him in the very beginning so he wouldn't get too cold, and also he would just wear sleepers all day sometimes, if we were indoors in the air conditioning. Oh, and I just remembered, somtimes when we would go out I would put short overalls over his onesie and that looked cute, but certainly wasn't necessary.

Just make sure you dress the baby not too hot and not too cold and you'll be fine. The other concerns are just fashion-related, and when a baby is that young I really don't think you should have to worry about fashion. Dress the baby in what you think looks good and comfortable!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

papal Guest

I agree with everyone else. Just a onesie is fine for in and around the house. But if you are going out, i would put a pair of pants or shorts on over the onesie. I really liked the newborn sweat pants i got at Old Navy (elasticated waist). They were (and are) the only soft, cute ones that actually FIT my tiny baby.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast