Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Help with ebay issue?

I'm new to ebay. I've bought some gymboree for DD. Most of the stuff has been exactly as described. One outfit was described as EUC. When I got it, I found a small stain on a shirt. Light, but noticable and about 1/4 inch diameter.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I'm sure it was an honest mistake and I would have paid the same for it anyway. But, it's not EUC (in my novice opinion) and I feel a little weird leaving feed back that indicates everything was fine because I'm guessing other people might care about a 1/4 inch stain. At the same time, I don't think it's worth wrecking her perfect feedback score.

Should I email the seller? Her auction made it clear she wanted to make sure everything was right. I just feel a little weird about emailing her because, really, everything was all right with *me*. Should I just forget about it? What's the proper ebay etiquette?

Please help my inexperienced self. :)

dules Guest

Default RE: Help with ebay issue?

I would absolutely contact her before leaving negative feedback. She probably did not notice and will offer you some $$ back, a refund or a chance to return at no cost. Feedback is so important and I *dread* that something like this will happen to me and I'll get a neg with no chance to make it right.

Once feedback is left, it cannot be changed.

Good luck.

Best,
    Mary

I agree with the PP. I would contact the seller and I'm sure they would work something out with you. I just had the same thing happen to me, except I was the seller. A lady contacted me and told me that she had found a small stain on a one piece outfit that I had overlooked. I offered her money back, but she wanted to keep the outfit. I think most good sellers are willing to work with you!

Ann

hudsonam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a similar thing happen to me with a wallet. It was listed as NWT, but it had a couple scratches on the back. Not super noticeable, and they looked like it may have happened when she was wrapping it up. I emailed her to tell her, but also said I was happy with my purchase, and then I left her positive feedback stating what was good (fast shipping, very nicely packaged, thank you). I would definitely contact the seller first and just say, "Hey, it doesn't really bother me, but wanted to let you know there is a small stain on such and such piece of clothing."

I'd certainly e-mail the seller precisely for the reasons you stated, it might not bother you but would be a deal breaker for someone else. I recently received a pair of 4T pants which were supposed to be 3T. I was a little bit disappointed as DS needs pants for fall and I took advantage of our visit to the States to buy a few things on eBay for the upcoming cold weather for him. The seller responded immediately offering to take the pants back and refund money, explaining that she is pregnant with two kids and they are building a house so everything is a mess. While I can't verify the seller's personal situation her attitude was 'on the money' and I left positive feedback for her and decided to keep the pants hoping they'd fit in spring or next fall.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Personally, if I were happy with the purchase I would leave positive feedback saying something like "satisfactory transaction". If you are hesitating because you are misleading future buyers...well, you aren't. For such a small flaw that even you think it might be overlooked, it obviously wasn't done on purpose, so the seller described to the best of his or her ability. It is a LOT of work to get this stuff on auction and packed off. It is easy to overlook something.

If on the other hand, you are not happy, I would email the seller and ask for a partial or total refund if that is what you want. I don't see the point in writing to say..hey, there is a stain, but it's okay. I DEFINATELY would not leave negative feedback. That would be very unfair and is a major ebay no no for a seller who was not been contacted or who has "made it right" with a refund. The one's who have given me refunds, I say something like "easy to work with...thank you".