fate is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Spitup stains out of newborn clothes?

I packed away DD clean newborn clothes that were LENT to us and now 3 months later as I am about to return them I notice "new" yellowish stains everywhere. HELP! Do I soak , oxyclean hot wash what???
    Also how do I prevent this next time. I didn't know breastmilk stained.
    TIA
    -Kate

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Spitup stains out of newborn clothes?

I just had a garage sale and was mildly horrified by the state of the clothes coming out of storage. I am certain they didn't look like that going in! I'm an OxyClean freak, they went in the box clean. ;) I'd heard other people complaining about the same thing when pulling things out of storage but didn't really believe it until I saw it! Must be some enzyme or something.

I just ran them through a hot wash with OxyClean since they were being sold at a garage sale. Most came out fine. A couple items that I held back for others to borrow or to sell on eBay, I soaked in OxyClean, washed, and let them dry in the sun. I don't know if they are permanently clean, but they are clean for now! I'd warn the person who loaned them to you, just so you don't worry about her reaction in a few months if she's going to store them. ;)

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh thank you! I was sure I was hallucinating or something. I have some nice clothes of DD's that were all gifts that I wanted to save. I just pulled them out while cleaning and some of them have weird yellow stains too. I also did put them in spotless as far as I remember.
    I will try what the PP suggested.
    Thanks,
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

fate is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

It worked! I oxy cleaned in hot (still some stains) and then set them out in the sun for about an hour. Gone! What weird stains. I hope they don't reappear.

BTW Anyone know why they disappear and then reappear? And how to avoid in the future?

Thanks for the tips!

Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was scared of this happening. I washed all the clothes and packed them in those space saver bags. They had no air in them, so they should be ok. I also put them in my finished basement as opposed to a hot attic. I will be unpacking them shortly and will be interested to see if my plan worked! If not I will be Oxycleaning with the best of you!

Default Dumb OxyClean question

Do you use Oxyclean in addition to, or instead of, regular detergent in the wash?
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Dumb OxyClean question

In a regular load (whites or lights), I just add a scoop in addition to the regular detergent.

For soaking, I soak in a sink of hot, hot water, then launder.