Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How much would/did you spend for your toddler's boots?

It's a little bit early but I am already obessing over fall and winter boots for DS. Last year he transitioned from sandals right into snow boots via a very short shoes 'detour' as we moved from SoCal to Ukraine at the end of October last year. I am shocked at how much better brands such as Ecco Gore-Tex or Primigi boots cost here ($100-$150) and am trying to figure out how to get something nice and warm for the least possible amount of money. Last winter DS wore Kamik Zippy boots, which I got from REI for $25-$30 plus tax. They were warm and easy to get and off, which was a problem when DS kicked them off out of boredom while riding in his stroller in really cold weather. DH is travelling to the States next week and I want to order something nice, I'll save 30-50% vs Ukraine, but the bargain hunter in me just cringes at the though of paying full price.

I used to get good deals on NWT shoes from eBay but now that DS needs size 24 or 8, I don't see anything good and cheap in his size :(. Than again, it might be too early for boots. My best find so far is a pair of Jumping Jacks Bow Wow boots from Kidsurplus for $25 and Aster boots for $40 plus S&H from www.iftheshoefitsetc.com . What have you got or are planning on getting for your toddler for fall and/or winter? Please share. I need some ideas. We need waterproof boots with velcro. BTW, does anybody know if nubuck always waterproof or only when it specifically says so? ETA: what's better for a boot upper, suede or nubuck?

Do you think these JJ boots are too babyish for a 3 year old boy? http://www.kidsurplus.com/jjs-bowwow.html

Or would you rather get these 'older' looking Aster boots:
    http://iftheshoefitsetc.com/store/ca...t_detail&p=445

My backup expensive full price boots: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1533778...s/I_16384.html
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

newmomto3kids Guest

Default RE: How much would/did you spend for your toddler's boots?

I like the Aster ones. I spent $70 or so for both my bigger DC's boots last season and about $90 this season.
    But, they pretty much wear the boots all the time. I just like shoes that don't show socks, so I almost always buy a low boot.

Thanks, Cara. I am still trying to decide whether DS would need both fall and winter boots. If we can get away with having just one pair I would not mind paying $85-$90 for Ecco's, otherwise I'd like to keep DS' fall boots as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality as he won't wear them for very long, 1 to 1.5 months.

dules Guest

If you can get DH to go to a Marshall's/TJMaxx you might get good Eccos for $29.99. There were really cute brown nubuck ones today though I didn't notice if they had 24's. They looked sturdy but not particularly warm - so probably a good Fall boot for you.

I feel like I've seen those Gore Tex Eccos on sale somewhere. May have been Nordstrom's anniversary sale. :(

Best,
    Mary

smkinc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

You can get the same eccos as your back-up boots from nordstroms for $69.95.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2847753/...bo=6003919&P=1

DS had these last year, I got them on Zappos in Sept. and they were on sale for $45.95 (went back-up to ~$70 shortly after), so if you're not in a hurray you could keep checking back at Zappos.

These are the absolute best boots ever!!! They seem expensive, but DS wore these shoes daily for 6 months (I bought a bit big), and they still look great. We live in a very rainy climate and DS had to do major puddle jumping before the inside would get wet. I loved them so much that I was willing to pay full price for them this year, and I'm keeping my eye on Zappos to get a possible second pair.

Edited to add--we had the Bow Wow boots the year before and I liked those as well, but DS wasn't out in the weather as much (turned 2 during the winter). If you think you'll be outside a lot, I'd just get the eccos and skip these. If you'll mostly be inside, these are a good choice. They are very cute IRL.

HTH,
    Mary

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I spent $20 or so at Land's End for the sport boots the first year, and skipped them last year. Probably not what you wanted to hear...
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Thank you for taking time to respond to my post, Mary. And for pointing out a better deal on Ecco's at Nordstrom. I expect DS to spend a fair amount of time outdoors and plan on buying only one pair of boots per season so Ecco's might be that one pair given what you wrote about them. In your opinion would they be OK for fall as well as winter or would they be too warm? They are advertised as winter boots, which why I am wondering if DS would need an additional pair of fall boots. His fall shoes are Merrell Jungle Mocs.

Mary(dules)Thanks for the heads up on Ecco's in Marshall/TJMAxx. I'll ask MIL to check these two stores, she'd be delighted to have an excuse to shop there for DS.

amp Guest

Unless you are out for long periods of time in the freezing cold or very we stuff, I wouldn't spend a lot. We bought boots once, but DS refused to wear them anywhere and since he didn't love playing in the snow, it was fine not to wear the boots. The 2x he did want to play in the snow, it was cold, but not frigid and he was done in less than 30 min. Just not enough to justify expensive boots for us. I'd base how much you spend on how much you wear them.

We do need snow boots, something that can withstand both snow and cold. Last year I was not sure how much DS would play in the snow since it was his first proper winter but this is not my concern any more. And since we live in a big city and don't own a car we end up walking most places. I need boots to last at least 30 mins in cold weather that DS can hopefully pull on himselft (daycare recommendation). Just to give you an idea of our winter I attach a picture of the first big snow we had last year.

ETA: re-size image

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast